How often do you work out?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ssgirl11, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Apr 2, 2018

Since I've finished coaching, I've been trying to work out at least 3 or 4 times a week. It is exhausting to do after a long day at school sometimes, but it's worth it. I was just curious: how many times a week do you manage to work out?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 2, 2018

I try 3-4 times per week. Some weeks more some less. It just depends on the time I have. Even if I can only stay on the treadmill for 15 minutes because I have too many other things to do, I consider that better than sitting on the couch!!

nstructor likes this.
  4. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Apr 2, 2018

I always try to before school. Yes it means waking up early but it is worth it when it is done.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 2, 2018

In the winter, only on Saturdays. In the fall & spring I go outside, so then I try to exercise after school. In the summer, I run every other day.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 2, 2018

I aim for five days a week, but it’s closer to three on busy weeks. I usually try to do it before school, but if I’m tired and sleep too late, I will do it as soon as I get home from school.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 2, 2018

In the summer, I run 6 days a week. In the fall, I run 4 days a week. In the winter, I gain 50 lbs. In the spring, I walk/jog 3-4 days a week until I'm at a good weight to start running. Then repeat for the following year. The eating and running is quite fun. It's the spring walk/jog that's rough.

8. Minnesota

Minnesota Rookie

Apr 2, 2018

I work out at least 3 times a week solid, but usually 4-5 times a week. Twice during the week once I've put my kids to bed and both days on the weekend. Love working out and strongly recommend strength training. I bought a few personal training sessions last spring and my trainer (who was in the bodybuilding competition at almost 50) developed an awesome workout plan for me for each muscle group at a time. Strongly recommend such a great investment in yourself!

9. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2018

Not nearly enough.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 3, 2018

My brother recently said I'm "skinny fat'! I had to look up what that means. Siblings can be so brutally honest!

Tired Teacher and ssgirl11 like this.
  11. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 3, 2018

Never. I hate exercise. My favourite thing to do after work is nothing.

I’m probably skinny fat too!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 3, 2018

There are lots of people who are skinny fat! I wish they would make up their mind and go either way LOL

ssgirl11 likes this.
  13. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Apr 3, 2018

I love strength training! I’m getting more desirable result doing mostly that compared to only doing cardio! I work out with my fiancé who tries to get me to lift more than I think I can(I’m 4’11 95 lbs, no matter how much I lift some things just aren’t possible LOL) so he’s kind of like my personal trainer

I wish I could be like some of you and work out in the morning, I just can’t myself to do it!

14. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Apr 3, 2018

Consistently? Once a week. I go to a bootcamp on Saturdays with coworkers, which is hard work but I really enjoy it (plus the gym is AWESOME and their bootcamp is for charity; I don't have to be a member, I just bring a canned good!).

I'd love to work out at least 2 or 3 times a week, but the district gym is far enough out of the way to be inconvenient and I'm not in a financial position to join a gym right now. I've been looking at Planet Fitness but since my motivation to do anything has been lacking lately, I'm hesitant to join because I know I likely won't go as often as I should. It's self-defeating, but once my finances pick up I do want to join and start exercising more. My apartment has a "fitness center" but it consists of three cardio machines. I'd rather do strength training, so for now I'm just sticking with Saturday mornings.

Saturdays are working well enough though - I'm actually seeing progress in my strength and stamina from when I started going 4 months ago!

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2018

I used to do 60-90 minutes 6 days per week and I hated every minute of it, and was constantly sore. I eventually quit going workout out all together. Now I do 30 minutes four days per week and I like it so much better! On many days I actually enjoy my workout, and even if I'm not feeling very motivated, it's over in 30 minutes so no big deal. I also don't feel like I'm taking up a huge chunk of my day/getting no free time.

16. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2018

Never.

I have an affinity for hiking/walking with my wife, so that essentially is where I get my "exercise". Nothing ever planned though...all just for fun.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  17. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Apr 5, 2018

I've been lifting 3-5 days a week during almost all of my student teaching placement. If I DON'T get at least three days in a week done, I can feel that something is wrong.

18. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Apr 5, 2018

I'm currently doing strength training and HIIT three times a week. I used to really enjoy working out maybe five years ago, but now not as much. The results are too good to give up though.

19. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 5, 2018

Every stinking day. If I don't I will gain weight, even with a reasonable diet, and I will gain weight fast...like I'm talking 2-3 pounds per week. I hate it, but this is the life of my family. My entire family plays this game, unfortunately.
    But I digress.
    I guess it's misleading to say I exercise every day: I don't exercise every other weekend, just to give my body a break, but other than that, yeah every day. I do a variety of things and I'll do it until I get bored and do something else. Sometimes it's running, sometimes it's biking, sometimes it's lifting, sometimes it's swimming, during the summer it's a lot of hiking,

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2018

4-5 days a week of 30 minutes on the elliptical.

21. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 5, 2018

I’m lucky enough to be skinny, not skinny fat, and so I don’t ever exercise. I hate exercising in all forms.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    rpan likes this.
  22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2018

I honestly thought teaching Pre-K was enough exercise for anyone for the entire year!

But seriously....I do some stretches, try to walk around the block, and maybe a few exercises at home, but nothing so far this year because I was sick for awhile. I usually sign up for the alumni gym membership at my grad school for at least 1/2 the Fall or Spring semester. I would do a few laps, ride the bike, lift some weights, and then I drop out until next fall. :rolleyes: Honestly, I used the gym membership as an excuse for the free parking pass! That way, I could work out and use the campus library anytime without worrying about finding a visitors parking spot.

