How Often Have You Cried at Work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, May 26, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2011

How many times have you cried at work & what was/were the circumstance(s)?

I've been a sub for a LONG time & nev cried while doing that, but the 1 yr I was an RSP teacher, I cried once at the start of the yr when I was feeling overwhelmed as a brand new 1st yr special ed teacher & my P was trying to foist this afterschool program on me too. The school pscyh & my mentor RSP teacher actually took me to lunch so I could get some fresh air. (I still paid for my food.)

The 2nd time was in Feb of the yr I was th RSP teacher & was told by my P that I wasn't rehired. I didn't actually cry in front of her, but when the union president came to talk to me right after, I briefly cried lightly. Nev cried again due to this situation.

Both times were kind of embarrassing because I didn't want for it to happen, but I couldn't help it.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 26, 2011

TOOO many to count :) I cried today as a matter of fact over a gift that my AP students gave me . . .

I have cried
    *when one of my students told me about her cancer
    *when I had to explain to my students why I was going to miss 6 weeks of school while my daughter had brain surgery and recovered
    *when all my AP Euro students passed their AP exams two years ago
    *when reading the book "Ruby Bridges"
    *when two seniors died last year
    *when our science teacher's cancer returned

and there is soooo many more. I am a crier ~ it is what I do. I cry when I am happy, proud, sad and when my students do great things.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

I have cried at my current job about 3 times. 1)When we were praying for my coordinator's father, who is 80-something and not in the best of health 2) When, in a school-wide meeting, the director announced that my student's mom had passed away that morning, and 3)when, at a school meeting, I prayed for my student whose mom passed away.

3 times in 2 years isn't too bad. I am pretty sensitive, I am extremely empathetic and can just feel others' pain, and nowadays it seems I can cry over anything (like Oprah's farewell last night after 25 years...why would I cry about that? I guess I just felt how profound that was in her life..I am not sure...)...

5. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

May 26, 2011

I've only been there a year, but I haven't cried. I think I've only cried once this year at all. I just really don't cry very often. When I get overwhelmed I tend to get angry instead of cry. I think I would prefer to cry. :lol:

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 26, 2011

Just once. I had a very, very, low student at the beginning of the year. He was in 2nd grade and we were literally working on about 10 letters and letter sounds. By November we'd progressed to knowing all the letters/sounds and even sounding out some CVC words. One Monday he didn't come to school, and I found out that he and his family had been deported over the weekend back to Mexico. I was really upset, especially considering all the progress we'd made, and knowing that he won't even get any sort of special education support in Mexico.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

Like INteacher, I am a cryer. I get choked up often when reading books to the kids. I teared up while we were watching 'Beezus and Ramona' at a reward party the other day.

I did actually cry a few times my first year when my mom was battling cancer, but mostly at faculty devotions in the mornings. Of course, when we lost a K student last year, we all cried our fair share.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 26, 2011

I've gotten "teary" a few times reading various pieces of literature, but I've only had four "sobbing" kinds of crying. Twice it was due to the death of a students. One was due to a car accident. And one was due to suicide. I had to tell the kids about the suicide, and I thought I'd be OK until I started talking. I cried the whole time I talked.

The other two times I've cried it was because I've been ticked off . . . at the same person, interestingly enough. When I'm really, really mad I cry.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

I just got teary eyed reading that you guys lost a K student...:(

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

Pubic schools here have about 40+ kids in each class. Private schools offer a great education, many with special education, but I will bet that family will likely not be able to put their son in a private school since they were seeking better opportunities in the US (some schools do offer scholarships, though). That is very sad, and, like you say, he will likely not get extra help, but will probably get lost in the over-crowded public classrooms.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

Too many to count.

- Many years ago, when we learned in homeroom that a coworker had lost her battle to brain cancer.

- A few yars after that, as the kids were told of the loss of Timmy, a Junior who threw his body over that of his girlfriend, as a tree approached a skidding car on a wet road. She survived.

-At the wake, funeral, and memorial service for Deidre, who died shortly after graduating, as TWA flight 800 exploded over the South Shore of Long Island.

- A whole bunch of times in front of the Assistant Principal, as I relayed each new step in my treatment. I'll always think kindly of Kenny for his reaction each time it happened.

- Likewise each time I spoke to the principal the preceeding summer and had to fill him in with what was going on. And again when I bailed at the last minute from the Christmas party, after receiving word that I would be starting radiation on Christmas Eve. He's another who will always have a special place in my heart.

- Last year, telling my friend about the treatment my daughter had received from her 1st grade teacher.

- This year, at each of the funeral and burials of yet another friend. (That's 5 times as of today, and we have another teacher in hospice.) In homeroom as the kids were told of the passing of our AD in a car accident.

