How often should I zap my goggles???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BioAngel, Dec 3, 2009.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 3, 2009

Technical question :)

We started a chemistry unit and I wasn't given any directions on how often I should "clean" my goggles in the UV cabinet. I gave them a 15 minute cleaning yesterday (we started today) so they would be ready. Today, I've been zapping them for 5 minutes after each of my classes.

Is that too much??:confused:

3. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Dec 3, 2009

That is as long as I do mine between classes. I then zap them for about 15 minutes at the end of the day.

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 3, 2009

Too much UV can haze the plastic, but that would be like daily shots throughout the year. Sometime take some alcohol pads to them to clean residues that UV light won't remove.

5. BioAngel

Dec 4, 2009

Thanks for the input. We just use them for 1 unit so hopefully they won't get hazy. It's only the second day of using them and the kids are already complaining :)

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2009

Is this a regulation? I doubt the ones in my lab get cleaned once per year!

7. BioAngel

Dec 4, 2009

I'm honestly not sure if its by law--- I don't think it is, but I know certain safety stuff has to be in place for a science lab. I looked up yesterday how much my UV light box costs and it was over $600!!!!

The parents are my school can be a little paranoid at times with kids getting sick and since I'm touching the goggles a lot I don't want any bacteria spreading to me.

I would assume just washing them once in awhile with hot water and soap to be a good idea... but I'm a clean freak lol :)

8. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 4, 2009

Not law anywhere around here but good practice- rather ironic if the safety equipment were to spread disease! We use those alcohol pads on keyboards, doorknobs, and other high use areas. A bug box of them is $2 at drugstores. Plus the pads get out Sharpie grafitti and tape residue.
    Be sure to take a lot of pictures when they have the goggles on- the stereotypical science experience!