How often do you sub? help with disagreement

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Peachyness, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2008

My husband and I are having an argument (well, not really an argument, but more of a disagreement). I really want to move to my dream town. I lived there for about 3 years for college and fell in love with the place. My husband and I are are currently living in a town where both of our families live. He grew up here, my family moved around CA and landed here. Anyways, since I have to look for a new job, I decided that it would be fun to sub in my dream town while I make connections and contacts. He thinks that I will NOT get many calls. Maybe five a month and that we'll be poor and homeless. He is also a sub. He gets called to work every single day. He works for a community alternative high school and feels that our county is unusual and different and that no other district will call as often as ours does.

My argument is that if I apply to sub in many different districts, I must get a call, at least 3 times a week, on average. I do understand that it varies, though. He standing firm on his opinion that we won't ever get called to sub. He does not want to move to our dream town unless I get a permament position. I'm afraid that won't happen as it is very difficult to get a job in that town. I was hoping that subbing would help me get my foot in the door.

So, how often do you get called in to sub? Anyone in the central coast of CA (I know, it's a long shot) who could tell me how often they get called in to sub?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2008

Peachy, are you sure he's okay with the idea of moving? This sounds more than slightly like foot-dragging to me.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2008

Oh believe me, I brought that up more than once. He says that he wants to move there too, but that he wants to avoid any disasters. He says I just do things but don't think things through. I do.... to a point. I looked into the districts, emailed them, printed out subbing applications. I plan to apply soon so that I can get into the subbing system, ready to go next year. In the meanwhile, I will continue to look for jobs. He feels that the dream town, being smaller than this town, will not have as many jobs avaiblable.

That's why I asked this question. I was just wondering how often you guys, on average, sub in a month.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2008

Ah. So phone the county office(s) of education under cover of asking whether you as fully credentialed teacher could substitute without needing a sub permit, and ask in the process what the sub market might be like for each of you.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2008

There's an idea. That'll answer that other question too. :)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2008

Every once in a while I'm useful...

8. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 20, 2008

Well, I'm far from CA...but I get called every single day. For the past 3 years I've worked the very first day of school and the very last day too!!! My first year I was called at least 3x a week. From Oct. thru Xmas break I worked every day my first year.

You are correct about the foot in the door. The schools get to know you and you get to know the schools. I've had several job offers, but with my corneal dystrophy, subbing is all I can commit to.

Now, I'm in IN, so I can't speak for CA, but my sub coordinator has said from day one that if she knows she can count on me to take the call and do a good job I'd be at the top of the list!

Good Luck!

9. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Apr 20, 2008

Two years ago my wife and I faced a similar decision, except that this isn't our 'perfect' community.

I sub in a smallish TX district (3,000 students) with one MS and one HS. I could work everyday, but limit myself to 2-3 days a week unless the coordinator tells me she really needs me all week.

Tell your husband life is about living, not working. Go and find a way to make it work.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2008

Exactly!!!! That's what I try to tell him. He's so weird. He also doesn't really like working for a boss and loves subbing because of the free time he has, yet, he makes a big stink about me going back to subbing. MEN!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 20, 2008

I'd be terrified to move without one or the other person having a full time permanent position. What will you do for health benefits? What if one of you gets sick and can't work? How will the bills be paid then? At least now you are near family.

12. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 21, 2008

To me...common sense says "the more districts you are in to sub for the more calls you will get". How far away is the "dream town"? If it's close enough to sub there and live where you live now, it shouldn't be a problem to continue to sub where you live now, in the dream town and in any other town, city, or county where you want.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 21, 2008

Peachy,
    Keep applying to jobs. Something will come along even if it's not in your dream town. It might end up being the dream job anyway!

If you do end up going to dream town. See if you can be a perm. building sub. Basically means you go to work everyday and they use you were you are needed.

14. CareerChanger

CareerChanger Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Not sure about the central coast of CA, but in the bay area, you could sub every day if you wanted, without a problem. Seems like most of CA is close enough to a large district that if you are willing to drive a bit, subbing should not be an issue. I am curious about the health benefits though... how do you handle that? or are you going without? Health benefits is one of the main reasons I decided I needed a full time teaching position!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

I'm on the central coast of Ca, and I subbed at the beginning of the school year and was called every single day to sub. We actually can call into our system and sign up for jobs, so you can plan ahead. I'm not sure what your husband is basing his opinion on. I think if you are employed with school districts all around you (including towns that you are willing to travel for), you should undoubtedly get called regularly. I ended up getting a tutor position through subbing, which pays more than subbing, so who know what may happen!

16. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Apr 21, 2008

I understand the origin of "woman" to be from the oft-repeated phrase "Woe to me - I have a man."

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 22, 2008

Peachy,

I sub in one district with about 23 elementary schools. I mainly sub in just one of them. I would say that I sub 80% of the school days by prearranged subbing at my favorite school and another 10% that comes in from the system. I turn down most aide jobs and half day aide jobs unless they are at my favorite school so that is the missing 10%.

If I averaged it out I think I work a little over 4 days per week.

I find that it is slow at certain times of the year. Now being one of them, around spring break, and before Christmas.

Seems like you make a lot more subbing in California than you do here in Texas. What I get paid pretty much goes to gas and groceries.

18. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Apr 22, 2008

I sub for five districts, and I usually get called every single day. Some of them are half days, though.

I think the more districts you're in, the more likely you are to get called. Also, the more contacts you make while subbing, the more likely that school or teacher will request you to come back, which makes even more jobs for you!

Good Luck!! :)

19. subinla

subinla Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

So, how often do you get called in to sub? Anyone in the central coast of CA (I know, it's a long shot) who could tell me how often they get called in to sub?

Scratching my head as to which specific area is your 'dream town.' Humm...central coast might be....San Luis Obispo? Do tell.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2008

Gee, how did you guess? :D

21. str8_2_thepoint

str8_2_thepoint Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

I agree because subbing is definitely not guarenteed especially during breaks and holidays! If you have another part time gig to work along with subbing then you could probably be ok. But if both of you guys are subbing it sounds like a big risk.

Last week I worked 5 days, the week before that 4 days, the week before that 3 and this week ive only had 2. So its sooo on and off. Im super far from CA though.