How On Earth???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Christina Ard, May 10, 2017.

  1. May 10, 2017

    I recently went back to school and earned my Elementary Education degree (and I am in my 40s), however, I did it online while holding down a full-time job in a completely unrelated field of work. Because I earned my degree online while working, I was unable to do any student teaching or interning prior to graduation. I will be taking my final certification exam next week, which I hope to pass, and then I will be certified to teach in Florida.
    All of that leads me to my lead question...How on earth do I get my foot in the door since I do not have any formal teaching experience. I am currently at a good job with decent pay and I could just stay at it, however, I would be missing out on my "dream job," the one thing I have always wanted to do with my life.
    I seriously doubt I can walk right into a full-time teaching position, especially since I live in a town with three major colleges/universities so my competition is young and cute and full of energy.
    Any suggestions on how I can get my foot in the door without having to sub (my family needs a steady income). I don't have any contacts in the school system to help me out either.
  3. Linguist92021

    Linguist92021 Phenom

    Feb 4, 2010
    Likes Received:

    May 10, 2017

    You're going to have to sub. Most teachers end up doing that, even with student teaching experience. You don't need any experience to sub, so you won't have a problem getting that job. Sign up for a couple of districts around you so you can work consistently. You probably won't get any jobs now since it's the end of the year, but this is the best time to apply at all districts to get in for next year.
    A lot of subs are not credentialed teachers, so make sure you buy business cards and put on them that you are credentialed.
    Backroads likes this.
  4. phillyteacher

    phillyteacher Comrade

    Jul 28, 2015
    Likes Received:

    May 10, 2017

    Are there any areas nearby with less desirable schools/ teacher shortages that would be a reasonable commute?
  5. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Jun 10, 2007
    Likes Received:

    May 10, 2017

    I agree that subbing may be your best bet unless you are in a super high-needs district.

    I'm surprised that you are able to get a teaching license without student teaching. Even many ARL programs have a student teaching component or something like it.
    SageScience likes this.
  6. christie

    christie Rookie

    Jan 1, 2013
    Likes Received:

    May 10, 2017

    We have a student teacher at our school who did her degree online, but still needed to do student teaching before she would qualify for a license. If you have no experience in a classroom, I think you're going to find it nearly impossible to get hired. Your best bet will likely be in late August because teachers who do meet all of the requirements will have been hired by then.

    I think you're going to need to find a way to get into an internship or similar. It's hard enough to teach with that experience. I can't imagine what it would be like without it.
  7. Caramac48

    Caramac48 Rookie

    Feb 7, 2016
    Likes Received:

    May 11, 2017

    I would definitely recommend getting hired on as a substitute teacher for next year, but still apply for jobs once you have your statement of eligibility from the DOE. If you have not applied to the Florida Department of Education go ahead and get it started, they will send you a statement of eligibility which tells you whether you have anything outstanding to qualify for at least temporary certificate. Florida allows you to hold a temporary certificate without student teaching, and if hired the school district will put you on a PEC program to complete anything your course did not cover.

    I actually was in a similar situation at the beginning of this academic year I had done all my courses except student teaching at Polk State College. I also still had my GK exam outstanding. I was subbing for Polk and Lake county and this led to me being offered a provisional teacher position teaching fourth grade and as my temporary certificate was in a different subject I had to do the Elementary exam before I was promoted to teacher. My time in the classroom will be considered the same as student teaching, and my principal will just have send my evaluations to the college to satisfy my student teaching units. However, in your case the internal district PEC program should also cover this requirement.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Corey Furlong,
  2. Alice Mark,
  3. williampartin
Total: 290 (members: 6, guests: 267, robots: 17)