How often does the principals in your district switch schools?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustT, Jun 27, 2008.

1. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

Another teacher had mentioned to me that the district I am in usually changes their principals and vice principals at least every 3 years.

Does that occur in your district also?

3. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

Our district doesn't move all principals and assistants. They just move ones who have had problems or request to be moved. This happens every two or three years.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2008

My district is similar, in that principals and assistants usually stay in their school unless they have problems in that role.

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 27, 2008

Ours don't usually change unless they request to or if a new school opens.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2008

Peter Principle / Principal in action? ;)

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2008

Ours usually stay put, unless they open new schools. My principal has been at our school for over 20 years.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2008

We just hired a new principal last year but our previous principal had been at our school for 25 years.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2008

Our administrators move around constantly.

10. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jun 27, 2008

In my small suburban district, most principals don't stick around too long. The pay is lousy and they eventually move on to higher paying districts, especially the younger ones with families.

11. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jun 27, 2008

Administrators in our district remain fairly constant, unless they apply for another position. Our principal just retired actually (just got home from his retirement party), and one of our assistant principals moved to be the principal at an elementary school. From what I understand, half of our administration is going to be new next year!

12. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

ours are always changing all the admin are looking to move up and out before they even get at my school

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2008

Our vice-principals are usually at a school for between 2 or 3 years before they either are transferred to another school as a VP or receive a principal appointment. Principals are usually at a school no longer than 5 years before they are transferred to another.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2008

Our principals do not move, unless they take a position at the Board Office.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 28, 2008

Our princpals and assistant princpals move around around constantly, too. Most stay around 3 to 5 years, then they reshuffle the deck.

Is this just a Texas thing? LOL

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 28, 2008

Does anyone know the rationale behind constantly moving people? Wouldn't they want everyone to bond and build relationships in their school community? When I worked at Whole Foods, management would be forced to relocate quite often, but that's understandable. It's "just business," and with hundreds of thousands of $$$ in their care each day, you hardly want someone too comfortable!

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2008

Well....here, there was a huge sex scandal at a local high school, maybe 15 year ago. A teacher was having sex with a student. I don't remember the particulars, but it was definitely a controlling sort of relationship, and it wasn't the first time it had happened. Turns out the adminstration knew about it, but conveniently looked the other way because they had a close social relationship that grew from them being in the same school for so long.

After that, the unwritten rule in our district is that principals get moved every 6 years. This is supposed to discourage inappropriate relationships from forming, as well as to encourage new eyes to look at a building's issues and behaviors before they become entrenched. It isn't always enforced...my current principal is starting her 8th year with us, for example. And it seems that the old superintendents were more apt to enforce the rule than the new one.
    Kim

18. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Jun 28, 2008

We're changing principals this coming year, so this is a timely topic for me! In my district, they like to keep a principal at one school for no more than 6 years, but most of the principals seem to have a tenure of about 3-4 years.

db

19. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jun 28, 2008

Our principals are not moved unless there is an issue, but most of them do not stay for very long 5 years seems to be the max. Many of them burn out in the position and actually go back to the classroom! I have one more year with my principal. He already told us that he will be going back to teaching after this coming year. He just cannot deal with all the stress anymore.

20. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2008

The elementary principals seem to stay for a long time. The intermediate, middle, and high schools have all gone through at least one change in five years. The assistant principals change more often than that, but obviously many on them want to be principals eventually.

21. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 28, 2008

Yes, about every 3 years here as well, DFW area- large urban district. It's infuriating, we all have to put our names on the transfer list every year "just in case" we get a new horrible principal :down:

22. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 28, 2008

My p has been at the school for almost seven years. They don't usually move around unless a better position in the county opens up. It must be difficult adjusting to a new p every few years.

23. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 28, 2008

Ours don't move between schools - they just leave! In the 10 years I have been at my school, we have had 6 principals!

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 28, 2008

We rarely have administrators who move. Of course, we also have a district with three elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. Generally ours stay put until they retire or choose to take a position elsewhere. Few of them leave to go elsewhere. We actually have very little turnover in general, and most of that is due to retirement.

25. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jun 28, 2008

My first principal was at our school for 24 years. That does not happen anymore. They started shifting elem. principals every 2-3 years. Now it's about every 5. It sure is difficult always having to adjust to new administration. Not to mention the community having to get to know and bond with a new principal. I think it's ridiculous how often they switch around. Unless, of course you have a bad one you want to get out.

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

Our school district is similar to Ima Teacher's...we have 3 elem, 1 ms, and 1 hs. In my 4 years at my current school, there have been 2 principals, but one was "let go" by central admin. Generally, unless there is a problem (such as my old P) or a retirement, our admin stays the same.

27. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

When I was in FL, the first three years we had 4 different principals. Here, a lot of the older (ie higher paid) principals were offered incentives to retire early--had 4 take them up on it.

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

My district is a picture of extremes. We have the very upper class and the extreme poverty, sometimes right next to each other. It's telling that the admins in the higher income schools tend to stick around and the admins at the low SES schools get shuffled frequently.

29. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jun 29, 2008

Our principal is being moved as part of the yearly major shuffle. At best, it's a promotion (title and salary bump b/c he's going to a bigger school), but at worst, the district office is being accused by some people of actively working to break up "strongholds" in order to maintain control.

What's the attitude toward principal shifts in your district? Does it look like they're working to build effective teams or trying to break down powerful groups?