How often do you think about quitting?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 27, 2014

Not this year, but I have in years past. Almost all those times are in Q2, Q3, or Q4. I never have thought about quitting in Q1. The students are excited and so am I to be back.

The 2 things that make me feel like quitting are being overwhelmed or having a really tough class. I have found that doing more meaningful, engaging, and fun activities make me want to quit less. If my students and I are finding ways to laugh and get excited about learning in even small ways, I can put up with the rest.

2. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Sep 27, 2014

This is my first year as a licensed teacher teaching in the USA, but I have been in education for 3 years. The initial workload took me by surprise. I knew teachers worked long hours and took work home, but I suppose actually doing it myself really drove the point home. For a good couple of weeks and even now, I have been questioning my decision to become a lead teacher. My co-workers have been telling me because it is my first year, things will get easier and I believe them. I am just tired all of the time, have been sick for the past two weeks, and am looking at a pile of 200 papers to grade on a Saturday with the question in my mind of when will it end?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2014

It's gone through my mind plenty. But only because of my self-concept and feeling of inadequacy. I couldn't imagine doing anything else, and despite how frustrated with myself (whether warranted or not) I might feel throughout the day, I cherish every moment I have to work with each of the students and help them grow, and know that I am making a positive difference in their lives.

4. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Sep 27, 2014

I am a para who wants to become a teacher in an elementary setting. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a teacher since I was very little and I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I would love to teach 4th or 5th grade one day.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2014

Last year, I thought about it every day. If I had not been moved to a different grade level for this year, I absolutely would have left my school at the end of last year.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 28, 2014

Last year I had an extremely difficult difficult class and not enough support and I thought of quitting a lot. This year I have 5 more students than last year, but it's a lovely class and I feel completely revived.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 28, 2014

Last year I thought about quitting every single day. There were lots of tears. I even came on here to announce that it was my last year teaching and I was DONE.

This year something magic has happened. Yes, I'm still tired and overworked. I'm still being pulled in too many directions and don't have enough resources. I don't even have math textbooks! But somehow I'm getting through and I'm okay. My class overall has fewer behavior problems and my team is getting along amazingly. I'm trying hard to be positive and working to integrate my curriculum in order to meet all the standards.

I tend to suffer from seasonal depression so we'll see how I feel come November, but for now I'm glad I stuck it out another year and I'm optimistic.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 28, 2014

It's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one!

The tough thing is that I know deep down inside that I'm a good teacher, but I just feel so defeated when I go to work every day. I don't feel like my hard work is recognized. I guess I need that recognition to feel validated. :(

It was so nice last year when parents were asking me to loop, because they wanted their children to have me for 3rd grade. I have so many hugs and visitors every day from my students who are now in 3rd and 4th grade. At the beginning of the year parents kept telling me how happy they were that their child was in my class, because they've heard such good things about me. I even had a parent this year tell me that their child said, "I like going to school this year because I have the best teacher ever!" :)

It's all of those things that make me love my job, and help me realize that I am a good teacher. However, I just feel like I'm always being compared to a handful of teachers who are "leaders" in the school, and do a lot with technology and project-based learning. I do a lot of these things, too, but apparently not enough. It just really makes me feel like crap. I sometimes wonder if another district is the way to go, but I would hate to move and be even more unhappy.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 28, 2014

I think the first is far more important than the latter. According to your students and their parents you are a great teacher, this is what matters, not what other teachers think about being the leader with technology and politics.
    Those teachers might have students who don't like them and the parents who don't care either way, and they're probably looking at you, wishing they could be like you :)

10. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Oct 8, 2014

My sentiments exactly. I spend a lot of time writing lengthy detailed plans. It feels like it is for show because the actual plan i use to keep me on track is an outline. But the plan the admin require we keep open on our desks at all times has been writing 5 -7 paragraphs for each part of the lesson. That overwhelms me. I barely even use that plan.

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 8, 2014

My thoughts exactly.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 8, 2014

I never really think of quitting for any reason because I'm tired of the job or whatever. But I do constantly think about my plans for the future, and where I would like to be. This would involve me having to leave my current position so I could attend school again. But I think I will long-term always be a teacher of some sort.

My current plan is as follows:
    1. Teach for a few more years as a middle school teacher, get national board certification if I can, and save money.
    2. Leave to attend a graduate program full time in physics.
    3. Possibly come back and teach high school physics.
    4. Maybe teach community college classes on the side.
    5. Someday be a professor. (not likely, but it's a dream)

A good friend of mine died recently, at a very young age, and I've been around deaths of students, and it always has me thinking that life is so short, and I don't want to spend it doing something I don't enjoy doing just to get to retirement.

So I've been pondering my life, and occupation, but I realized I made a good choice in my profession. It's fun, always different, and I love the teaching and the content aspects of it.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 8, 2014

Don't sell yourself short! It's good to have dreams :thumb:

14. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Oct 8, 2014

Every time my district adds one more thing to our list of 'professional responsibilities.' Right now, if I did all of them, it would be a full time job outside of my regular job, so I don't. But every time they throw a new one at us, which is about once a month, I think about quitting.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2014

This year, often. I'm keeping my options open and thinking about next year. 22 years and this is really the first time I have felt this frustrated. Enough said.

16. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Oct 9, 2014

I feel like you have read my mind exactly!!! Almost everyday, I think about it, but I actually love teaching. It's all the other stuff. I know that some if it is part of the job, but I feel like I have no life sometimes. I feel like I'm not even appreciated (and not by the parents) for the strategies I try with my class even though I try almost anything I find or even suggested...sigh...

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2014

I haven't exactly thought about quitting, but I want to research other districts. My new school requires so much more work than any of the other schools I've been at. And since I have a new baby at home, I'm getting really frustrated with how much they expect of me. I just had to go to a required Saturday training last weekend! I also hear comments about how I leave too early. But I'm worried that I'll think the grass is greener and then end up in a worse or similar situation.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 9, 2014

I do think about winning the lottery and walking out. :lol:

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2014

I would love this! But of course I actually have to buy a ticket in order to win.

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 13, 2014

I think about quitting every single day, and I have for the past two years. Like you, driving pigeon, I am defeated. I have had my passion for teaching stomped on, and my joy is gone. I still do my best with the kids, and I know that I am a good teacher; an effective teacher.
    I constantly look on line for possible jobs I could do, or start to do, and how much of a pay cut we can afford to take in order for me to quit.

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2014

Last year I thought about it almost everyday. I am in a grade level I don't particularly like and I had kids and parents from heck. This year I haven't really thought about it. I have an ok class. Kids are better behaved, but after today's testing I have a lot of work to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.