How old is your school building?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 8, 2010

Mine is 6 or 7 years old. I like the way my classroom is arranged. There is carpet all over, so no noisy chairs :) That drives me nuts!! I have a sink, and each child has a cubby. I also have a large whiteboard and a good amount of storage space. The best part is I have a heating/cooling system that I can actually control. :cool:

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 8, 2010

Um...ours is 70 years old. :eek: (We're actually supposed to get a new building next year). The rooms that are being used for particularly early childhood were not designed that way-they are very small. We are busting at the seams-lounges were turned into classrooms. The other headache is when they added the connections for internet drops they didn't really consider where to put them strategically-no outlets anywhere near the drops, hello!?.

It's a landmark of the community though and we get parents all the time who went to school there themselves-so that's kind of cool.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 8, 2010

My school is about 40 years old. We've got a very 70's school design. It would be very identifying if I mentioned what that design is, so I won't, but most of us would love to just have a real classroom with four walls.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 8, 2010

I went to school in 5th and 6th grade that had no walls. I hated it!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2010

The oldest part of our school was built in 1954. It has been added on over the years. The newest part is a gym built in 2009.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 8, 2010

I think our building was built in the early 90's. Our corporation has taken really good care of the building and it still looks very good.

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2010

My HS was brand new in 71 and we had no walls. Then my first
    year I taught in a middle school with no walls. I liked it.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2010

Ours is over 30 years old, and it's starting to show! The room I'm in was definitely not designed for 42 desks, either.

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 8, 2010

Ours is a little over 100 years old!!!

11. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Nov 8, 2010

Ours is around 50 years old, but they've added 2 wings onto it since then.

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2010

The main part of our building is about 60 years old. The elementary wing is about 20 years old and the new wing is about 8 years old.
    My classroom is in the oldest wing. when they built it, they put in huge windows in all the classrooms and then covered them up in the 60s or 70s because of the heat loss in the winter. We do have central air now, that was put in about 3 years ago.
    I think our building is really well maintained for its age. I have been in buildings in neighboring districts that aren't as old that are in horrible shape.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 8, 2010

We have three wings: one which is 3 years old, one which is 15 years old, and another which is 25 years old. The Social Studies department is split between the 3 year old wing and the 25 year old wing. Both wings have just as much technology and since my office is closer to the old wing, I much prefer teaching in the old wing.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 8, 2010

44 years old. The plaque commemorating the building of the "new" building is posted right outside my room, so I see it every day.

But, we are looking to expand and remodel within the next year! :thumb:

15. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 8, 2010

The best thing about my old building is that the locks are original. So I have a skeleton key as the key to my room. :)

16. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2010

The main part of my school was opened in 1938 just in time for WW2 (It began in 1939 over here)! Then it was shut down and converted into a hospital, it returned to being a school after the war. It has some 1960s additions.

The school I went to as a student was built in the early 1800s but didn't become a school until 1927. When my youngest son saw it he exclaimed 'Daddy, you went to Hogwarts'!

17. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 8, 2010

schools around here range from 100 years old (the elementary schools) to 50 years old (the high schools)

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2010

Our main building was built in the 60's (and definitely reflects it--the floors are a yellowish-gold color). Part of it was built after a fire (I think 30 years ago?), and the new wing (where I am) was built less than 10 years ago.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2010

My school is about 10 years old. The classrooms aren't huge, but we run small class sizes so the rooms fit.

I would love to teach in school that had a lot of history. I went to a school that used to be the first college in town and another school that was built in the early 1900s. I love history like that though!

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 8, 2010

Skeleton keys and Hogwarts! So cool. We're in an old Victorian building with a ton of history. It was built in the early 1900's, but after the earthquake. There are rumors that it was a mortuary at one time, but those have been dispelled. I love the feel of it, but it is falling apart. The doorknob on one of my doors finally gave out today after almost a year of struggling with it. And the baby area was closed today due to a leak.

21. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Nov 8, 2010

I don't know exactly how old the building is, but the newest part is around 50 years old. The oldest part of the building was built between 30 and 40 years years before that.

22. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Nov 8, 2010

We still have skeleton keys for some of our doors too! But most have been updated to newer locks.

23. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Nov 8, 2010

My school is a year old. I wish my room was bigger.
    I miss my old school though. It was built in the 70's and has large rooms.

24. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 8, 2010

Not as old as me!

