How often does your Administration change?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MelissainGA, Mar 20, 2009.

?

How often does your administration change?

1. Our administration changes every year or 2

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Our administration changes every 4 to 5 years

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Our administration changes every 5 to 10 years

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. I don't remember the last time our school changed administration.

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

I am curious how often other schools administration changes.
    I have been at my school for 6 years. In that time I have had:

Principal #1 (who hired me from a phone interview) and AP #1
    At the end of year 2 P #1 left, P #2 came in.
    At the end of year #3 AP #1 left, AP #2 came in.
    At the end of year 4 P#2, AP#2 and AP #3 (came in at the beginning of year #4) all left.
    Year #5, All new administrative team (P#3, AP #4, and AP#5).
    This year (#6) we were just informed that P#3 was being moved to another school and P#4 will be taking over for next year.

Does anyone have more stability than this?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

None of the above.

My school opened in 1987.

We're on our 2nd principal; the current one has been in charge for probably close to 15 years.

We're on our 5th (I think) AP; this is his 2nd year.

I might add that it's a Catholic high school. Both principals have been members of the Religious order that runs the school. Our current AP is the 2nd lay person to hold the job.

4. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Mar 20, 2009

The principal that hired me 12 years ago is still running the show! She was there for a couple of years before I started teaching there. When she retires, I will consider going elsewhere. She is a great principal. We don't have an assistant principal.

(This is a Catholic PK-8 school.)

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Mar 20, 2009

Ours usually change every 5 years or so. Our last was there 4 years and today we learned our principal is leaving next year. I have been at my school 12 years and have had 5 different ones.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

The principals at my school are pretty stable, but the AP's come and go. They move into new principal positions as they become available...new schools, back to classrooms, switched to a different AP position at a different school.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

In my school board, principals are moved between schools every 4 or 5 years on average. Vice-principals are susally at a school for no more than 2 years before they move to another school; many have 2 placements as vice-principal before they are appointed as principal.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Mar 20, 2009

None of the above apply to me either. In 20 years, the only change has been our Headmaster was let go 3 years ago (after 20 years) and the owner became our Director. It was a very positive change.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2009

We don't change often. We have had three different principals in my 16 years with that school. When Principal 1 retired, the assistant principal was hired for the head job. When that principal retired, we again hired the assistant for the head job.

10. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Mar 20, 2009

I can't vote. I've changed schools every year lol, so my admins have changed every year!

11. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 21, 2009

IMA,

I am originally from KY, so I know what you mean. My elementary principal was still in place when I did student teaching. When he was replaced that person stayed for the next 15 years until they went back to her home state (she was from Hawaii and had been my high school Spanish teacher). I am just so tired of having to adjust to a new administration every year or two.

12. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Mar 21, 2009

I have been in my job 3 years. We have had 2 elem principals, 2 high school principals, and 2 superintendents! I wouldn't be surprised if our current elem principal leaves because she drives 2 hours one way to get to school every day!! That makes me sad because she is absolutely AMAZING and she is a wonderful addition to our school!!!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2009

When I student taught (where I teach now), the P had been there for 10+ years and then decided to retire. The P who hired me was there for 3 years before being fired...the current P has been there for 2 years.

14. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Mar 21, 2009

My administration has never stayed completely the same every year. At the very least we change assistant principals. However, I always remind myself that it is highly unlikely to be as bad as my first year teaching..4 different principals and 3 different assistant principals. All in a single school year. Yuck.