How often does your school do "fun" things?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 26, 2009.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 26, 2009

Many teachers at my school have expressed that we don't have enough whole-school fun events. Here are some of the things we have:

-"Walk the halls" once a month, where we walk 15 minutes
    -1 Read-A-Thon
    -A few fundraisers, where we work together to raise money and awareness for a cause
    -About 4 assemblies throughout the year for various things
    -A "sweetheart auction" in February, where each classroom fills a basket to be auctioned. There are also games for kids to play.

We also have small things like scholastic book fairs, school store, and spirit days. We have 3 "celebrations" throughout the year (fall, winter, and Valentine's Day), but those take place in each individual classroom.

When I type it all out, it doesn't seem like we have a lot going on...What are some of the things your school does?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2009

We have AR Kickoff Day, AR Award Day, we do a school wide field trip to the movies, 5 parties a year (Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's, Spring and end-of-the-year), Field Day. We have 2 book fairs a year.
    5th grade has a farewell day.

We really don't have any assemblies.
    This year we have 'Thinking Game Thursdays' where we do Thinking Games for 30 minutes. The kids can swap classes if they choose. The whole school does this.

I can't think of anything else.

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 26, 2009

Schoolwide we have a pep rally and a red/white basketball game before season starts. We also have 2 book fairs, field day, and a student/faculty softball game at the end of the year.

5. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Sep 27, 2009

In the school I used to sub in, the fifth graders did a "Clap Out" on the last day of school. The entire school-students and faculty-lined the hallways and the fifth graders did a lap around the school as they left early to go to the bowling alley. Everyone in the hallway clapped and cheered.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

-monthly assemblies hosted by a class and tied to a character trait (e.g. responsibility, respect). Students are recognized for their demonstration of the trait and there are usually short performances.
    -Spirit Days once a month--crazy hair, pajama day, etc
    -usually a staff/student volleyball game and basketball game
    -on Thursday, we had our annual Terry FOx Run where the whole school runs together for an hour
    -Winter Elective Day--all students participate in skating, skiing, snowboarding, tubing, trampoline, bowling, etc.
    -3 dances for our grade 6-8 students
    -dance a thon
    -Jump Rope for Heart

I'm sure there are more...

7. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 27, 2009

Ice cream social (Friday before 1st day to announce class lists)
    Back-to-School Night (Pizza party too)
    BBQ (whole school eats lunch out on the fields. . this is so great. .. our custodian grills for the whole school! We do this 2 time a year at least)
    Fall Carnival (booths, teacher and kids in costumes. . huge fundraiser and we get to keep all the $$ for our classrooms)
    Make and Take. Kids register and then can come make holiday gifts for their families.
    Holiday Sing a Long
    100th Day Celebration (k-2)
    Dr. Seuss's Birthday (All day activities, movies, our Principal dresses as the Cat in the Hat and she comes to read books to each room)
    School Walk-a-Thon (all kid raise $$ and each walks/wheels/runs a course around our school campus....also a big fundraiser and a blast!!)
    Four Character Education Assemblies ( and a final "prize" if our school reaches their character edu. goals...game day/food/etc.)
    Field Day
    Our Music Teacher also usually organizes a couple dance troupes/bands/musicians to visit and perform for the whole school.
    5th Grade Musical (whole school goes to support)
    All Subject Fair (Science focus for older kids, but all kids can present their work and teachers set up "booths" to showcase learning

WOW! I love my school!
    Good luck!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

Thought of more:
    - Community Friendship Dance in February
    - Spring Fun Fair
    - Meet the Teacher BBQ

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2009

The PTA has a spring carnival and the librarian has a book fair. That's about it.