How often are you late?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ima Teacher, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 24, 2012

I'm not a morning person at all, but I've never a actually been late to school. I absolutely need my morning time to organize myself for the day ahead.

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

I woke late as well! And I have three alarms. I wasn't near late to school, but I still thought "Darn that A to Z" when I saw I slept through the alarms.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 24, 2012

I was the opposite! I didn't sleep well because I was afraid of being late :lol:

4. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 24, 2012

I usually am not late, but lately, I have been late by a few minutes. I'm driving over an hour and haven't quite gotten the right time to leave down yet. I HATE it!!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 24, 2012

An hour is a long commute! I was never late once in ten years. I know, I know .... there are drugs for that these days. But, I loved the early-hours quiet at school and the chance to get things together in peace.

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 24, 2012

I am hardly ever late. Any time I have been late has been due to things outside of my control....SNOW. I live in the north and we rarely have snow days. However, even with lots of plows and salt trucks, traffic is still an issue with a several inch snow fall. We have contracted hours...so....

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2012

I very rarely am late for work. I was late once when the car before me hit ice, then the curb, at a turn around right before our school. I could see the school. She broke a tie rod. She couldn't move the car. I was early, got out to help, found out that she was the new music teacher, she was starting that morning. I called the school, had them get her a sub & had someone cover my class. I waited with her until the tow truck got there. Then I drove her to school & her Dad came to get her.

One time, when I was a day care director/teacher I called the owner & told her that I was late for work. She was okay with it, she didn't understand my panic. Umm, it's 7 a.m. & a student always came in at that time. She finally got me to understand that it was only Sunday, not Monday!

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2012

Late to a teaching job? Never.

I've been late maybe one or two times to my old shoe store or clothing store jobs back when I was in high school. One time I flat out forgot I had to go in! Oops!

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2012

Rarely since I came to my latest school because they are very strict about teacher attendance. But, at my old school, I was late all the time and it didn't bother me. Honestly, I am not a morning planner and being there about 10 minutes before the kids come in is all the time I want (unless I need to make copies). Other than that, I am just sitting at my desk catching up on ESPN.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 24, 2012

I'm at school a few hours early. If I'm late, it is really late and someone needs to sub for me for a bit because something major happened. It has happened a few times.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2012

A few hours early?! Now that's dedication. So if you don't have to be there until let's say 8am, you arrive there at about 5am ever single day? OK, I noticed you're a kinder teacher, so are you a PM kinder teacher in which class doesn't start until around 12 something for you? In our district, the PM teachers have to arrive just as early to get their contracted work hours in & help out the AM kinder teacher a bit.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2012

I arrive about an hour prior to the kids.

The only time I was ever late was when I was teaching at two different schools and I had to travel from one to the other. They didn't account for travel time when they made up my schedule.

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 25, 2012

I am not a morning person at all. I've been a couple of minutes late several times, and I live near school. If I get out just a couple of minutes later than usual, I end up behind buses picking up kids.

This year I set my alarm 15 minutes earlier. I'm trying to get to school about 15 min. before the kids. My first class of the day used to be an enrichment class, which made life easy because these kids worked on their own most of the time once I set up the project with them. I was a resource for them. This year I have a regular LA class first thing after homeroom and it is very difficult to just show up at the last minute because everything has to be up and running right away. Just yesterday, my laptop decided to act up and the scanner at school needed to be coddled - thank goodness I had that 15 minute buffer!

I did have a dream about being late. It happened the night before the first day the kids came back to school. I dreamed that I'd decided to have lunch with my aunt who lives four hours away. I figured I had enough time to get there and back during a 90 minute break! The dream ended with me trying all types of scenarios to get back on time or to at least save my job! Needless to say, I woke up very tense and looked at the clock to be sure I hadn't woken up too late.:lol:

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 26, 2012

In 9 years, I have been late twice. The first time, I was 3 hours late :eek: because the interstate I commuted on got shut down due to flooding. Of course, it was shut down after I was already on it and past the last available exit! Luckily, it was a day we had planned a grade level activity for the morning, so my coworkers were nice enough to split up my kiddos. The second time was last year when my husband's car was stolen from our driveway, which we discovered when it was time to leave for work. I had to wait for him to make a police report, then take him to work, drive the kiddo to daycare,then double back to school. I HATE being late.

15. goth_teach

goth_teach Rookie

Sep 21, 2012

Last year, I was late probably 1-2 days a week, because I had so many bus transfers and caught the first bus toward the city in the morning. There just wasn't an earlier bus. If one bus was running late, I would miss my next one because they were so close together. Thankfully, I had a supervising teacher who understood and didn't have me scheduled to teach until third period. This year, we are in a new building (my commute is half as far) and I've only been late once. My new normal is to be there an hour early. I've got the same supervising teacher again this year, and I'm getting there earlier than she is now. I was told that when it gets cold, if I'm consistently getting there earlier, she will just give me her keys and have me unlock and shut off the alarm each morning.