How often do you think about quitting?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

(Either your job, or the teaching profession altogether?)

I've thought about it every day lately. :( I just feel so defeated. I have an awesome group of kids, and very supportive parents this year. It's all of the other "stuff" that's getting me down.

I'm just wondering how everyone else feels, and if this is normal. I don't think it is. :/

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 25, 2014

Sorry you're having a rough time. To answer your question, I never think about quitting, but the "other stuff" overwhelms and stresses me out a lot of of the time

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

I have thought about it more this year than ever before. A big part of it for me is that I have a new baby at home. I know that's not the only thing causing me to have thoughts of leaving my school, district, or the profession.

I am currently researching masters programs. The things topping the list for me are programs that would allow me to remain working with students but not necessarily in a traditional classroom setting. We'll see what happens.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 25, 2014

I'm afraid this may be the new normal for me. I never used to, and I used to love my job, but each day brings a new wrinkle that chips away a bit more at more joy for teaching. I just keep hoping it will turn.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2014

Pretty much never. I occasionally think of leaving my school, only because many of my friends want to leave there in the next year and I don't want to end up miserable. Also I could make more money in districts closeby.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 25, 2014

never

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

That's exactly how I feel. :( I love the kids, and actually teaching, but I feel like the other stuff makes my life so stressful. I hate that my job affects my personal life (and mood) so much. I just want to feel as happy and normal as I did this past summer when I wasn't working. I would love to be able to leave work at work, and enjoy spending time with friends, instead of feeling stressed out about how I'm going to get all of my work done that weekend.

I think that having a baby on the way has me worried, too. I don't know how I'm going to handle work and family. I already neglect my husband and pets. I hate it so much.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

For me, family comes first. If that means that I adopt a "not my job" mentality about certain things at school, then that's what it means. I'm okay with this.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

That's what I need to do. I won't be a "favorite," but I guess I'll just have to get over that!

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 25, 2014

We just moved to a new state and when we moved, I told my husband that I was DONE teaching. I wanted a job that I could leave at the door or just stay home with my kiddos. This job is VERY demanding and I spend more and more time with the job than I do with my "life". But I ended up subbing then getting a job. I'm glad I didn't give up, but I do dream of having it a little easier. Why do things have to be so complicated?

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 25, 2014

Pretty often- but I think that's just my attitude about stuff. When I can mentally talk it through with myself, everything is honestly okay/fine. I have other interests and skills that could allow me to get a different job- but I think I could always find issues with any kind of job I had.

13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 25, 2014

Unfortunately, that's an excellent way to describe my feelings as well. The core of the job is something that I think everyone on the board loves, but it's all the little caveats that get introduced that make it suck sometimes.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 25, 2014

Usually, only when I'm really stressed or not feeling well. You know that feeling that if you just don't take care of yourself you just might get sick? Yup, that's how I've been feeling all week. The bounce is out of my step.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 25, 2014

Pretty much never. I love where I work. It's so amazing. I have stressful days but then I hear something awesome and I feel better :)

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

This year has been the first time ever I am thinking about whether or not to return to this school. I just feel like the priorities the school has and I have are becoming vastly different.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

I have a student this year that is making me think of quitting, more or less on a daily basis.

18. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Sep 25, 2014

Every Sunday.
    I love teaching, I just dislike being micromanaged, and all the data collection....soooo much data collection.

19. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

Same here -- any job will stress me out and make me hate life at some point. I think that's only human. ;)

Teaching at two different schools has made me really appreciate my new environment. I used to think about quitting literally every day... I'd cry and think my education degree was completely wasted. Where I teach now, I think of it occasionally... but it goes back to the fact that I'm new and am constantly playing catch-up. I need things like a leveled library and such that take lots of time and effort. Otherwise, my school is AMAZING and I am very grateful knowing how bad the other side can be.

You shouldn't hate your job -- it's a sign that something needs to change, whether it's asking others for help or looking for a new school. Since you're most likely in a contracted position and aren't going to leave during the school year, try to take it easy and limit the time you spend working. Make time for your family and for fun, because it WILL be worth it. :)

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2014

Far too much, unfortunately.

For many different reasons.

I'll stick out the year for sure. But I do think I want to move to an "easier" district, but even that might not be enough. I'm sick of being micromanaged (like Flanny says). My lesson plans aren't detailed enough for you? Well I don't write them for you.

21. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 25, 2014

Is it horrible if I say "every single day"? I was a little burned out last year after a hard class, but I thought I just needed to get away from my horrible admin., so I switched schools over the summer and changed positions. Now I have even harder kids, less support, and the amount of work is piling up. I'm still trying to put everything I have into this group of kiddos, but I'm worried that this will be the year that does me in. I'm hoping to move into a more admin or resource setting next year and get out of the classroom for a while. Sigh...

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2014

I think about it often, and if there was another obvious career path to go into (without having to go back to school) I would definitely pursue it. For me it's not necessarily that I feel the need to quit right now, but it's more that I literally cannot imagine doing this for a minimum of 30 more years. I'm only on year 5 and working in public education feels like it's getting worse by the day! My coworkers and I feel like we are drowning with everything being completely new plus all of the political turmoil going on with teaching right now. Just the other day we were saying that the sad thing is that our district is probably one of the best in the area as far as working conditions, now that the reformers have completely tanked the high performing districts. We're low ses but definitely not "inner city" so we don't have as much stress as the lowest performing either. If we're still this stressed, we can't imagine what it's like for other teachers in the area.

