How Pervasive is Cronyism & Nepotism?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WordLover, Jun 6, 2017.

1. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

Jun 6, 2017

The district in which I live has a reputation for nepotism and cronyism. It happens to be the district I live in. I've had a few interviews over the past year but have not been hired. (I'm an older returnee with a 3.96 GPA, great letters, and an award.) I'm wondering how pervasive nepotism is. Do you find this in your district? If so, do you believe is it nearly impossible for those without relatives and friends to break in?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2017

My district is very large. I don't see these issues being much of a problem here, although I'm sure it happens from time to time.

WordLover likes this.
  4. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 6, 2017

It all depends on the area. There are districts around me with challenging urban populations that are less competitive to get into than the wealthier areas.

5. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jun 6, 2017

Rampant

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 7, 2017

I've never found it to be a problem. I've been teaching for over 15 years, and have never seen anyone hired because of nepotism or cronyism. Usually all of the candidates meet the requirements (or they wouldn't interview them) and they select the one who either brings a skill to the table that they need, or who would best fit in with the team already in place.

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 7, 2017

The first time I was non-renewed, I was replaced with someone who graduated from the system.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 7, 2017

hit or miss here. If you have friends in the system, you have an advantage. If you have friends in the district office, you have a job.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 7, 2017

I don't think that it is as great a factor as many job seekers think it is. If you get the job, you believe and share that you were a great fit, and your skills made you perfect for the position. Those who don't get the job are looking for "politics" as the scapegoat instead of admitting that someone more qualified was hired. I will never say that who you know might help, but could also hinder. I think it is the matter of perspective.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2017

My school board is one of the largest in my province. Our teachers' federation (union) is very strong and transparency in hiring practices is written into our collective agreement. Who you know may get your name "out there", but, if you aren't the most qualified candidate for a job, you won't get it.

11. Puppet Debris

Puppet Debris Rookie

Jun 22, 2017

I moved from a poor economically challenged area to a neighboring city (and just across the state border) that was rich in the energy sector (coal, oil, gas). The wealthy citizens seemed to want everyone think they were there to help the poor. The wealthy seemed to go to extremes to protect that image.
    I got a job in the wealthy school. My dept.chair (wife of an energy sector manager), actually told me that she did not want me to be hired - she voted against me. In the first month, when I entered my classroom one morning, there was a big jug of urine in the middle of my classroom floor. Next, one of my student's parents busted in my portable verbally and physically threatening me. My physics students came to my rescue - surrounding me. The parent told the police and the admin.it was because I tried to seduce his daughter.
    One strange thing after another kept happening.
    One of the things should have been a win for me. One of the teachers in my department - who seemed best friends with my dept.chair, got burned pretty bad -she said. Well, I just had my students in the lab and she had the lab after me. So she blamed her injury on me. She said that I did not clean up the shared lab and so she burned herself on a hot-plate that I left plugged in and turned on. This lab was in a portable, where it is hard to see inside, so she probably had no idea that my mentor teacher was observing me! Yes, let me repeat that. MY MENTOR TEACHER WAS OBSERVING ME! After I was called to the office, got in trouble, etc. sign something, I went to my mentor teacher and asked if he noticed that I had the students in a very orderly fashion follow safety rules, unplug all hotplates, clean-up, etc. He said "I thought so," and I continued to ask him. I reminded him how I had students start with hot-plates so they would cool, how I personally went around to each lab station including the teacher's demo.table, counted all the returned hot-plates, etc. He agreed that I was very thorough in the clean up and safety check. Then I told him about the teacher who accused me. He seemed to back off, but he did say that if they asked him, he would just tell the truth of what he observed.
    One strange thing after another happened. Even my own children were accused of things. I had to go defend my own son who was accused of taking a drug. I had to talk to the police and when I finished, one of the police asked me to repeat something and without telling me exactly what it was he realized, he actually went out to the school administration and told them to release my son immediately.
    Now before I took that job, I did talk to a guy who used to be a principal there. He said the whole district staff were a bunch of cronies. At the time I just thought he was saying that. I really didn't believe it or understand it. I just heard from others that it was a nice city and school district.
    But here is another one I have to tell you. This is the one that broke the camel's back and I was put on admin.leave. I had another mentor teacher. She observed me during a class that was the greatest challenge for me. She said "I want you to go help that group in the center of the room." Now I have been in the habit giving games in which groups rotate and solve problems set up by other groups. I tried to tell my mentor it would be difficult to help that group at that time because it would be hard to position myself so as to see the whole class at the same time. She replied that she would watch the class while I helped that group. I agreed. While I was focused on helping that group, two other students started a small fire. I put out the fire, but there was a lot of smoke in the room. I decided that it would be better to open the windows and doors rather than pull the fire alarm and evacuate the whole school. I guess that was the wrong decision, but the room (another portable) did air out quickly. But that was the straw. It was April 3, and the long time superintendent put me on admin.leave for the remainder of the school year. She had the principal deliver the notice in which she said it was because of the many incidents and complaints from parents.
    Probably not everything that happened was intentional, but I don't know. For example, I was suspicious about a truck that would back up to my air-conditioning unit (swamp-cooler) and just sit there with the motor running while I went into the main building. This happened a few times. When I returned to my room, it was obviously filled with exhaust.
    There were many times that I honestly wondered if I was going to get out alive - I actually wondered if they would have someone kill me.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 24, 2017

Despite the prior post, I think it is not as rampant as people would like to believe. If you champion that as the reason you didn't get the job, people will nod their heads knowingly, because we have all been programed to believe that cronyism is a real thing. While real, it's just not the reason every time someone fails to get the job, IMHO. Some applicants are only a legend in their own minds, some have never overcome defeat before, some are bad in interviews, and some will be so stellar or well suited for the job that no one could deny them.

teacherintexas and ready2learn like this.
  13. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 24, 2017

:yeahthat:
    I don't think it happens as often as some think.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 24, 2017

I'm sure it happens on occasion, but I don't have any examples to prove that it does. I do have a couple examples of where it didn't happen.

One member on our committee had a cousin apply. That member did not participate when interviewing the cousin, nor did she vote on that candidate when the committee discussed all candidates. The cousin was not our first choice and was not offered the job.

A past principal had a daughter become a teacher. The P had an opening for her daughter's preferred grade. She didn't hire her. The daughter went to work for a neighboring district.