We just celebrated the 50th anniversary of our school building last year. We're lucky that the district has spent money on a regular basis keeping everything modern. We've been told not to expect any improvements until the local economy gets better, so it could be a while before we see any more improvements.

25. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 8, 2010

I'd say it's about 50 years old. It's a charming building, VERY large with more than one floor, which is great, but some of the wood is rotting in the cabinets which the mice love, which means we're pretty infested. So far I've only had two mice in my classroom -- one in the garbage can and another that peed all over my computer paper that I had left out by the printer. It was so disgusting!

26. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Nov 8, 2010

The building I teach in was built in 1939. We are moving to a new building next Christmas. I'll miss this building, though. It has huge columns out front -- lots of character.

27. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Nov 8, 2010

Our building is around 80 years old. It was a church, then remodeled as a school. It's had a number of renovations, and I have a sink and drinking fountain in my classroom.:) Thank goodness for the person who thought to put them in all of the classrooms! The classrooms are pretty big, and a few years ago the classrooms were carpeted. We have desks and chairs that are only a few years old, and wireless internet. It really is pretty nice for such an old building!

28. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Nov 8, 2010

79 years old. Good sized rooms, but you cannot do anything that would pierce a wall- asbestos in the insulation!

29. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 8, 2010

over 100 years old and I have a fireplace in my classroom (not a working one)

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2010

The original part was about 70 years old. Since then, there have been five additions built to it and the original torn down. It's a crazy mismatch of styles, but the front looks cohesive since that's the last part built.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 8, 2010

Our building opened in 1998.

I picked out my classroom when the building was still under construction, and I've been there ever since!

32. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 8, 2010

About 15 years old and in good condition with two exceptions...

- The roof leaks like mad. (I am amazed when the fire inspector writes us up for stuff hanging from our classroom ceilings that might interfere with the sprinklers during a fire and ignores puddles of water in our florescent light fixtures that might cause a fire.....no, I'm not exaggerating)

- We have several exterior doors that won't lock properly and our school gets broken into yearly.

33. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2010

34. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 9, 2010

50+. I think 53 or 54 years old. Actually, my school was originally a segregated High School before being retasked as an Elementary School. It's workable with many problems. After a while, you hardly notice what's not available for working with what you have.

The new school has been overdue for quite a while and we're supposed to be moving in after the New Year but I'm predicting February. I'm really excited. Never been involved with a new building.

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2010

Our school is 7 years old--I started here in its second year.

36. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2010

This is the 6th year my school building.

37. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 9, 2010

I think mine is around 40 years old, but there was a wing and a gym added on at some point. I'm in the original part of the building.

38. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2010

The original school was around 70 years old, but hadn't been kept up very well & was demolished this summer. We're in portables this year and will have a brand-new building for next school year :) except I'm not thrilled with the new design.

39. joe22k

joe22k Rookie

Nov 9, 2010

This is the 5th year for the building I am in. It is a nice building, even though the building can feel a bit cold

40. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 9, 2010

My school is in its 5th year. It's a gutted HEB Pantry (a grocery store), and I love it. The classrooms are a bit small, but it's okay.

41. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

OH GOSH! I can't complain enough about my school. It was built in 1969 and has a very unusual layout. First of all, all the classrooms are built in wings to one side... there's about 60 classrooms that use 5 giant hallways... these hallways all lead to two main hallways that disperse to the gym, cafeteria and auditorium. With almost 1700 students, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get from one side to the other in less than 6 minutes (we have 4 minutes in between periods) so I always get students coming late.

Our windows don't open up/down, but side to side. This causes rooms like mine to get half the air supply it used to get. Additionally, I had a window fall out about 4 years ago because of faulty construction work.

As for the new addition, which I'm in now, it's a marvelous work of crap. (You get what you pay for, let me tell ya!) Our heating system does NOT work. We don't get heat. For whatever reason, it never makes it into the classrooms and actually gives off ICE cold air. We can't get them fixed. I had my heater covered with textbooks to prevent the cold air from coming in and got in trouble as it was going against NYS law (requiring fresh air enter a room).

We have cheap storage shelves that fit. The shelves literally don't fit into the book shelves because they're too big. We have them angled.

Our floors are cracking because we used cheap linoleum and our lighting is horrendous.

Nonetheless, I love my classroom. It's large and can nicely fit 30 desks with tons of leg room.

(Oddly enough, our THREE year old classrooms only have 4 outlets total: 2 in the front, 1 in the ceiling and 1 in the back....????!?!??)