I used to get the summer special rate at the park district, which was nice because it included all the classes and the gym membership. I was really surprised to see how many older adults were there. They actually had a Silver Streak swim class, and these folks were at least 75-80 years old (young -;) BeenThere!) Something I can look forward to when I retire I guess! When I added more hours for my part time job, I cut back and eventually stopped.

At one point, I was taking Taekwondo classes. I drop in and out, buy uniforms, pay fees, drop out. I think this whole membership deal is a racket, and all the places know that the bank account -automatic payment plan is their money maker. The automatic plan is always cheaper, and in some cases - the only option. I truly believe if everyone was paying as you go, these health clubs and park districts would be out of business.

I have a bucket list that includes learning how to swim. My goal is to get back to the park district program and take some swimming lessons.

23. greendream

greendream Cohort

Mar 30, 2021

I do one-hour sessions 3 days a week: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday. Then on Saturday or Sunday, I will do a shorter session of 15 to 30 minutes. Mostly weight lifting, but also some pushups, planks, crunches, cardio.

24. Tina Harper

Tina Harper New Member

Apr 13, 2021

during this pandemic, i am trying to keep myself busy so that i don't get too frustrated staying at home. i really can't wait to dress up and commute to work

25. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 14, 2021

My situation is a bit different, but a gym is a gym, right? After having two massive heart attacks in one year - January is not a lucky month for me - I do a cardiac workout in rehab three times a week.

26. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 15, 2021

Usually..6 days/week of light exercise (25-30 minutes) OR more intensely when I am at the gym 4 days/week (25-45 minutes). I haven't returned to the gym yet, but will be soon. I miss it and know I would be getting a better workout there.

Worst thing I did was stop working out for a few months. My health really went down hill. It took many months to undo that damage.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 16, 2021

My husband did that. He didn't have a heart attack but he had some heart issues so his doctor had him do cardio rehab for 6 months. He really liked it more than a regular gym.

readingrules12 and Mamacita like this.
  28. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Apr 16, 2021

I workout every evening after I put my toddler to bed. I had been doing Beachbody workouts, but when I got pregnant I switched to treadmill walks nightly. Hoping to have energy return soon and will switch to Beachbody Prenatal workouts.

29. pearie

pearie Rookie

May 19, 2021

I am trying to work out regularly, I just need to lose some weight... Do you also take any supplements or vitamins for this purpose? I like those from Canadian pharmacy a lot, for example, and I think you will find it helpful and interesting to you too, have a look there and good luck, guys!

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  30. Aces

Aces Devotee

May 20, 2021

I try to work out 3x a week — usually Mon, Wed, & Fri. But I also do yoga on a more regular basis. It helps with my leg.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2021
  31. Regan@Off2Class

Regan@Off2Class Rookie

May 21, 2021

I like to work out intentionally 3 x a week and in addition, I walk over 10,000 steps 3x a week plus.

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 21, 2021

Hot weather destroys my running routine! I'm strongly considering joining a gym so I can use a treadmill as well as get back to strength training. Has anyone in here tried Snap 24/7?

Aces likes this.
  33. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 24, 2021

I went to snap fitness when there was one near where I lived. I liked having access to all of the machines whenever it worked with my schedule. Now I just purchased a treadmill and have the ability to do my workouts at home. It also makes it easier when I am home alone with my toddler to be able to get my workout in while he is napping.

catnfiddle likes this.
  34. SECOND-Chance

SECOND-Chance New Member

Jul 4, 2021

Once a week, takes about an hour to get through a set routine, early Sunday morning before any church service begins.
    Keeps me physically strong, it's not invasive, doesn't take-up so much time that I become resentful of it. :)

greendream likes this.
  35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 16, 2021

Just started going back to the gym. Omigod, the BURN (it probably doesn't help that I took a class literally called "Afterburn")! That being said, I'm signed up to run my second half marathon in April and I need to get back into fighting / running shape.

Tired Teacher and CaliforniaRPCV like this.
  36. greendream

greendream Cohort

Aug 17, 2021

After tweaking my workout for a long time, I've finally gotten a nice balance. I do weight lifting 3 times a week and running 3 times a week, alternating. Both workouts take about 35 minutes, and I do them before anyone on my block is awake. I've found that I have way more energy and I eat better when I work out first thing in the morning.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  37. Tutorslack

Tutorslack New Member

Oct 8, 2021

Try to do some exercises every day in the morning

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2021

I admit I don't really currently, except for walking & bike riding.

Throughout the years though, my workouts have been a lot of ups & downs. I joined a gym in the late 90s along w/ my parents. We stayed members all these years in which I'd go dilligently at times, then sag out often when a new schedule w/ school &/or work, etc. started.

I even got a personal trainer for the very 1st time in 2006-07 & it was great, but pricey so I coudln't keep it up forever. I've been a member all the way since the middle of COVID I think my Mom finally cancelled it...or the gym did it, but I'll have to double check if she did it.

I have no idea when I'll be back in the gym these days.

39. Muffymay

Muffymay Rookie

Oct 19, 2021

I walk at least 3-5 miles a day. I did go to Silversneakers before Covid, but I just never got back to it with all the restrictions.

40. Mountainjoy

Mountainjoy Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, but I only work out twice a week in the gym and once a week taking a walk or doing an outside activity.

41. Singvogel

Singvogel Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

Right now, I don't. Teaching with pandemic rules knocks the stuffing out of me on a daily basis.

My DH has made major changes lately. He is a champ! He gets up and walks 4-6 miles starting at around 4:30 AM. Yes, IN THE MORNING!

I just wanted to brag about how wonderful he is!