How often do you use your formal wedding dinnerware?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 11, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 11, 2011

Our's are still in the boxes in the closet. I love the design but we just don't simply have the space to keep them in the kitchen with our regular dishes. Another reason why I'm looking forward to moving someday. We got married 3 1/2 years ago and I'd love to see them out of the box! I feel it's a waste of money just in the boxes but don't know if I'd regret selling them in the future.

I don't see the point to have expensive things you "only use" once or twice a year and put them on the registry because that's the tradition.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2011

We didn't have a wedding or reception, so we don't have any formal wedding dinnerware, or formal anything for that matter. But if I had formal dinnerware I would use it. Several years ago I vowed to actually enjoy the things I own or have access to. Life's too short...

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 11, 2011

I don't own any formal dinnerware yet, but my parents have some nice China that we started using years & years ago. Life is too short to keep it stored away unused in a cupboard.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2011

In nearly 16 years we haven't touched it. I don't even remember what it looks like.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

I use mine several times a year.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 11, 2011

We didn't get any. We just registered for nice everyday stuff. This reminds me that I need to replace a plate and two bowls...

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2011

I would use it every day too. But I don't plan on registering for any, either. I am still using my mom's old Gold Butterfly Corelle dishes that we had when I was a kid and they are good enough for me. They hold the food on the plate.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 11, 2011

We only received everyday dishes, which we use constantly. I'm told there are at least three sets of formal china waiting for us, but we don't really entertain formally.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

6-8 times a year.

And I use my Christmas china daily from Thanksgiving until New Years.

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2011

We use the "good stuff" about once a week. That coincides with a suggestion (it was more than a "suggestion") by my wife several years ago ...... that we "dress up for dinner" once a week.

Actually it's not a bad thing ...... good china, candles, soft music and good company...:)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

That's exactly our philosophy.

There's no point in having nice stuff sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 11, 2011

I use mine every day.

I was 30 when I got married. I already had a set of "everyday" dishes and a set of antique china that belonged to my grandmother. I didn't want more dishes, but MIL insisted. So, I picked a china pattern. I kept it in boxes stored in the cabinets until last winter. I decided that I was going to use it.

14. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 11, 2011

Maybe I should get it out of the china cabinet...:)

15. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 11, 2011

I didn't register for anything we weren't going to use since we don't host holidays or formal parties. The only silverware I have stored was the set my mom gave me when I moved out before I got married. She got the pieces from a bank every time she made a deposit. This was before I was born, so maybe one day they'll antiques?:haha:

16. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Mar 11, 2011

I don't own any fine china. My mom didn't own china until I was in college, so it will be a while if I ever get some.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 12, 2011

We registered for Pottery Barn's Great White collection. It is super simple and matches anything that is white so we can add to it from other collections. We use it at all our parties-buffet and dinner-about 10 times a year. The only reason we don't use it every day is because our every day stuff is a nice 'china' we inherited from dh's great aunt and uncle. It's what we used all through the time we were dating-we did a lot of cooking together-and I'm not a huge fan of change. But although both sets are made of porcelain or clay or something very fragile, I would not say either set is as delicate as a traditional China set would be.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 12, 2011

I use my "nicer" ones everytime we have guests. I didn't receive them for my wedding, but my father-in-law bought them for me about a year after we were married for Christmas. My everyday dishes are from a dollar store.

19. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 13, 2011

I have two sets of formal china (dinnerware). One set, along with the complete set of crystal stemware and glasses, we receiveded when we got married. We even used the stemware for our toast at the wedding. The other set was from my husband's grandmother. She purchased her set by collecting scrap metal during WWII. We use our china at least twice a year - once for Thanksgiving, and once at Christmas. If we host Easter, we use it then also. We use one set at Thanksgiving, and the other at Christmas. I would use it everyday, but my husband's grandmother's is WAY to expensive to replace broken pieces, and I want to keep our pattern nice. We purchased china and crystal holders and have a cabinet especially for our china in the garage.

My sister and her husband didn't register for any formalware when they got married and she so regrets it. I would be lost without both of our sets. While we don't use it often, it is definitely used for the holidays when we host all our family. I think it is special for the kids to be able to learn how to eat and behave at a formal table. But, that was the way we were brought up - both of our mothers had china and used them for special ocsassions.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2011

I'm a bit 'dish obsessed'...I have 2 sets of 'everyday' dishes, a set of china, Christmas plates, and some Easter plates.:D

21. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Mar 13, 2011

I'm afraid of buying new dishes because I KNOW this will be me, but to the extreme.