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2014

I agree with your evaluation of public school. Last year all I could think about was getting out of the system. I couldn't stand what it was doing to my students(and to me).

I'm glad I gave private school a chance this year. It is a completely different situation. I'm thinking I may be able to continue here until I am actually old enough to retire.

I know I will never go back to public school. I am earning less than half of my previous salary, but, fortunately I am debt free and can take the cut in pay. This may be a viable option for other teachers who are so stressed out with the demands of public schools right now.

To one of our favorite OP's...is it possible for you to job share after the baby comes?

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

I rarely think about quitting my job, but there are days (when things just seem to pile on me) that I feel like I can't do it anymore. Those days are rare think goodness! I do wake up every day wishing I didn't have to go to school or that I could go in later or work from home.

25. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 25, 2014

Just about every day.... Definitely every week. I love it. I really do. I'm just so tired of having to work at home or stay late into the evenings in order to feel like I'm on top of things. I already come in earlier than most of my colleagues in order to avoid traffic. I thought that by year five I would have figured out how all those other teachers leave work at work, but I haven't.

26. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 25, 2014

Last year, I thought about it at least weekly, sometimes daily. I haven't thought about it this year, yet. I think changing districts really helped. With all that being said, though, I do get incredibly frustrated and bogged down by all the demands put on us. It's like every time I turn around there's something else to be doing, something else that needs charted and graphed, something else to add to a portfolio, etc. It's not anything unique to my new district, it's just the crap that comes with the job these days. :(

Beth

27. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 25, 2014

I used to fantasize about it regularly, so I things changed up and now I now don't consider it.

28. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

This.

I am happy being in my too small room with too many kids and several behavior problems. I can deal with that. What I hate is all the testing and micromanaging. Two teachers at my school have quit already this year and I think more will follow.

29. pinkrobots27

pinkrobots27 Rookie

Sep 25, 2014

Right now, I'm actually making my "exit plan" from my job and looking for something new to start in Jan.

This year I've thought about quitting at least weekly mostly in a fantasy sort of way. There was one day when I came really close to quitting but held myself together.

I realized today I've been unhappy more than happy this year at work and I deserve something much better.

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

I thought about it subconsciously all the time. When something else came along, and I had the opportunity, I was scared to death but took the leap. I have and will never look back. I am so much more appreciated and respected in my current job. My life quality went up tremendously by changing jobs.

Life is too short to be miserable or to second guess what you spend the majority of your time doing.

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2014

For the first time, yes.
    I have a rough group. It seems like I've had nothing but rough groups since I left NC. This is my fourth group of kids and they've all been bad :( This group is so bad that I rarely teach. I have to yell over top of disruptive kids when I do. I send them out and they are sent back to me within 10 minutes. I call home. Absolutely nothing ever happens.

My mom's friend's son is 24, gradated college with a biology degree, and works for Quicken Loans. He is making $200K a year.

32. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

How often? Just about every day - but then my day will improve and those thoughts go out the window. Until the next day. ;)

33. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 26, 2014

Every so often I wonder if I would have been happy in another career. There are just so many exciting jobs out there that I never considered. But I don't ever think seriously about quitting my teaching job. In fact I had a dream that I quit and as I was walking out of the school I was sick with regret.

34. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

Honestly the sweetest and most job affirming post on this thread. Thank you for sharing that. :hugs:

35. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2014

Yep, same here...

36. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 26, 2014

Today, I've thought about quitting about 12 times. Yikes! It has been a day. At least it is Friday!

37. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

And by Monday we'll all be ready to have another go at it!

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 26, 2014

Well, this week was rough so I'm thinking I should start buying some lottery tickets (that's the only way I could quit LOL). Today I had a meeting and this person was just saying the most ridiculous things. I hope the other 2 people at the meeting didn't see me roll my eyes at her. People like that really make me not want to work at a school at all. The kids I have patience with. Dumb adults I don't.

39. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 27, 2014

So far I have not thought about quitting, even on rough days. This is my second year. I am still so grateful for this job, I remember subbing and wishing to have my own classroom. So even if it's rough, very rough, I wouldn't dare thinking about quitting, because I think maybe I just might get my wish. that's how superstitious I am. So on a rough day, instead of quitting, I'm thinking of ways to fix whatever mistakes I'm making.
    Or I just come home and sleep and don't deal with it all.

40. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Sep 27, 2014

This year, sadly, every day. My school is under instructional review due to poor test scores. The amount of work required outside of the classroom is insane. The amount of new directives we're required to implement in our classrooms is crazy. Meetings? Every day. Planning time? 20 minutes per day - usually spent responding to a parent or dealing with an administrative issue. There are not enough hours in the day. I'm stressing this weekend because I don't think I'll be able to finish all the paperwork that is due on Monday. All of this "extra" is not going to make me a more effective teacher - in fact, I believe the stress is actually making me less effective.

My poor family misses me.

I love my students and I love teaching but all of this extra stuff is pushing me over the edge.

41. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2014

I´ve never really seriously thought about it but...this year my group is really rough and I can honestly say I am not enjoying many of my days. Primarily because there is so much focus on behavior. I hope things become more enjoyable sooner rather than later because I do love teaching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.