how on earth do I teach grade 4 and 8 at the same time???

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by nicolek, Sep 16, 2006.

1. nicolek

nicolek Rookie

Sep 16, 2006

Hi all,

If anyone has some suggestions i would really love to hear them. I am teaching grade 8 science, but in my class there are about 15 students on modified programs. Most of them are at about a grade 4 level in science, while the other 10 students are very smart and will do well in the regular grade 8 program.

How do I go about teaching this class? So I treat it as a split class? The tough part comes when there are movies to show, or field trips to go on. The curriculum is very different from grade 4 to grade 8 and there is little to no overlap in the subjects we will be covering throughout the course.

What do I do????? Thank you!

3. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 17, 2006

Is there any way you can split them into two groups and cover the same topic in both groups? Just cover the topic at different levels?
    Ie: Have the regular group prepare their own slides for the microscope; with the modified group you prepare one slide and they look at it. The regular group must draw & label a diagram of a cell; give your modified group a diagram & word bank which they must colour and use the word bank to label. (I have no idea if these are topics you cover but it was the first one that popped into my head for illustrating my point.) It would solve your movie & field trips problems. Also, it might boost the confidence & motivation of your modified program students if they see that they are covering the same topics as the "smart" grade 8s.
    Unless there is no way around it, I would avoid teaching gr. 4 and gr. 8 science together - I think that would drive any teacher insane. Maybe I am just misunderstanding your post, but at the school where I teach modified program usually means they receive the same content only with reading material, worksheets or work requirements which fit their capabilities. The only time we would have a student on a modified program covering material for a lower grade is math or language.

4. nicolek

nicolek Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

thank you for your ideas. I do have to teach the grade 4 science to these students though. If I was just to give them the same subject but different worksheets etc then their program would be an adapted one, not a modified one. They get a different report card and everything for the modified program, soessentially they can still recieve an "A" in science when they are in grade 8, however there will be a note on the report card stating that they are working on a modifed program in science...it is all quite complicated!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 17, 2006

Are you sure that you have to teach them 4th grade science curriculum? If I were you I would check on it. PurpleTweety's explanation of her modified program seems correct to me and will meet IEP requirements for a modified program.

6. appleaday

appleaday Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Hi! I also teach 8th grade science and, believe me, I have all levels of learners in my class! What I do is teach the same material to both groups and modify the assignments. This way all students are learning, yet their assignments are on their different levels. I work in a rural agriculture community that has a high level of migrant students and some of them told me that they have not had a science class since 4th grade, some of them told me that they never had a science class, which I have a hard time believing. I have six ELL students in my class that are at the very beginning levels of the English language. I admit, it is difficult, but I am not going to teach different subject areas just because we didn't start out on the same page, but I will modify the lessons so that each student is able to progress at their own level. I hope this helps some. By the way, I'm frustrated too. I applied to teach at the K-3 levels and was assigned to 8th grade science. It will be an interesting year.:rolleyes: