How often does writing workshop happen in your class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by live, Sep 10, 2013.

1. live

live Companion

Sep 10, 2013

Anyone else do writing workshop?

I'm setting it up in my class, but this is my first year in elementary (middle school previously). I know teachers who have writing workshop once a week, while others had it almost daily.

How often do you have writing workshop in your class? How much time do you dedicate to it? Any particular reason?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2013

Just about daily. About 30-35 minutes. We are a workshop school...both reading and writing.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 10, 2013

At least 4 days a week, usually 5, 30-45 minutes depending on stamina and time of year. Students need time to write every day and develop stories over time. My class, and most first and second grade classes, wouldn't remember what they were writing about and apply minilesson concepts if we only wrote 1-2 days a week.

5. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Sep 11, 2013

I'm starting writing workshop with seventh graders next week...I plan to start by spending about 45 minutes a day on it, and then in the future 30-35 minutes a day. We have a 90 minute block, so it will be easy to fit in that much time for it.

I'm a little worried...I don't think I've structured the lessons enough.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2013

Every single day. 45 minutes.

7. live

live Companion

Sep 11, 2013

Thanks for the responses! I'm thinking I'll keep mine at about 45 mins daily, as it seems that is about the norm and it best fits my schedule/kids' attention spans. Twice a week our writing workshop will be sandwiched between specials (and realistically, some of that time will be lost to transitioning). My group looooves to take their time on everything from writing their name to doing a math problem to blowing their nose (they've been receiving a heavy dose of timer-therapy), so I'm hoping that we can stay on track.

We've only started to generate writing topic ideas and brushed up on the writing process. I know what writing workshop should look like after it's about a month in, but I don't actually know how to get it started and to that point (seems to be my problem for about most things this year). Trying to research but I can't find anything specific. I might start with a mini lesson about using a graphic organizer to plan a story.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2013

Our writing period is always sandwiched between preps this year too because everyone on the grade level must teach reading at the same time, and because of the way my schedule is I must teach writing in the afternoon. We're definitely going to have to work on transitioning quickly because we literally need all 45 mins to write!

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 12, 2013

I aim for 4 days a week, but usually it is 3 days a week.