How often do you use technology/powerpoint?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by cby1224, Apr 14, 2014.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 14, 2014

I was just wondering how often you use technology such as PowerPoint in your classroom? I am working on some very generic PowerPoint's to use in a Chemistry classroom next year (on a daily basis) and I am wondering how realistic it is to use these daily? Does anyone use them daily? What are the pro/cons of this? Is this one of those things that is great in theory and horrible in real life?

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2014

I think a lot of science is just getting notes down first, then being able to explore and do games and research and labs and such. I give guided notes for no more than 20 minutes per 80 minute class. And I try really hard to never do it two days in a row. In fact, I try not to do it more than once a week.

I think daily power point notes would get boring quite quickly for the kids.

4. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 14, 2014

That is exactly what I was thinking about. Do you think it would be more productive to use them at the beginning of a unit as opposed to each lesson/lecture?
    I should also clarify that these PowerPoints would be used during/for lecture time along with guided notes. I can't see using PowerPoint on lab days or test days.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 14, 2014

I teach in the US, in a state-tested course, 90 minute block periods that meet each day and must get through an entire curriculum in 18 weeks. I use powerpoint almost daily to drive direct instruction. Sometimes I lecture for 40 minutes per day. I do not give guided notes because high school students should be able to take their own notes.

I would never be able to get through a chemistry course with only one or two 20-minute lectures per chapter.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2014

I used to use PowerPoints everyday in chemistry but it just does not fit my teaching style. I tend to write on the board because they have questions and I can usually make up a decent problem off the top of my head to answer the questions but if I have a PowerPoint then I am limited in answering questions. I will sometimes have a PowerPoint slide on the board when they walk into class with the daily objective and the Bell Ringer Problem that they start on while I am doing roll but most of the time I write it on the board also.

7. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 14, 2014

2nd- Good point about the guided notes. As with the PP's and guided notes I was thinking more about students who were absent/lost notes, needed extra review, etc.. They could access these pp's and notes from the website. Do you find the students are bored with daily lecture pp's? Also, do you make your own pp's? The textbook that is currently being used has pre-made pp's that go along with each chapter.

8. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 14, 2014

Another good point! Examples problems are definitely easier to write board. I really like the idea of using PowerPoints but I can see its limitations in a chemistry classroom. I am attempting to get ahead with lessons for this next year by just following the standards. I wonder about using a tablet/stylus for notes? Definitely things to ponder!

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 14, 2014

Some students absolutely get bored with daily ppts. But some students get bored with labs, games and other strategies I use in class.

I have found that teachers that use directed readings - guided notes for the textbook, or study guides that lead them through the notes on their own, end up with the majority of students saying the "teachers don't teach." While I know that different strategies can be equally valid, I personally would rather have a minority of students complain about taking too many notes than a majority complain about me not directly teaching.

Honestly, I have looked at ways to limit my direct instruction (via ppt) but for me, it always comes back to me being most effective with lectures.

I either make my own or adapt other powerpoints that are online.

I do not make my slides available online because students stop taking notes when they can just print some out. They don't have the opportunity to process the info as they write and they tend to zone out or chat because of the safety net in front of them.

10. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 14, 2014

Instead of offering them online, I could always give a copy of the notes/slides when a student is absent. Maybe I could even keep a copy of these things in a notebook for the students to access themselves, when needed.

Thanks for your help everyone. I really think I will continue working on the PowerPoints for now. At worst, I will have a set of PowerPoints that address the standards that can be used when needed.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2014

I use PPTs everyday for direct instruction in every class but my elective. I wouldn't survive the 95 minutes without them.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2014

I don't use PP that often myself, but I think maybe I should! Also, just wanted to say that it's awesome that as a pre-service teacher you are already taking things into consideration like absent students, missing notes, etc...those are the kinds of things I still tend to forget about and the fact that you are already planning for that speaks volumes about your level of preparedness. Kudo to you! :)

13. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 14, 2014

Thank you for the kind words! I bounce ideas off my mom and sister who are both in education and they tend to keep me grounded, so to speak. I think the classroom flow and management also tend to go better when there is an engaging plan/structure in place and I feel like these types of plans will help with that.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 14, 2014

PowerPoint--not a lot. I use technology just about each day though. I do think if you are going to use PowerPoints for chemistry, that doing some of the time can be effective, but too often and it would lose its effectiveness.

15. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 14, 2014

I use PPT every day. My classes are highly structured, so we always have 30-35 minutes of notes, followed by an activity. It's always a PPT, nearly always includes at least a couple little clips (never more than 3 min long) and is always under 165 words. A few weeks ago, the power went out during class. Since I always use PPT, the students all got excited about not taking notes... as though I wasn't perfectly capable of picking up a marker and writing them on the board. It was pretty funny. :p

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 15, 2014

I use technology nearly daily, but I rarely lecture.

I would think kids need to have things presented in different ways to avoid getting bored.

17. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 15, 2014

PPTs help with classroom mgt (somewhat)

I finally learned in this March (first-year teacher here for those not in the know) that regularly turning my back to middle school kids is BAD! I taught the old-fashioned way, i.e., writing math problems and definitions on the board. That took a great deal of effort and I would get class disruptions every now and then. So I decided to create powerpoint presentations of chapter sections. Since the teacher edition of my books are also online, I cut and paste bits and pieces and present them in front of class. It helps that I can show problem solving step-by-step by using animations. All books give you the information upfront but by showing step 1, step 2, step 3, etc....., I can naturally slow down for the slower ones to understand. You can likely do the same for chemistry class.... Balancing equations, stoichiometry, oxidation-reduction, pH, PV=nRT, Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, Gay-Lussac's Law, van der Waals equation..... :lol:

18. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 15, 2014

Avoiding boredom is all in your presentation, your attitude and your interactions with the students. I've never in my life heard a kid say "well, I thought I would be bored, but then she actually wrote ON the board and it was WAY more exciting!" :p

My lectures are full of questioning and conversation. The kids talk as much as I do. The actual method of presenting the words is not what makes or breaks a presentation.

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 15, 2014

I use them every day and always have, even when I LT subbed.
    It's not the Powerpoint but what you do with it can create boredom. If you do the same thing every day, notes, then ask questions then answer, etc, every single day, then yes,it's too monotonous.
    You can use it for direct teaching and take notes, create slide shows where the pictures do the talking, you explain and they watch, or discuss, not necessarily take notes, you can embed videos, etc.

20. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 15, 2014

Great point about not keeping my back turned to the class! I also like the idea of being able to review/skip slides as needed. And what I am working on now is very generic PowerPoints that coincide with the standards and EOC test. I can add or take away from that as needed, but at least it is a start. Worse case scenerio is that I never touch these PowerPoints, although I don't think that will happen.

21. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 15, 2014

I think you both make a great point about the delivery of the lesson as opposed to the method of the delivery. I know that I tend to be a visual learner and delivery can be everything with my attention span.

22. Rox

Rox Cohort

Apr 15, 2014

I use technology everyday, but I never feel like I have enough! For example, with an Apple TV projecting my PPTs, I can write directly onto an iPad, and it will wirelessly communicate with the projector, meaning I wouldn't have to turn my back. I could also freeze the screen that is projected while I search for something on the iPad, then project it when I'm ready.

For now, I use PPTs with an iPad that is connected via a dongle. I include lots of videos, animations, links to websites, show students' work, etc. I send the PPTs to students through eBackpack so that they can take notes directly onto the slides. I also use the ELMO to project experiments (we don't have a lot of lab equipment). I've use a lot of my time during the summers to create and edit the PPTs.

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 15, 2014

I said different ways of presenting meaning not just lecture and notes whether it's a PP, board, or prezi. I've never heard a kid say "I love how my teacher lectures every day!"

Discussions, self-discovery, hands-on experiences, webquests, etc... can all help. Lecturing every day is something I hated. I wanted to be up and moving. Kids learn in different ways so I present my information in multiple ways.

24. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 15, 2014

Wow, that is awesome. I only hope to have this much technology at my disposal when I am hired. A quick question did your school provide these items do did you write grants, etc for this technology?

25. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 15, 2014

I have a question for you: how do you create your Powerpoints on the iPad?
    I always use PPs, I have an iPad and could buy an Apple TV and get reimbursed for next year. But one of my main issues with the iPad is the transferring the data. I have my PPs saved on my laptop as well as on my flashdrive. I couldn't use my flashdrive with the iPad, so would I have to email myself?
    Or would I have to create the PPs on the iPad? I don't even think I have Microsoft Office on the iPad, I thought they weren't even compatible.

I know these are lot of questions, but I always thought about doing what you're doing and gave up because of these difficulties.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2014

I use Google Presentation every day for writer´s workshop and also technology in general every day.

27. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Apr 16, 2014

Geometry doesn't do a lot of PowerPoints except for at the beginning of class for bell work, classwork, objective, and homework. But I do use my document camera daily, except on test days. From what I hear, the Chemistry and Biology teachers have created daily PowerPoints and notes that corresponds with the PowerPoint.

28. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Apr 16, 2014

You create the PowerPoints on your computer than use iCloud or download an app like Dropbox and save all you PPTs to that.

29. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 17, 2014

Make sure that every four or fifth slide is so off-the-wall that the students will stay awake so they won't miss it. I seldom use powerpoint, but when I do, nobody sleeps. I store mine on Slideshare, which is an excellent resource if you're looking for a powerpoint. Above all, don't read the slides aloud, and don't use them very often.

30. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 17, 2014

Powerpoint as are great for images. Besides it's an easy way to show pictures, you should use them as much as possible to illustrate what you're talking about and to reach the visual learner even more. And of course it breaks up boredom.
    I always have a student read out loud what's on the powerpoint.

31. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2014

I like the idea of keeping a copy of the PowerPoint notes in a binder. It works for absent teachers and for slow note takers who didn't get all the information. If you have a sped co-teacher he/she would find that binder very useful.

32. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 1, 2014

I just found out this past week that the lab/classroom that I would potentially be teaching from has a smart-board and laptop assigned to the teacher.
    Since I am a potential career changer, I have never used a smart-board. Is there something better to use than PowerPoint? Thanks for any suggestions!

33. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 7, 2014

I missed some of the questions directed to me earlier... I wrote grants for the technology. My school is good about sending out information on how to get this.

I make my powerpoints on the computer, save them to dropbox, then use Keynote, Slideshark or Nearpod to show them.

You can use powerpoint and the smartboard technology together. Sometimes the feature is turned off or isn't available on your model, but you can pull up a blank slide and create/show/draw right on the smartboard. You can also have a photo of a model in powerpoint and have students come up to label the different parts, by writing on the smartboard.

34. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 8, 2014

I believe they come with a special program that allows you to create presentations directly for smartboards.

My frame of thinking though is to only create materials that I can for sure use again and again. If I had a smart board one year, there is no guarantee I'd be back at that school or in the same classroom and might find myself without a smartboard the next year.

Hence I create all of my materials on (or upload them to) Google Docs. I have materials I've created as well as stuff from multiple teachers and curriculum programs. A search for a keyword or concept will show me all of the items matching that concept in my Drive.

As for the question you posted originally, I don't use powerpoints every day. I probably use them about twice a week, the other days being lab days, project days, or some other type of activity. I usually give cornell notes with my presentations when I do use them and we do them throughout the year so I don't want them to get worn out and not like them anymore. (as much as they can like notes to begin with)

I also don't use guided notes with my Middle Schoolers. I did last year but decided not to this year, and the kids didn't miss a beat!

35. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

May 8, 2014

I use my projector connected to my computer almost daily. I use it for notes, activites, all sorts of things. I love being able to save my lessons to use them again the next term.

36. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 9, 2014

Thanks for the information. As far as changing classrooms and not having a smartboard, there is a smartboard in each room. I think I will upload to dropbox or something along those lines and I found an app that will connect my iPad to the smartboard.