how should i answer this?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by laurenmarie, Dec 18, 2013.

1. laurenmarie

laurenmarie New Member

Dec 18, 2013

Hi all! Okay so here's the deal... I've been pre-hired by a local school district and am guaranteed a teaching job. I still need to wait for calls from schools and go to interviews with principals. I have gone to 3 interviews but no luck and I have another interview this Thursday for a 5th grade position. I'm nervous but feel prepared for particular questions. I'm a little stuck on what I would answer for the following situation/question: How would you answer students when they say "You're not my real teacher!" or "We didn't do it this way" or "Why do I have to do this since you're not really my teacher?" This is a tough question for me as they will be 5th graders. Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 18, 2013

I'm confused.

Are you taking over for someone who left? If so, you are their teacher. Are you a substitute? If so, you are still their teacher.

I would think 5th graders would understand that you're taking over and things change. People do things differently.

Is that a real interview question, or are you just anticipating that from kids?

4. laurenmarie

laurenmarie New Member

Dec 18, 2013

yes, if hired i would be taking over as the new permanent teacher. i do agree that they would understand but i have had that question come up in an interview. i feel like i know what i'd answer however just wanted some advice/tips on how to answer this question if asked.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 18, 2013

How would you answer, laurenmarie?

6. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 18, 2013

I'm not even sure how to answer that question and am surprised they asked you that. I guess, it would be something like "I would be firm with the kids, ensuring that they understand that I am their teacher and will be until the end of the year. These will be the changes in here: X, Y, Z, these are the rules: A, B, C, and they will be enforced or else you will have these consequences: d, e, f." I was midyear hire last year and then left that position in September, so I have yet to be with a class from day 1 until the last day and have never had students even hint at I wasn't their real teacher...

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2013

"Sure I'm real-- I'm standing here, aren't I? And I'll be here for the rest of the year-- I'm the one who will be teaching the lessons, assigning the homework, doing the report cards, contacting the parents. Now, let's open our books."

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 19, 2013

I don't think this will be a problem... just say you are the teacher now.

9. laurenmarie

laurenmarie New Member

Dec 19, 2013

i feel like it is a weird question to ask because i honestly don't think kids are really going to ask that. but i would probably say something along the lines of having a conversation with the kids about how even though i'm not the same teacher they started with doesn't mean anything. both myself and their previous teacher have the same goal and that is to see each student succeed. i would also explain that while i will try to keep some of the same routines i want to make a few changes that will help them to be successful and that sometimes we may not like change but being open to it, it could really make things a whole lot better.

honestly, i have no idea and that's why i'm here. i will just hope for the best!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2013

I asked, lauren, because it works better for you if we help you work on the answer you've got rather than if we teach you an answer that isn't yours. You'll see this in teaching as well: one always starts with where one's student is. Alice suggested a much less wordy version of what you have - but her students are high school students, and she's very known where she is; in her school, she wouldn't need to say a word. If you think that terseness would work for you, use it - but in your own words, so it sounds like you. It's by no means a given that you have to be that brief, of course, and much depends on how much reassurance a given group of students is likely to be. If a teacher moved on to another job and left the students well prepared for transition, it makes sense to say much less than if, heaven forfend, the teacher had been fired suddenly during a break.

In an interview, of course, the students aren't actually your audience. The interviewers want to know that you can reassure the students and take charge of the classroom effectively without saying anything that shouldn't be said.