How selective should you be?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CDOR79, May 26, 2020.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 26, 2020

I’m currently and ELA middle school teacher. This is my first year of doing so. My principal basically put me in the spot; I didn’t ask for it and truthfully, wasn’t even wanting to but of course- I did as I was told to have a job...lol. I’m not crazy about the age and of all subjects..lol. Ive never been a big fan of ELA. Before this year, I taught 3 to 5th grades for 11 years and would LOVE to return to that age group.

I applied to a district a few days ago for a fourth grade position. The same district called me yesterday saying they saw my resume on the job site and asked if I’m
    interested in interviewing for a middle
    School ELA Special education teacher. I agreed and have one today at 2pm.

My question is, since I’m not in dire need to switch (I do still have a job at my private school), but have been trying to get a
    job in a PS for SO long, how selective should I be? Do I take anything I can get at this point to get my foot in the door- even if I’m really not wanting to teach a certain subject/grade? Do I make that known during the interview?Im wondering if I should say I applied for a fourth grade position, which I’d prefer to have...?

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 26, 2020

I suppose I'd consider the value. For the time being, do I value the grade/subject or the move to a new school?

If I were trying to switch to a district and it'd been a long attempt, I might open up what I'd take in order to make the move.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 26, 2020

I don't think that I'd make it known that you don't want the actual position you are interviewing for... unless you are okay with losing that position and staying where you are. If you really want to move to the new school, you need to pretend that you really want this position. I've been on interview panels with candidates who made it clear that they didn't really want the position we were interviewing them for. It was very clear that they were using the position as a stepping stone to something else. And they were immediately taken out of consideration because of it. Interview panels are looking for something passionate about the job they are interviewing for. If you're really not passionate about doing it, then you might just want to turn it down and keep looking. It really just depends on how badly you want out of your current school/role and what you're willing to do to move on to something different.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 26, 2020

I think a lot depends on how difficult it is to get into the district and how easy it is to transfer to another position once you’re already in.

For me, public school is better than private, charter, or private-public. I would happily and quickly accept a less desired position in a public school. That’s not to say that I would accept any position—it would have to be something I would enjoy, even if it might not be my absolute top pick.

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 26, 2020

If you really want in PS, it depends on how badly they need teachers. My guess is there will be many more PS openings next yr than expected. It seems to be some people get pigeon hold in some spots in some schools. Like I know SPED teachers who are qualified, but can't get a regular teaching job. I had it happen to me 1 year when I interviewed for a job. The P did a bait and switch on me during the interview. I understand why he did it though. He saw it as in his best interests. It is annoying though when they do that to you. It turned out though for the good because the next yr, he put me where I had wanted to be originally. Good luck!!!

7. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

May 27, 2020

I took a PS job in the worst middle school in a large urban district to get out of private schools. It was tough, but I worked with great people and learned so much. I would definitely do it again.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 28, 2020

Thanks so much for the replies! You all brought up great points. I definitely am eager to get into a public school system, so I will really be open to whatever comes my way. Let's just hope I have luck with finding something!

Thanks, again!

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 28, 2020

I say go to the interview.... and if you are offered a position, then come back and consider your options.... The willingness to leave private for public will likely be a bigger factor than the position?

10. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 28, 2020

I agree, Pi. I think I just have to get my foot in the door at this point.

I had the interview and I THINK it went well, although you can never really tell sometimes! It was for an inclusive position, but all special education students together on a basic level. I'd be teaching ALL subjects to just those groups of 6th and 7th graders. After the interview, it definitely sounded MORE appealing to me.

I didn't say anything about the other positions that are open. I said I would definitely be interested in the one the one I was in the interview for.

I don't have the exact "hands-on" experience they're looking for with some of the programs and stuff that I was asked about during the interview (like with IEP Direct) so I don't know how much of a contender I am at this point. They were also asking about how I track the progress of my students and since I really don't have a "formal" system or doing so, or keep anecdotal notesthroughout the year, I also think I might have "lost points" for that. I just responded saying exactly that: that I don't have a formal method, but do various ways to track itmyself and a lot of that is through ongoing formative assessments.

Of course I'm questioning ALL of the responses I gave now...lol. They said they would call back for a round 2 by the end of this week, if it got that far. So, we'll see! Iactually have another interview on Tuesday, so I'm SUPER excited about that!

I prob have to work on my interview answers. I guess if I don’t get called for round 2, that could be my clue. Lol

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 28, 2020

Make sure you write your thank-you letters and then try to move on. It’s difficult not to wonder if you could have answered this one way or another way.... but, in the end, you likely did your best.... are there other public districts worth applying to?

12. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 28, 2020

Yes, I did send a thank you email. Do you think I should send a hard copy too?

If I don’t hear from them by tomorrow (since he said end of the week), I think it’s safe to assume it’s a no. Moving on regardless. I swear this is JUST like dating!!! LOL

I am applying ONLY to public. I have the one on Tuesday, so we’ll see!

Tired Teacher likes this.