How often does your principal pop into your room?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Charger, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Charger

Charger Companion

Sep 16, 2008

I was wondering, how often does your principal pop into your room?

Mine pops into the other rooms in my hall a lot, but I rarely see her in mine unless she wants something. Would you consider that a bad thing or a good thing? :confused:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 16, 2008

If she isn't coming by, it usually means that she isn't worried about anything in your room. The principal usually goes by the rooms with problems more often.

If you are unsure, stop her sometime and say "Hey, by the way, are you satisfied with how things are going in my classroom?" That's the easiest way to know what it means. Asking a direct question will usually get you a direct answer.

:)

4. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 16, 2008

mine..never unless its part of my formal eval since I'm only in my 2nd year. I don't want to scare you but mine never came in at my one building and I thought things were ok considering the building I was in and how rough the kids were in general. Apparently I was the last to know how bad she thought I was doing until my other principal who I was doing my eval with told me. After that I was really stressed and worried everytime I was at that building.

She seems a lot better this year about being approachable (last year you couldn't even find her b/c she was always all over the place). She doesnt' come in as much b/c I know she has a lot of behavior stuff to deal with and my other one doesn't really like art! He is reading reading reading reading..math math math. But is hard to be considered a part of a buildings staff when you're not in that building everyday. I'm 2 1/2 at one and 2 at the other and I go to my planning at a 3rd building.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2008

Daily. Principals in our district are expected to be in every classroom every day. She's usually in there for just a few seconds, though. Some teachers in other grades say that she stays for while.

I don't think I'd try to read too much into it either way.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2008

Mine rotated through halls throughout the week. One week she'd be in our hall, the next in the 3rd/4th hall. She was always in our rooms. It was nerve-racking at first since I was new to the district and apparently she had never done this in previous years.

7. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 16, 2008

Wow, I can't imagine them having time to go into every room every day. Mine came in today for the first time and this was our 17th day of school. She comes in on average about once a month.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 16, 2008

Mine just likes to walk the halls in the afternoon before announcements to make sure the kids are still learning and not goofing off

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 16, 2008

Depends on the week. Some weeks we see them every day, other weeks we don't see them. In my personal preference I would rather not see them. Occasionally they stay a few minutes and then other times they just come in, walk around the room and back out the door. Like I said it just depends, other teachers say that they have been in much more often. I think they sometimes forget that I am on my gradelevel since my room is removed from the rest by another grade.

10. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 16, 2008

My P told us she would be stopping in at least once a week just to make her presence known, but it's now the third week of school and she's popped her head in once to give me some papers to hand out to my homeroom.

I think I would go crazy if she came in every day.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2008

In the first three weeks of school, my principal stopped in to observe once, a VP observed twice, and another VP observed once.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 16, 2008

I see my VP in my room daily--most of his day is going into the classrooms and working with students. He even pulls intervention groups--it's amazing!! The P comes by a few times a week, but she goes to everybody as well. They are really present in the classrooms--I love it!!

13. nancy sv

nancy sv Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

I've had some principals that came to my room a lot and others that I didn't see all year. I think it really depends on the person.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2008

NEVER!

We are lucky to see or hear from her...including emails.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2008

Last year, she came in every day, and sat down...took notes too...the first three weeks.

Then, she popped in twice a week.

This one pops in more often with the morning class. I have only seen her once with my afternoon class.

Seems that her afternoons are too busy for her to check in on everyone...

I would be more concerned if P came in with pad and sat down, for the entire day...or worse, brought in another person...to 'observe'. :unsure:

that could mean all kinds of things...

None that I can think of that are positive.

16. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 16, 2008

Our P pops in whenever. I probably see him a little bit more than others because of our school situation. I think it averages once or twice a day.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2008

EVERY DAY. EVERY FEW HOURS. He's hyper. Can't sit in his office. He comes often to get something or ask my opinion or see what's going on. I think he misses the classroom. There are times when I guess we're friends. And other times he just drives me crazy.