Some people deal with stress by punching walls or having too much to drink. I cry. I'm not at all embarassed by it. Each and every time has been an occasion of profound sadness.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 26, 2011

I think 3 times, once was yesterday as a matter of a fact!

Once I cried because of a very violent, hateful student who had bipolar disorder. After school one day I went to the teacher's bathroom, flipped the lights off, slid down the wall and collapsed into a ball on the floor and just sobbed.

Yesterday I cried over an angry parent email. Usually that wouldn't set me off, but with everything else I have going on for the end of the year it was too much to handle.

Another time I cried on the way home near Christmas break my first year. I was tired, homesick, overwhelmed, etc and I just lost it.

I am thinking I will cry tomorrow in fact :( Our state test scores come back tomorrow (the retest) and one of my students who struggled a LOT all year only needed 4 points to pass, but he's worn out from all the remediation and he randomly bubbled his test today. Sigh...His mom wants him to pass so badly, but that d*ang test score will probably have him retained.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 26, 2011

I'm a crier. Or rather- I tear up easily. Outright crying hasn't happend often in my room. When a student passed away from cancer, I cried. During 9-11 I cried. I've teared up over everything from reading a note from a student to reading a book. Shoot, I even teared up during An Extremely Goofy Movie. We talk about expressing emotion and I tell them up front, I'm a hugger, I talk with my hands all the time, and I'm a crier. Kids are very perceptive, too. I had a rough group this year. About a week before the last day of school I went back that Monday after finding out on Sunday evening that a friend of mine had passed away. I was not in a good place. I talked to the kids ahead of time and told them that it had not been a good weekend and apologized ahead of time for not being "on my game" with them. They were wonderful. They policed themselves (I heard all day, "Ms. F is upset, don't do that!") I wasn't crying about my friend until that. (I'm one of those people who can keep it together until you hug me, then I'm gone. When I'm really upset I tell people to call me names or jump on me. I can hold it together a whole lot better!)

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

I'm a crier too. My first year, I was in my department chair's room almost every day in tears! I always cry the last day with my seniors when I read them Oh, the Places You'll Go, but that's kind of a good cry.

15. bobby

bobby Rookie

May 26, 2011

I am definitely not emotional--especially at school. About a month ago one very angry 8th grade girl was yelling at me because I wanted her to actually do her assignment. Not getting a rise out of me, she finally yelled out, "When you have kids, they're going to hate you!!"
    Now, I wouldn't normally cry about this, but I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years and was having a very disheartening week. I just couldn't help myself!! She later learned about my situation and wrote a sweet apology note that also made me cry!

16. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

May 26, 2011

I'm not really a crier, especially not when I'm in public I tend to try to hold it in until I'm in my car or at home. But I have broken down a couple of times.
    -In October when the head teacher in my room told me she was leaving and I would be head teacher.

-A week later when we found out her husband had suffered from a brain aneurysm and passed away.

-Yesterday after a horrible day at work which was capped with the owner of my daycare center yelling at us for talking.

-Today because I got called to interview for an elementary position.

17. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 26, 2011

In 17years I have cried many times. Recently I cried when I found out a student
    was molesting two younger siblings. I cried one year when a student moved. She was such a joy to work with and had really worked her way into my heart. I have cried when the stress levels build up which is usually the end of the year.
    I have cried over nasty notes from parents.
    I cried when I was pregnant because several of my very poor students put there money together to buy baby formula for my baby. They told me they wanted to make sure my baby had food. I didn't have the heart to tell them I would be breastfeeding!!
    There is a story in our anthology that makes me cry because I have a deep connection to the main character and his struggles. I do tell my students my story and why this story makes me cry.
    I have also cried from laughing. I work with a great staff and sometimes we just laugh and joke until we are in tears!

18. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 26, 2011

Quite a few times - but the most memorable

1) My first teaching job, in a Catholic school, I walked into my first junior class of the day and had a metal stapler thrown at my head and was told to get the h*** out. I went to the ladies room to cry as soon as the bell rang.

2) Every year when my senior theatre students graduate and I have to say goodbye to them at their banquet.

3) When I thought that my star actor was going to be disqualified from our competition play the afternoon of opening.

4) When a parent came to school and bullied me for things I didn't do to her child.

5) On 9/11 when my husband's cell phone went dead after he called to tell me a plane had hit the towers, and not too long after that, I found out that one of my ESL students lost both her mother and father in the towers.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

Sometimes I'll tear up at the end of a book...Edward Tulane was a recent example. Definitely a few tears on the last day..not much outside that...I love where I am and what I do.

20. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 26, 2011

I cry every time I have to say goodbye to my graduating eight graders.

Last year I left a school and my 7th graders made me cry. We had a wonderful class and they didn't want me to go. I still regret leaving.

21. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 26, 2011

I'm a crier - my whole family refers to me as such. I cry when I'm happy, sad, mad, stressed, frustrated, etc.

