How often do you work?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by RedFenix, Apr 25, 2007.

1. RedFenix

RedFenix New Member

Apr 25, 2007

Hello everyone!

I'm in my first week of subbing, and while I didn't expect to work every day, I'm a little uneasy with my phone being quiet lately. My district (LAUSD) is HUGE...there are nearly 70 schools in my calling area alone. It really sounded like there would be lots of opportunity.

Now, I had an assignment on Friday, and one on Monday, too. But no calls in 48 hours. I understand Fridays and Mondays make for nice three-day weekends for many teachers...but I can't pay my bills off a two-day work week!

What was it like for you? How often did you work in the beginning, and when did things start to pick up? DID they pick up?

3. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Apr 25, 2007

I started subbing in January. I'm only available MWF, but I got called nearly every one of those days during Jan and Feb. It was mostly just from one school though, somehow I became kind of a building sub. After spring break, it really slowed down. I went like two weeks without a call at all...luckily I have a second job. :D

If you're just starting out, I'd go to the schools that you prefer to sub at and just let them know who you are, and your availability.

Good luck subbing! It's exciting. What grades are you teaching on Friday and Monday?

4. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Apr 25, 2007

I sub almost everyday

I sub in three different districts within a fifteen mile radius of my house. So my phone is usually busy everyday of the week. Sometimes all three districts call on the same day. Things have been a little slow the past few weeks because there is state testing going on in 3-5th grades in all three districts.

Marci D.

5. Moonlight53

Moonlight53 New Member

Apr 26, 2007

Check the system online

I sub in two different districts (one at home and one while at school) and have found that checking the online system works wonders. Hopefully your district has an online version of your sub finder on top of the phone system. I check the system whenever I check my email and can pick up jobs that way. In fact, I almost always get a job there prior to the day of subbing (which is nice b/c you don't wait around in the morning hoping).

I also bring a paper (1/4 of an 8x11) that has my name, phone number, days available and a BRIEF summary of my years experience and what I've taught and give it to the front office at each new school I want to sub for and leave one on each teacher's desk I sub for so they can get in contact with me easily when they need last minute subs.

Hope this helps!

6. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Apr 26, 2007

I work every day, but havent gotten called much this week because testing has started.

The other district, well, theyve never called me, but it's because theres an issue with the system and I havent needed to call as my primarily district keeps me so busy. (and its closer)

7. longtimesub

longtimesub Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

Is it possible for you to call the substitute finder system and take jobs? Does LAUSD allow you to do that? Or you must wait to be called?

I work for districts which allow subs to call the system and take jobs.

On most days, I would wake up at 4:30 AM and call the computer system. Frequently, I would get jobs at that time...

8. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Apr 30, 2007

I think it depends on the district...I'd call LAUSD and find out/

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 3, 2007

When I subbed for a large, urban school district, I got a call every day from an automated system that usually had at least 5 jobs I could choose from--but I did post my availability for every grade level. I did that from October-December of one year.

When I subbed for a medium-sized, rural school district where I did my student teaching, the secretaries were in charge of finding subs, and I only got calls from the one school where I did my ST--but I got LOTS of them, because my CT recommended me to everyone. I did that for about two months in between finishing ST and starting my next full-time job.

When I subbed for a preschool one summer, my days would be planned ahead, as I was covering for other teachers' planned vacations.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 4, 2007

I subbed one year, and I worked 180 of 185 days. I could have worked one more day . . . the first day of school . . . but I had schedule a dental appointment that day because I didn't think they'd need subs that soon.

11. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

May 5, 2007

I work on Tuesday, Thursdays and Fridays and if I don't have a job by the night before I end up calling the SubFinder operator that morning. All you have to say is "Can you put me somewhere" and they will give you a job before it goes into the system.

Also, Im pretty detailed in my sub notes and at the bottom I always say "Thanks for the opportunity to sub for you today, I would love to come back. If you have any questions about the day, or would like for me to sub again for you here is my number" And then I tell the teachers I have talked to when I am leaving and mention to them I had such a great day and I would love to come back and usually they will get my number as well =o)

12. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 6, 2007

Try to work in a diestrict of LAUSD that you can get frequent calls.
    East LA, South Central and Downtown probably have the most. The Valley and the West Side have the least. Also subbing for special ed. can get you called numerous times. Good luck!