How Our Stray Cat Adopted Us

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Feb 2, 2012.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 2, 2012

There are tons of stray cats around here. We have one that has decided to adopt us. He came in our house via my youngest son one day and was stubborn about leaving. When we did put him out, he followed my son to the bus stop every morning. He would also greet me outside and follow me, you guessed it--right back into my home. He would throw his whole body in front of me with his paws in the air and his belly face up for petting. When any of us walk around the neighborhood, he might as well be on a leash because he literally walks in step with us. I accepted it early on and let him him, took care of him, etc. Heck, sometimes I have to walk him like a dog (with an imaginary leash) because I'm not sure he goes out enough to pee though I don't see any evidence of him using it in the house. My husband was the last to get on the welcoming wagon but the cat won him over too. Everyday when he comes in the house, the cat waits for him to sit at his desk chair and then welcomes him home.

He's old and not very playful but he is very laid back and very sweet. He can always be found laying somewhere next to one of us.

3. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Feb 2, 2012

he sounds like a charmer... smart and lucky cat!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 2, 2012

Persistent too! I want a home. I know you can give me one. I will love all of you if you just let me in. On second thought, I'm gonna come in one way or another anyways. You might as well love me because I already love you.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012

My kids found our youngest cat abandoned in a paper bag under our neighbor's motorhome. It was so young it didn't know how to drink out of a saucer or eat solid food and was starving and flea ridden. I said no (already having 3 dogs and 1 cat) but she was persistent and would walk right in our house despite the alpha cat and the 150 lb. dog, looking pathetic and cute. I was leaving for the weekend, and warned my husband I didn't want to find another cat when I came home, but you know I did.

Her name is Purdy because she used to suck on her tail like a pacifier and purr to put herself to sleep. Another interesting fact about her is she is a big "talker" with lots of different calls. Our other cat didn't talk at all, but now he does too. We even recognize a lot of her words - there is one we all come running to because we know it means she is bringing a "trophy" into the house. She is a lovie cat, and rarely sleeps alone, warming up one of us or another (or one of the dogs).

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Feb 4, 2012

What a nice story. I love cats. :)

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 4, 2012

There is another stray here that is a big talker. I think he tried to hook us in too but couldnt figure out how we were on a different floor. My neighbor said he hollered at our apartments for a few days but I can't hear so I didn't come out and talk to him like I did when he cornered me the first time.

There was another one that had an owner that talked to you the whole time you held him (and he wanted to be held all the time). When he wasn't being held, he didn't talk.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 4, 2012

That's how we got our second dog. He just showed up and started hanging around. He meets me at the car every morning and every afternoon. He sticks right to my side every afternoon when I take my walk around the neighborhood. He won't come inside, though. He loves our dog, so I'm not sure why he won't. One of our neighbors had a pit bull who use to come over every afternoon and come inside for a nap.

Sounds like you have yourself a cat who knows how to win a home.