I have two sets of everyday dishes (one is a really basic set of white Corelle dishes with blue stripes around the edges, and the other is a really pretty ivory set with a raised pattern on it). My mom has a gorgeous set of Disney Christmas dishes. I love the idea of Christmas china (by the way, one day, I WILL own a syrup pourer with cardinals on it).

But I can barely justify my two sets of dishes when there are only two people in my household at the moment. I can't wait to host dinners at my house and have an excuse to invest in some pretty holiday china.

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 13, 2011

We registered for formal China which we have used exactly once in 12 years. We also bought some "everyday" china for ourselves, which we used everyday, until we had children who broke some pieces on our tile floor. We bought Corelle dishes then, and still use them. My girls will be 9 this year. I'm trying to recall exactly where I stored my "everyday" china. They will LOVE it!

23. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 13, 2011

Another idea: can you find your china pattern on Google Images? Post it here?

[​IMG]
    This is our Everyday china.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2011

That's pretty. :)

I grew up with these (parents still use them), so I when I found a collection a few months ago I had to buy them! I really do love this stuff.

[​IMG]

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 13, 2011

JustMe, those are adorable. Corelle?

These are our "with children" everyday dishes.
    Corelle doesn't easily break when dropped on tile floors!
    [​IMG]

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 14, 2011

We have those exact bowls from my husband's Granny. We use them for ice cream!

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2011

My favorite is the Royal Albert Pointsettia China my mom gave me: http://www.royalalbertpatterns.com/Comparison Pages/Poinsettia and Yuletide.htm

She moved last summer and simply didn't have room for it. It adds to my Nikko Christmas Tree China.

I forget the name of my regular china. We didn't register-- I'm not a fan of registries-- and received it as a gift from my sisters. It's so pretty though-- white china with pale grey and almost-wedgewood-blue around the circumference.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 14, 2011

I have some Casual China by Mikasa. It is still elegant but not the typical formal china. I use it when we have company. I didn't want to put something on my registry that would be so expensive nobody would buy it. My friend put the most beautiful china on her registry and only got one set at her bridal shower. She had to buy the rest herself. It cost a fortune and its still in the boxes they came in after 2 years.

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 14, 2011

We had those as well!

30. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2011

JustMe, those remind me of visiting my aunt when I was little. She had those; Corelle is very durable & kid-friendly

31. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 14, 2011

I can't find a picture of ours anywhere, even Replacements.com. These are our everyday dishes-they are very heavy and fragile, though-I chipped one of the bowls accidentally buy just bumping it against the coffee maker:

[​IMG]

Here is our nice china-super simple white that goes with any of our placemats.

[​IMG]

32. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

33. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2011

[​IMG] Pretty sure these came out at the same time. lol

34. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2011

[​IMG]

We have these too - those were BFs - we haven't gotten rid of anything yet. lol.

35. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2011

silverspoon, my great grandma used to have those!

36. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2011

:lol: The Corelle pattern I inherited from my grandma - those are my everyday dishes (well, when I lived on my own, anyway. Now they're in storage). The tan set are my parents - we still use them everyday!

My formal set - also inherited from Grandma - is discontinued & I can't remember the company's name. It has a dogwood pattern - very muted and mellow. I would break it out whenever we had people over for dinner. As long as it wasn't BBQ ;)

37. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 14, 2011

Here is our formal china - It is Waterford and I love it

[​IMG]

38. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2011

The thing about those corelle plates is they are pretty durable but when they break, they SHATTER EVERYWHERE. I have ruined a few meals that way because there were shards of glass in everything.

39. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 14, 2011

Those are the same "everyday" dishes that I have now! :p

My dad's company had those in their office. They had rarely been used. When the company closed, he was told that he could take anything that he could use. I have place settings for 24 people!

40. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 14, 2011

I finally remembered the pattern name for my formal china and found a picture of it online. Looking at it now, it's so beautiful, I want to get it out and use it again!

[​IMG]

I'm Really enjoying looking at everyone's china :)

41. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 14, 2011

Here's my china.

[​IMG]