How often do you work out?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ssgirl11, Apr 2, 2018.

1. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Oct 28, 2021

I've got a great walking trail (goes around a city center sort of area) which is specifically meant for walkers, joggers, bike riders etc literally across the street from my new apartment. I'm hoping to start walking regularly (not the whole thing, it's 3 miles around) now that the weather is not quite as hot.

2. GraceKrispy

GraceKrispy Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

I'm glad I saw this thread this morning. It guilted me into walking a few miles :D I don't exercise nearly enough.

3. Crazy4cats

Crazy4cats Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

I’m currently training for a marathon so I’m running five days a week.

4. SeeZee

SeeZee New Member

Oct 30, 2021

I take a pilates reformer class 6 days a week and do strength training twice a week. When I feel energetic I will go for a walk or hike.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 1, 2021

Does anyone have a Peloton bike? I would like to get one for Christmas. We have the treadmill and it's really good.

6. Jazzer

Jazzer Rookie

Nov 3, 2021

I workout 3 to 4 times a week for 100 minutes each session. I do this walk program on YouTube in which you walk in place and do other types of movements such as kicks, knee lifts, mini squats, leg curls, side steps, and walking a few steps forwards and backwards. The program also involves HITT training which starts a session at a slow warm up speed, gradually picks up the pace, then slows down at the end.

7. Mikecoffee

Mikecoffee Rookie

Dec 19, 2021

5 days per week year round, and sometimes 6. I feel physically bad if I miss a workout.

8. Ayyan

Ayyan Rookie

Jan 25, 2022

Before the pandemic, I worked out at the gym three days a week. When I stopped attending it, my back problems returned. So I tried yoga. I must say, it was totally new for me, but I really like it. Now, I'm practicing yoga (just for myself, at home) almost every day, and feel much better. I also found an interesting article about the impact of yoga to deal with stress at the Canada Drugs Direct website, and yoga is also stated to help improve mental stability and reduce the severity of anxiety that is really necessary with our profession.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  9. Crumble96

Crumble96 Rookie

Feb 23, 2022

I do my best to train 3 times a week regardless of the workload. It's hard enough,but I have enough power.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 31, 2022

I just started going back to the gym now that they mask mandate is over. I hated working out with a mask on so I paused my membership until now. I try to go after work and sometimes on the weekends depending on how much free time I have.

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Mar 31, 2022

Yeah, no mask for me, especially not when working out. This is why I built a garage gym during COVID.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 31, 2022

We have a treadmill but when we went to order a stationary bike they were out of stock of the one we wanted. They told us 3 months and then it was 6 months. So ridiculous. We still haven't gotten it so I just went back to the gym.

13. Aces

Aces Devotee

Mar 31, 2022

I’ve been slacking lately but in my defense my leg has been hurting extra

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 1, 2022

What time of day does everyone work out? I can't go to the gym before work so I go after work. Typically, I come home, change my clothes, take the dog out, and head to the gym. Then I come home and cook dinner. Sometimes I have to stop at the store for something so that takes another 10-15 minutes. When I go to the gym dinner ends up being later than I like because I cook from scratch. I'm thinking I'll have to start meal prepping a bit the night before so I can throw dinner together faster.

15. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Apr 1, 2022

I have a home gym (we have my treadmill, my spin bike, my husband's elliptical/recumbant bike combo, and a space for video workouts with a tv on the wall). I am just starting to get back to working out after having my daughter 5 months ago. I started too strenuous this week and have had to take a couple of days off after feeling as though I may have pulled something. I do my workouts after I get my kids in bed and before I get to bed myself.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 1, 2022

My husband and I used to go to the gym after dinner. It was fine if he was driving but I hate driving at night so I'd rather go in the daytime. Once we're able to order the other equipment I can cancel my membership and it will be much easier to fit in some time.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 2, 2022

I've been working with a trainer on Wednesdays and Fridays. However, I've also been curling (the sport with the ice and the rocks and the sweeping and the yelling) on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. That's ending this week as the season ends. I should go back to distance running but I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE hot weather. We'll see how it goes.

18. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 5, 2022

I was doing morning workouts, but I got to the point where I needed more energy from a pre-workout meal to do heavy lifting, so I now workout in the afternoon. It works out pretty well, because I work out at around 4:00-5:00 PM, then the wife has supper ready about 6:00 PM, so I'm ready to refuel.