I cried on the first day of my first year when I was teaching PreK. I went into the bathroom and cried after another teacher asked me how it went. There was a storage room in the PreK room where I taught, and I went in there for a good cry a couple, okay several, times that year. That was a really long year, needless to say. I've cried other times because I have been frustrated and overwhelmed. I cried last year after my kids bombed a mock state test. I cried this year because I got really frustrated with a group of kids.

I've never cried in front of my students. My tears have been reserved for my husband, the bathroom walls, and the occasional co-worker.

Beth

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 27, 2011

I'm a crier and I can't begin to count how many times I've cried at school. My students have seen me on several occasions--when a student was killed in a car accident, when one of our teachers passed away suddenly and unexpectedly, the last day of school with a very special class, when reading a couple of favourite books, and once when I had just found out that a dear friend had suffered her third miscarriage. There are several good friends at school who have been there when I have cried out of anger, frustration and stress.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 27, 2011

I cry at everything!!

~my first year I cried several times. I had just lost my mom that summer, it was my first year, and the kiddos were not that good.

~my second year, the P was horrible. I found out I was pregnant and then lost the baby in May (didn't finish the year).

~every time I've been told I haven't gotten the job.

~when I left my aide job for a teaching job. I loved the kids and my co-workers at that school.

~when I read "Where the Red Fern Grows" to my English classes and again when we watched the movie.

24. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 27, 2011

I cried out of frustration when my Principal wasn't dealing with an assistant appropriately. This person was abusive to everyone, and everyone cowered in fear of this woman. I documented 75 pages of things she did over a three-month period, including verbal abuse, neglect, hostile work environment, etc. and nothing was done. I was at my wit's end, and was ready to quit for my own sanity. It wasn't until this point that he finally did something (transferred her to another school).

I cried yesterday when I learned of the horrific circumstances that one of my students' parents was murdered.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 27, 2011

Never in front of kids.

The only one I can really recall is my third year teaching. I had gone from having a wonderful supervisor to a horrible one. She was a young woman with a few more years experience than me and I think she felt threatened by me because I was getting my principal certs and she saw me as her up and coming competition. She picked on me all the time. What was frustrating is that I got glowing reviews from my 1st supervisor and mediocre ones from her. I think it was just their evaluation styles - but it made me feel like my teaching had suddenly gotten worse.

Anyway, one day she came into my room and told me she overheard some students talking at lunch and one asked what they did in Ms. Silver's class that day and the kid said, "oh, nothing. We never do anything in there." Well, this of course is absolutely not true. In fact when she told me this I just stared at her like, ok, and... the rest of the story is... She said, "doesn't that bother you?" In so many words I told her that what bothered me is that she would overhear something in the hall, not tell me who said it, and assume that my classroom was the partyzone. I pulled out my lesson plans and student work and showed her exactly what we did, told her depending on the student it is possible that HE didn't do anything in class, and pointed out that it was possible that because the lesson was engaging and relevant, maybe it didn't feel like "Work" and that was his teenage way of saying that. I was so ticked off that she was judging my classroom on what a couple kids said at lunch. I felt like she was attacking me and that she must not think I am a good teacher if she would believe and question me about something that trivial. I got really upset and cried alone in my classroom.

I cry on my way TO work a lot, and sometimes on my way home.

26. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 27, 2011

I am not sure I have ever cried at school, but who remembers 34 years ago? I am not a crier about the important, serious stuff, but tear up over dog food commercials(don't ask) or The Velveteen Rabbit or Rudy.

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 27, 2011

I too am a crier. I cry when I get overwhelmed, stressed, mad or sad. I'm more emotional at that time of the month.

I cried yesterday because a parent went over my head, straight to the P. Hmm, wish she would have talked to me 1st instead of 2nd!

Earlier in the year, I was laughing & crying at the same time. I'd had a substitute TA in my room & she was awful! I'm sure my P thought that I was crying. She's never been back to my room. I'm sure if she was the teacher she would be fine, but as I'm trying to settle my kiddos down, she's trying to rile them up.

I cried last year when I had a serious situation in my classroom & I had just found out that less then a week after graduating High School one of my daughter's classmates had died. I could have handled 1 or the other but not both at the same time!

Those are the last 3 times in the past year.

28. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 27, 2011

I have never cried at work. I'm just not a crier. It's not in my nature. I tend to hold it in till I burst. Not healthy but that's me.

29. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 28, 2011

I can only think of a few times. When I finished my student teaching, and the kids all attacked me with a massive group hug, and then again at the end of the year last year.

I think I may have shed a few tears at the awards ceremony when one of my behaviour intervention students won the Turnaround award. I was so proud of him.

30. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 28, 2011

I'm a crier!!