He'll be by tomorrow to see if we have Constitution Day plans written on our lesson plans. I may create a fake page and write something crazy on it just to see if he's reading them.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2008

LOL :D If my P keeps popping in too many times, I will ask her to help me with snack time! After 4 or 5 kids say, "Help me, help me open this", and then they will pour milk on her shoes!!! That will send anybody running! :spitwater:

19. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

P stops by every morning to say good morning (and probably to make sure everyone is in their rooms on time). We have a P and two APs, and between them I might have an admin do a walk through (10 minutes) once a month or every two months, plus they each do 1 formal eval.

20. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 16, 2008

I always say that anybody in my room is automatically drafted to help :)

But it was worse when they were constantly giving tours of my classroom/building... try leading circle time when you've got the P or AP giving a tour to prospective parents 2 feet away from the circle, talking about all the things you do during circle time 9especially when you weren't actually planning on doing all of those that day because the kids weren't sitting...)

21. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2008

Today was our 13th day of school. Principal has been in my room three times.... once to bring a student in who needed to apologize for bringing a nail to school and refusing to give it to me, once to tell me that our extra room that we are using for science and art is going to be used by the pta( even though they have their own room) and once to ask if I would stop by after school to ask if I'd be on a committee.

22. forkids

forkids Cohort

Sep 17, 2008

At the school I just left, you never even saw the principal in the hallways, much less in the classrooms. She has left the district this year - by request - which is good. At my current school, our principal is hands-on. She is very visible and available to help in any way she can.

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2008

Well, up until this year, only if they needed something.

This year I believe that the district has told them to be in the rooms daily. I do see my p about every day or so, usually during my Reading block for a couple of seconds. Yesterday it was during silent reading time, and we were all reading. I am sure we looked crazy. I was sitting up front reading a book I am thinking about reading aloud, and all my kids were all over the place reading.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2008

The P and AP pop in every day at least once. It doesn't bother me in the least because we are so used to it. Most of the time I don't even notice them. The upside is that we don't have to have formal observations because the P says she can see what is going on since she is there every day.

25. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 17, 2008

I like it when the P and AP stop by. They never stay too long, and the kids really like the attention. We just keep on teaching and never miss a beat.

When I first started teaching, it was nerve-wracking to see the P show up, but maybe that was because that particular principal always came in with a clipboard and a stack of "Got ya!" forms -- you know those 2 part carbonless forms that have a place for a "quick eval" every single time she came in. She felt she wasn't doing her job if she didn't find at least one thing, everytime she came it, that you needed to improve on. That was frustrating!

My current P and AP are nothing but supportive when they come in, so you don't feel the least bit self conscious around them.

26. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 17, 2008

From an administrator's perspective: I am in every classroom in my center for at least half an hour each day, sometimes broken up into various 5- to 10-minute chunks, and sometimes as long as a couple hours (or all day if needed). I work right along with the teachers (you can't ignore a toddler pulling at your pants), and I think this really helps build rapport. I also cover breaks, meetings, etc., so I think the teachers are pretty glad to see me in their classrooms. I do a morning walk-through at about 9 a.m., which gives teachers a chance to ask me any quick questions, and gives me a chance to say hello to everyone each day.

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2008

They have to come in at least once a week. Sometimes they come in more. I just completely ignore them. Sometimes I don't even notice that they left :lol:

28. FirstYear

FirstYear Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

I have a specific child that he comes to check up on quite often, so nearly daily. He also makes rounds at least once a week to everyone's classroom. For those visits he always sends us an email or writes a note to tell us something good he saw or give some constructive feedback. I really appreciate that he comes around so much. I appreciate his feedback and I love that he builds a relationship with the students.

29. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 18, 2008

Mine pops in and out on a regular basis. It's a close knit school. I think nothing of it. Sometimes he comes just to listen to the kids sing... He could do that down the hall... LOL THey are sooooooo loud when they sing Dr. Jean songs... HAHA!!

I had one P that stopped by one day when it was movie day... Shrek. He stood there at the door several minutes and watched. He loved that movie. :)