How often should a teacher post grades?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Nov 24, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 24, 2013

My school is required to post grades every other week. My child's school, which is in a different county, obviously has no such guideline. My child hasn't brought one single work sample home this year. I suppose the teacher is keeping them for her records. He is not doing well. At all. He's in third grade. I have checked and NO GRADES have been posted since receiving his report card three weeks ago. I have received no work samples. I have absolutely no idea how he is doing in class. I am concerned. I have talked to the teacher multiple times about keeping me informed about how he is doing in class. She agrees, but then never follows up. I have gone as far as to complete a chart for her where she can just write down his progress and behavior for the day. She completed this one day. So, obviously there are more issues than just grades. But, back to my original question....how often are you required to post grades?

3. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Nov 24, 2013

I am required every two weeks, but I post grades at least 3 times per week. Sometimes it's just a homework check or something, but they get at least 3 items in a week.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

We post grades in the classroom once per week. We have to post them online once per week as well, but I usually update my online grades every day.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

I post grades as soon as I grade work. In my electives class students turn in daily work, so I just print out grades and post them on the wall once a week. In my English classes however they don't turn in classwork until every 2 weeks, and then they take a test as well. I'm trying to change that.
    My P is ok with it, because she knows my system, but I started to give them quizzes in the middle of the lesson so I have something to update (and of course for other obvious reasons as well)
    We don't have anything online, because our students / parents would not check it.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2013

We are mandated to update our online grade book weekly. I try to show the kids their grades once a week, but I do not post anything in my classroom. Also, I NEVER let students take anything major home (tests, papers, quizzes, projects) and rarely do my students seem to care (I teach HS). This is for my own protection.

I will let kids take photos of their grades if they ask to (I've had this happen twice so far this year). I also tell kids that I can call home or email their parents if they want me to tell them about a good grade, but they never do.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2013

I know one grade level posts grades just before the end of the grading period which means four times a year.

I like entering grades immediately after scoring.

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2013

I and many other teachers at my school post grades weekly on the online grade book that is visible to students and parents. It's really motivating to my students. They enjoy seeing their efforts pay off and they like being able to see missing a assignments (my students take 7 classes and it helps them stay organized). I thought I would find it a hassle to post grades so often, but it's turned out to be a timesaver for me. For the first time, I don't have massive grading to do when report cards are due (every 5 weeks). I have all my class work and warm ups finished and just have to enter longer-term assignments like tests, notebooks and longer written assignments.

9. mazzystar

mazzystar Rookie

Nov 24, 2013

We have to post them once a week.

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2013

Weekly. There should also be some grades to post weekly.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 24, 2013

We don't have a requirement on when we need to post, but we have a minimum number of grades in each category that we're supposed to have per semester.

I post everything at the end of each unit, which works out to every 2-3 weeks.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 24, 2013

I think we are required to update our online grade books weekly, it could be bi-weekly. I honestly don't know, as soon as I grade something I put it in the grade book. I'm pretty good about staying caught up with my grading.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

I'm not sure. I post mine as soon as they are graded, so I don't really pay attention to the rules.

I will suggest that instead of speaking with her about keeping in touch, you email her regularly. "How did Johnny do on his test yesterday?" is a lot easier to respond to than a generic "Keep me informed."

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2013

We don´t have any real rules, but we know we post about 6 to 7 grades (all tests) every bimester. Most of us post weekly or more requently (every grade we give is weighed the same, so they are all test grades).

15. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Nov 24, 2013

We are supposed to update weekly. We also send home weekly signed papers for parents to see their graded work. I send home class work as we complete and check as needed.

I would suggest going to an administrator since you have already spoken with the teacher and no change has happened...especially since you say he is struggling. I find it odd you haven't seen any work samples.

16. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 24, 2013

We are supposed to post grades online every 10 days, but I post as soon as I grade, which is every day or at least every other day.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 24, 2013

I try to grade everything within 24 hours of receiving it, and parents have a portal to look in their child's gradebooks. I have everything in the gradebook denoted by what week we are completing, so it should be clear whether the student is keeping pace with assignments, completing them with accuracy, and what my comments are. Heck, the parents should be able to read their child's assignments and see whether or not they agree with me.

Because of all these options for the parents, they should be as informed about their child's grade as I am.

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 24, 2013

We're supposed to enter 2 grades per subject, per week. This is a new thing, so naturally, nobody's doing it. :lol:

I keep all my grades in a paper gradebook and put them in 2 or 3 times a quarter. The new policy is supposed to ensure parents can access the online grade portal, but none of our parents have Internet anyway. We've had like 11 families sign up and our school services 1,400 children.

I keep all major work in a portfolio to show progress, and I will call multiple times a week if there is some kind of issue. Since I'm SPED, I only service 12 students and I keep in touch with them pretty regularly anyway. Nobody's complained. If they want the work, I can just photocopy it.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 24, 2013

We have to have a minimum of one grade per week, posted by noon on Wednesday. I enter grades on Sunday afternoons. I grade things other times, but I put grade online on Sundays.

20. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Nov 24, 2013

I don't want to hijack the thread...but are y'all not required to send home the actual papers? We have to send home weekly signed papers(student work that's graded) in addition to putting them in the online gradebook. Our signed papers usually have a weekly conduct report attached that parents have to sign and return with the graded papers.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

We don't post grades online.

But if your son's school SAYS they do it, then his teacher has an obligation to do so in a timely manner.

In 3rd grade, don't they still have a weekly folder that goes home with test grades? My 5th grader still gets one.

And no grades in 3 weeks??? Unacceptable. My high school students have either a test or a quiz (or two) each week, and get the papers back the next day.

If you're not getting satisfaction from his teacher, it may be time to climb the chain of command a bit.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

I teach high school. This sort of thing is not required. It would be really overwhelming, paperwork-wise, too. I'd go through a ream of paper every two weeks.

23. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 24, 2013

We just switched to power school and for some odd reason parents do not have the capability to view grades online until next year. We send progress reports home every 3 weeks, so parents get their children's grades every 3 weeks.

I, however, grade every night (sometimes every other night if I'm being slack) and immediately record grades into the grade book, so if parents request grades before progress reports I can always give them an up to the minute grade.

I have to grade and keep up daily or else I will not know who needs to be held in at recess for turning in incomplete or failing to turn in altogether. Plus, I like to know who needs additional help.

24. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 24, 2013

I send them home, have the parents sign them, and then ask them to send them back. The only way I do not send them home is when certain parents never send them back. I need the work samples to show progress on IEP Goals. But, I'd never just NOT send work home. In my opinion, it's ridiculous.

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 24, 2013

It's not ridiculous when everything ends up in the trash. Then, it's conference time and I have no work to show parents because it's either in the trash or in Johnny's black hole of a backpack. My kids have enough issues remembering to take home and complete basic homework, get their agendas signed, etc. It really makes more sense in my context to keep a portfolio. Every week I add to it and I call/text/email Mom or Dad with general progress updates.