How often do you have the KIDS call home?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 17, 2010

I've done it a few times, and it's effective, but I worry the parents will think I'm taking the easy way out. What do you have the kids say? Do you speak to the parent first or after?

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

I do it whenever there is a problem that requires parent contact. We make a big deal talking about how upset mom or dad will be when you interupt them at work. They need to take responsibility for what they did, and explain it to mom and dad. Most of them have a really hard time choking out the words, and I normally talk to the parent after and explain what happened. I think it's good to give the child a chance to explain what happened first. I normally only have this happen once or twice, before all the kids see that they don't ever want to have to do that!

For me, it's also extremely helpful because I don't speak Spanish, and the majority of our parents are Spanish speaking only. Sometimes I wonder what the kid is actually saying, but with how worried they are, you can tell they are telling mom the truth.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

It's simply not a possibility in my building.

Any disciplinary issue that can't or won't be handled by the classroom teacher goes to the Dean's office.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

When I have a parent call, I have the kid call first. It's only happened three times. I kind of prep the parent saying that unfortunately their child has made a poor choice and he/she is right here to tell you about it. Then I let the kid talk, then I get back on and tell the parent what actions/problem-solving steps are being taken.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

I've done it once or twice, but usually the threat of calling a parent straightens things up (and they know that I will call, it's not an idle threat). It is incredibly difficult to call some of our parents at work, unless it is an emergency situation--they work at jobs where they are not able to take phone calls.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 17, 2010

I keep a pre-paid cell phone just for school-related calls. I've handed the phone over to kids a few times. It works well for certain kids and certain situations.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

A few times for discipline (but almost all my kids are pick-up, so we usually wait till the end of the day and do it face to face).

If they've forgotten anything important, then I have them call...

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

I've sent kids to the office to call if they are missing lunch. Anything else, I call or email.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 17, 2010

I've done it several times. It's very effective. I always start the phone call myself to make sure it's a good time and then I let the parent know that their child is there and needs to address something with them. (I've done it for cheating several times, disrespect, and not turning in major projects.)

11. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

If I have "frequent offenders", I will often call home, say, "This is Mrs. O, and Johnny is going to tell you why we're calling." We have a phone in the room, so it's very easy to do this and get right back to teaching. I will also have students who don't turn in their weekly report after the first semester call home. Sometimes the students don't take them home and sometimes the parents just don't sign them. Either was is unacceptable to me, so the phone call is more or less a reminder.

12. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

Since my parents don't speak English, I have students call home a lot (sometimes we use older siblings). In general this is not for discipline issues, unless kids were pulled off bus and now need a ride home. For big discipline issues we use our bilingual assistant, but he's only there 2 days/week.
    I also do a lot of home visits and use kids to translate minor things ie field trip permission slips.

13. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 18, 2010

So do you all have the kids call in front of their classmates? Our phones are in the classroom, and they won't stretch outside to the hall.

14. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 18, 2010

Ooh, thank you for the step-by-step. I my mind tends to freeze up when I need to call a parent.

15. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

I do.

16. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

I've done it twice in the last 3 years... Oh my goodness it was very effective. I basically do what Lynn said- Call and start the conversation and then let the child speak with the parent. I've only done it when nothing else has worked with the child.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 18, 2010

I've done it once. I was in my second week ever of teaching 7th grade. I had a kid say some pretty outlandish things. Now, not one to ever be accused of being sane, I whipped my cell phone out of my back pocket and called the boy's mother on the spot, and explained briefly what happened and that her son wanted to explain the rest. OMG, you could hear that mother's fussing at her kid through my phone across the room.

I never had to do that again. The story spread like wildfire, and I was the crazy drill sargent that didn't even let students sneeze if it wasn't scheduled :D. They did call me sarge behind my back, but I never minded.