How Often Do You Walk?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 19, 2009

I'm not really talking about walking for exercise, but walking to actually get someplace (to work, store, errands)?

Other than walking for exercise, walking my dog, & walking around the mall or an amusement park, I NEVER walk. I never have a reason to cross the street (on foot) either. It's just easier & quicker to hop in my car & go. There's really only one shopping plaza in my area that's within walking distance & even that would be quite a little walk round-trip.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 19, 2009

I am with you--never.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 19, 2009

Never, I used to walk 18 miles a week at the local track. In fact, I did it for eleven years. I don't even do that these days.
    :(

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Oct 19, 2009

I walk to the grocery store and to run errands most weekends. It's about a half mile each way and well worth the exercise and fact I don't put gas in my car.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2009

I walk for exercise but never to run errands. This city isn't very pedestrian friendly.

7. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 19, 2009

When I was in college, I walked everywhere because everything was in walking distance. However, now there just isn't within walking distance here.

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 19, 2009

My docs have all told me I have to walk - will help my hips, mood, weight, and especially lower back problems. If you don't want to have lower back problems, start taking a 20 minute walk each day right now.

DH and I begin our walking program tomorrow!

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2009

There is a Trader Joe's 2 blocks from my apartment, so I walk to do my grocery shopping. And, sometimes I dog walk on weekends and holidays. And my own dog gets short walks - she gets her exercise playing catch on a big hill.

10. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 20, 2009

I am able to ride my bike to some stores-about 2-2 1/2 miles away. I walk daily for exercise, but not often for errands. Our last rental house was 2 blocks from school-I miss walking to school!! Though, I spent too much time there after hours....

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2009

I almost never walk. In fact I probably walk less than most people.

Everywhere I go, I generally ride my bike or drive. When I ride to work, I ride right up to my classroom door, so the normal walk from the parking lot is something I almost never do.

Same for errands. At most places, bike parking is right outside the door (many stores here will actually let me bring my bike inside). As a result, a shopping trip for me involves far less walking than most.

When I leave work today, I'll push my bike outside the door of my classroom (I'd ride it, but someone would need to close the door behind me.) Then I'll ride 14 miles, and my feet will probably not touch the ground until I get off my bike in my driveway.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2009

How long does it take you to walk 18 miles, Hoot? Golly day. I walk about 4 miles an hour, so that would take me 4 and a half hours....don't have that kind of time. Kudos to you!

I never walk. I wish we lived in a more foot-accessible community. I can't get anywhere on foot without crossing a major highway. I did walk to the pool and tennis courts all summer, and we walk to the playground if we're going there. IF my kids attended our local school, they'd walk daily.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 20, 2009

When I was in college, I walked everywhere. I parked my car on Sunday, and I didn't move it again until I decided to go home the next time.

Once I moved to my current town, I kept up my walking--around 7 miles a day--just for the exercise. There are no stores in the city, just a couple of restaurants & services like lawyers. Nothing else is in walking distance.

14. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 20, 2009

I walk every day. I used to walk at least 5 miles a day but I am in no condition to walk that much now. Right now I'm walking closer to a mile. It keeps me from falling too deep into a depression and helps me to feel the sunlight and keep my sleeping patterns more regular. It also "apparently" helps with chronic pain management, although I'm having a hard time believing my doctor on that one at the moment! :lol:

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 20, 2009

I walk 5 miles, 4-5 days a week. It takes me about an hour, 8 minutes. I've been doing walking for 3 months and have lost 25 pounds.

I don't walk at all for daily errands. Like Kim, I don't live in a foot-accessable community and I'm usually in a rush to get things done so I get home. Sometimes, I think about riding my bike, but I live at the top of a hill and would end up walking my bike for a 1/2 mile.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 20, 2009

There are a few close places in town that I could walk to easily but I live on a very busy road that connects 2 main roads so there's always a lot of traffic and I don't think it's too safe. There's this guy who I see walking EVERY day. Sometimes I see him carrying bags (from certain stores) or just walking empty handed but he is always walking in the rain, snow, heat, whatever. Sometimes if I see him outside walking past my house I will say hi. I want to ask him where he's walking to/from LOL

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 20, 2009

If I lived that close to a Trader Joe I'd walk there every day LOL