1) I cry every year on the last day of school when I hand out their report cards. This year I taught grade 6 and I will have to give a speech at the grade 6 graduation. Since I've never made it through graduation in the audience without crying, I'm confident the tears will flow as I say good bye to "my" kids!

2) Touching assemblies - when kids take a stand to bullying or all unite on a cause

3) Stress - this is the first year I have been so stressed by the behaviors in my classroom that I have cried in the principal's office many times. For most of October when someone asked how I was doing, I cried!

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

I know I'll be fighting tears at our grade 8 graduation. Two of my students will be getting the "Pride" award--they need to work very hard to be successful, and both have done that consistently all year. Add to that a positive attitude, smiles that light up the room, and a complete change in their level of confidence, and you have some great kids! I'll be presenting the awards, and will have a hard time getting through it!

32. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

May 28, 2011

I know I have cried, but I don't remember the circumstances. I usually do not cry in front of students. I reserve that for the restroom.

33. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 28, 2011

I'm not a crier at all, but there have been a handful of sad moments in my room over the last 19 years. The last time was at our graduation ceremony in which one of our students talked about how she had dropped out because her mom had been arrested and she had no where to go. She lived in a car for awhile, re-enrolled at school again when she hit 20, and graduated.

I've never had a student make me cry because of something mean they've said or done to me. I learned a long time ago not to take that personally, so I don't let it bother me.

34. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 28, 2011

Three times. All after school when no students were around.

The first time was 4 years ago when I found out my grandmother had passed away and had to go to a grade level meeting.

The second time was was last year when it got back to me that a parent I had been having trouble with all year said that I wasn't a good teacher because I didn't have kids. That hurt. A lot. I was fine for about an hour, but was thinking about it too much while I was copying math tests for our grade level. I guess a fellow teacher saw me in the upstairs work room and got my P. She came in and hugged me and we talked it out.

The last time was Thursday. I've had a really rough couple of weeks with about 14 of my boys. Thursday it just got to me and I couldn't help but cry when my neighbor teacher asked how I was doing. I had to walk out of the meeting because I didn't want anyone to see me cry. I couldn't stop crying either. After talking with my P again (she is very supportive), I went home and continued crying for another 2 hours. I don't know why I couldn't stop. It was wierd.

35. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 28, 2011

For me once I start crying it's hard to stop! I think it's because it's a stress reliever! Or I'll stop & someone will ask me if I'm okay & I'll start right back up.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

I've teared up reading some pieces of literature.

I've teared up ever so slightly when having private conversations with students about some of their difficult situations. For example, this year a student came to me at the end of day terrified of going home knowing he'd be beat yet again...when he showed me the strangle marks and bruises and scratches I was brokenhearted. I reserved the real tears for after the police had taken him to safety.

As in instructional assistant I did cry a big ugly cry because I received word during the day that my husband's mother wouldn't make it another day or two. I knew it was coming, but it of course upset me.

As far as being so angry, stressed, or otherwise upset with work or students, I haven't cried at work.

37. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

May 29, 2011

This is my first year and I've cried about 5 times at work, even more at home. One was right in the middle of a team meeting. It just came out because I was feeling so overwhelmed.

Another in particular I remember was during a data chat meeting with our AP and the rest of my team. I'm not sure what set me off but the AP was talking numbers, numbers, numbers and was using loads of acronyms I had no clue about. Suddenly,the tears just started flowing. I excused myself and about 3 min later the school counselor came to check on me. My AP never said anything to me perhaps not wanting me to be embarrassed, but I did make a joke a few days later when I had my IPDP meeting with her saying "I promise I won't cry!" She laughed.

I haven't cried in a few months. Everything's started to get easier. I'm hoping for less tears next year! If any! But I'm fairly sensitive so I'm not going to expect that...

38. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 29, 2011

I shed more than my share of tears the first 6 months I taught in Georgia. Mostly while I was driving home or when my friends were telling me to quite and come home. I didn't cry at school but I cried twice at special ed. meetings.

I had one "ugly" cry at school 2 years ago when my principal pretty well threatened me with rumors that she heard about me and threatened me with the union. She later found out that it was untrue but she said that she wasn't going to apologize for believing it b/c she thought it was the truth when she talked to me.:eek:hmy:

I cried twice last year. Once after a bad day and my principal called me into the office to try to become friends with someone who belittled me and swore at me during a meeting the year before (he wasn't the principal at the time). I told him that I would think about it...but never did...she is the one who was unprofessional and as long as I acted professionally towards her, then I wasn't going to befriend her (let her be afraid of me and the ammunition I had against her:whistle:) I also cried when we had a good-bye party for my assistant who was removed from my class and placed in another 2 years in a row.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 29, 2011

I hope I never cry when I'm a new SLP...it can be very overwhelming (not to be mistaken for SLPA).