How often....

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TulipsGirl, Oct 22, 2007.

1. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Oct 22, 2007

How often do you find yourself having to redirect/deal with chatting or mild disruptions in one day? In my first grade classroom, though they are excited to learn new things and I really try to vary methods and make things interesting and fun, some days, I feel like there is a constant hummmmm in the background!!

They are just so very chatty.

Is it unreasonable to think it shouldn't be this way from 6 year olds?

I plan to keep doing group activities, things that allow them chattiness.... but any ideas for how to keep them quiet for the 5-10 minutes at a time that I need to actually do frontal teaching? Where I am speaking and no one else, unless they raise their hands?

If I'm being unreasonable, please let me know.

Also, I'm into natural consequences -I feel they "work" best. But I'm at a loss as to what would be appropriate here, and how often I should expect to have to dole them out. Can students really control themselves that much where it is totaly silent, at this age?

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2007

It is not to much to expect for he kids to listen silently for 5-10 minutes at a time. Actually they should be able to listen for a bit longer but each group is different. I have a very chatty class this year and I have found that whenever they start I stop everything and make them stop. I remain VERY consistent with letting them know when it is OK to talk and when it is OK not to. The first few weeks of school were like this, stopping often to redirect. Now I feel I have a pretty good handle on things and they do listen for periods of time. The key is to remain consistent.

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

It definitely isn't unreasonable for you to expect them to listen quietly for 5-10 minutes. Last year I had an extremely chatty class and had trouble even getting through 10 minutes with them. What I usually did was explained the WHOLE activity very quickly, so they would have something to look forward to (math game, hands on activity, etc.) and I told them the more they listen, the sooner they would get to _______ (insert fun activity). The more they talked and didn't listen when I was teaching, the longer they would have to sit there....it usually worked very well.

I haven't had to use it that often this year because my class isn't very chatty, but maybe I'm just used to a little hum since my class last year was so loud...

5. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Oct 23, 2007

I'm also looking for suggestions in this area. I'm teaching a k-1 class and in the morning when it is just the grade ones (only 15 of them) it is very manageable, and usually only 1 or 2 students need a redirect reminder. When the k's come in the afternoon it seems like 10 of them can't keep it together. I feel bad for the other half who are consistently well behaved and waiting, and I can tell they are getting frustrated by their classmates as well. There are two boys who are extremely disruptive and I've had to ask them on multiple occasions to go back to their desks (it is mostly when we're on the carpet for instruction). Everyone works really well on their tasks for the most part, but it is painful to get through the instruction period every time. I agree that it is difficult to place logical consequences. I have tried being extremely positive for good behaviour, we have an classroom incentive chain for good work habits & being caught good, and for a secret worker. With some of these kids it's like they literally cannot control themselves. Any advice is much appreciated!

6. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Oct 23, 2007

Thsbk you all for your replies - much appreciated!

Maroki - Yes, I do that as well - I'll tell them about the exciting things coming up that day, and they know that if we don't get to them, it is probably because I needed to wait for them so often. I think there are some kids that are so caught up in the present and what THEY want to do , that they aren't even thinking about the future and how they will miss out. It is so very frustrating. And what do I say to the moajority of the class who also gets frustrated that they lose out?

Emma - how did you "make them stop"? When four kids consistently ignored me the other day, and the rest of the class waited for silence, I kept those four in from a special for the time they kept me waiting. I explained that if they waste my time and time from learning than I need to find another time to make that up.
    I was very calm and matter of fact, and they seemed dissapointed by the consequence, but I have a bad feeling that I'm going to need to do this often...
    Is this the type of method you used?