19. happymangle

happymangle Rookie

Apr 11, 2022

2 crossfit training + 4 morning yoga sessions every week.
    For crossfit i prefer to visit gym and for yoga - https://yanvayoga.com website.
    With the sport and especially yoga quality of my life improved significantly.
    Some people start their days with the coffee and i start with the 10 min meditation practice.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  20. emiliaroyals

emiliaroyals Rookie

Apr 19, 2022

3 days a week. But only stretching..does it count? Also sometimes I jog and play badminton depends on my mood. I need some good sport to get read of my belly (I have 1st type https://betterme.world/articles/5-types-of-bellies/ ). I look good but would like to have smaller belly

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 19, 2022

I work with a trainer twice a week now, but my main sport (curling) is done for the season. I have done distance running for the past nine years, but I HAAAAAATE running in hot weather! Any suggestions?

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 21, 2022

Yes, definitely that's me. Yesterday I got home and quickly changed clothes and ran out the door to the gym. If I sit for more than 2 minutes I won't want to do anything. I take my dog out for a bit and that's it. Once I'm actually at the gym I seem to get my second wind.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 21, 2022

I would actually love to just go from work directly to the gym but I have to stop home to take my dog out first. Thankfully, my house is right between work and the gym so I don't have to backtrack or go all over town.

24. Kenton

Kenton New Member

Jun 4, 2022

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 5, 2022

I RAN today! First time I truly ran (not counting treadmill) since New Year's Day. 2.15 miles. It felt good!

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2022

I retired 4 yrs ago. So my activity level dropped quite a bit (PE teacher) I do about 180 minutes a week on my old stair master, weights and stretching along with it.

27. Paris23

Paris23 Rookie

Jun 22, 2022

If I don’t exercise every day, I feel like a quitter, but usually my “workout” now only consists of an hour walk. Wait -- I also do dumbbell workouts throughout the day. Tiny dumbbell workouts, but they add up to maybe 100 - 150 various curls per day. Plus “fly aways.”

28. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jun 23, 2022

Apparently not enough! I have been busting my ass painting, yard work, garage stuff, all in wicked heat. followed by either swimming in my pool or walking a mile in a creek while fishing. I wanted to go to my July doctor appt weighing under 200. I can't seem to break the barrier. I'm at 208 now and all semester I have gone from 201 to 210. I even had Omicron BA1 in Feb, quit drinking for Lent, did the treadmill for 2 weeks, STILL did not ever get under 200.
    One more fact: my wife is a really good cook and I like seconds :)

Aces likes this.
  29. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jun 24, 2022

If I may, one thing I’d suggest is to examine your eating habits. My sister has had a lot of success doing the Keto diet. It’s a high fat, moderate protein, low sugar/carb diet. It’s good for weight loss because it sets the body up and primes it to burn fat as the primary fuel source instead of carbs.

The science behind it is actually quite interesting. So there’s basically three types of molecules that your body can burn for fuel: sugars, proteins, and fats. On an average diet (And if you live in the US especially), the first fuel source is sugars. Glucose, to be exact. (Carbs and other sugars are broken down into glucose). This is a fast burning, easy to consume fuel source for the body. But, it’s not long lasting. Which is why if you eat a donut for a meal, an hour later you’re hungry again.

Proteins are the opposite. It takes longer for the body to break these down, and it takes more energy and effort for the body to process. That’s why if you eat a steak for lunch you feel full for a long time afterwards.

Fats are somewhere in the middle for processing and being used as fuel. However, fats easily out class proteins and sugars when it comes to being able to be stored. When your body doesn’t get enough carbs/sugars to satisfy its daily operating needs, it breaks down fat and produces what’s called ketones. When this happens, it’s called ketosis.

Your body is a biological machine. It needs fuel to survive, repair itself, and generally function. Generally, you get quick fuel from your carbs. This gives your body time to break down the protein that you consume. Because fat is so easy for the body to store, and your fuel needs are met, it’s going to store that fat. It does these things in this way because your body is built for long term survival.

Flipping the switch with a keto diet, it forces your body to rely on fat as a primary fuel source. It’s going to burn what few sugars you intake simply trying to break down the protein that you took in. Which leaves fats (both consumed and stored) to fuel the rest of the body. It also makes it easier for the body to use fat that’s already stored when it needs fuel throughout the day. So rather than sounding the “I’m hungry give me fuel!” alarm, it uses some of the fat you’ve already got stored.

Obviously you should consult with your doctor before starting any major diet like this with major eating habit changes. And before starting this, you sound absolutely do more research into it other than what I’ve provided here.