How sad

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2008

Wednesday night was the Christmas Tree lighting in Rockefeller Center in NYC. As a result, tourists POUR into the city, resulting in a "gridlock alert day."

(In case it's a regional term, gridlock is when a car enters an intersection without having enough room to get out of it. The light changes, and now the "box is blocked"-- the people who now have a green light can't get through because their path is blocked.)

Anyway, my extra credit on Thursday's test was to ask the kids what a Gridlock Alert Day was, and why we had one on Wednesday in NYC. (We're located 40 minutes away and get all the NYC radio stations.)

The sad part is this: of the kids who didn't know, the overwhelming assumption was that it MUST have something to do with terrorism. How incredibly sad that this was the first guess that most of my 14 year old students made.

(The second most popular wrong answer was that it had something to to with the stock market.)

When I was a kid, terrorism was something we learned about in school, not something that I ever would think of as an answer to this question.

3. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Dec 6, 2008

Times have certainly changed.:(

When I was a kid I probably would have guessed that "gridlock" had something to do with math!

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 6, 2008

It's a shame, but I grew up with trying to figure out The Bay of Pigs, Kennedy & King's assassination, and what to do if there was a nuclear bomb.

We live in a potentially violent society, I guess it's always been that way, we can hope it changes.

5. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Dec 6, 2008

What's even more sad was that as I was reading the first part of your post, I myself thought it had something to do with terrorism! I had no idea a gridlock meant what you explained.

6. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Dec 7, 2008

This is so true. I lived near DC in elementary school, and I remember regular duck-and-cover drills (under the desk, in the hallways) ... as if that would really make a difference in a nuclear attack.

We also dealt with the fights over desegregation, racial riots, the cold war, the Kent State shootings, and all manner of protests and unrest.

Some things improve, some seemingly just take a different form. Let's pray for true change.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2008

Wow! That really is a sad reality! :(

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 7, 2008

I always thought gridlock just meant the interstate had turned into a parking lot. That's what it means around here anyway.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2008

I'm sure it's a regional thing.

Funny story: a number of years ago, one of the NYC mayors decide he had had enough of gridlock. He wanted a law on the books that made it illegal to enter any intersection that wasn't clear to exit.

How embarrasing to find that such a law was already on the books! It just obviously wasn't being enforced.

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2008

Living in the Chicago area, I am well aware of gridlock! It drives me nutty!

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2008

Here gridlock used to be when someone's cow broke through the fence and was blocking the main drag. Now, we have so many developments that main drag is bumper to bumper from 2:45-6:30pm.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2008

OK, Becky, I have to admit:

If the same question were posed to me, even mutliple choice, there's NO WAY I would ever guess it had anything to do with cows!!!

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 7, 2008

Gridlock in Miami is exactly as you defined it for New York.

I suppose it's sad that the first thing they thought of was terrorisim, but as others have pointed out, violence is nothing news. I grew up in Miami shortly after the Cuban Missle Crisis, when it was still fresh enough on everybody's minds to have an impact on the way things were done 'round here.

14. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Dec 8, 2008

I can't believe that my freshman were in SECOND GRADE when 9-11 happened! It's all they've ever known......

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 8, 2008

Amazing isn't it! What kids have been exposed to (or not even alive for) always makes me take a few steps back.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 8, 2008

I was about to make a reference to Clinton's presidency a few days ago when I realized-they don't really know who that is! They are 7/8 years old, and have only ever had Bush as a president! Crazy!

17. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Dec 8, 2008

The kids probably assumed that because the term included ALERT, that it meant something in reference to terrorism. I can see how they might jump to that conclusion.

Thanks goodness we don't have much gridlock around here :)

18. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 8, 2008

that is sad that they thought of terrorism, really sad!

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 8, 2008

I once referenced the first Gulf War of the '90's and the kids all just looked at me like I was nuts. "you know, when we went to Kuwait to kick out the Iraqis..." "When did that happen Ms. X?" "It was in '91. I was in high school." "We weren't born yet. I was born in '94." oops

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 8, 2008

rws...I once mentioned the first WTC bombing....nobody had any clue.

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 8, 2008

I finally figured out your avatar, mmswm! for the longest time I couldn't figure out why you would have a goldfish in a colorful ocean, but I see the kitty now! I am so thick sometimes.

22. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

Not much of a gridlock chance here either. I live in a town of 1500 people and only ONE blinking yellow light! It does get a bit busy at that light when the local gas plant employees get off work!:lol:

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2008

Wow... my SCHOOL has over 2,500 kids :)