How often are you late?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ima Teacher, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 23, 2012

I was late for work this morning, and I felt like I was running behind all day long. I hate that! I wasn't even that late. We're supposed to be at school at 7:50, and I got there at 8:00. Class doesn't start until 8:10. The kids did give me a hard time about it. :p I'm always early for everything. Being late for things makes me crazy. This is my 20th year, and I've been late three times: once for frozen car doors, once I just couldn't get it together, and today for a flat tire.

I know some people who are chronically late, and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. I'd be insane if I were late all the time.

How about you? Early, late, or right on time?

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2012

I get insane if I leave the house late and end up hitting a little traffic. I HATE being late. Luckily I've never actually been late to work, the closest I probably ever cut it was 15 minutes. I think being really good about it leaves me a little leeway if anything does happen this year where I'm actually late. I'm sure my AP would be understanding.

4. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 23, 2012

I'm usually 15 minutes early wherever I go, including work. This year I have to be at school at 7:05, so I don't think I'll make it earlier though. I wasn't ever late to my school (it's like a fear of mine), but I was late once or twice when I worked at a hardware store while in college because I overslept. I felt so bad, so that's why I remember it. I hate being late. Luckily I haven't had car troubles, otherwise I'd probably be late more. I agree that some people don't seem bothered when they're late at all. I would be so stressed if I had to come to my classroom late since I need some time, at least 10 minutes, to get prepared.

5. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 23, 2012

I hate being late as well, and it definitely throws off your day. I think I was late once because of some insane traffic and I didn't leave as early as I usually do. My school day starts at 8:05... I usually leave at 6:30-6:45 and get there for about 7-7:15.

If I don't leave that early I get stuck in mega traffic thats headed in NYC in the morning and its awful. So I'm usually in the building by 7.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 23, 2012

Once. I got a flat tire and it was completely shredded. Had to call AAA then had to get new ones right away (spare wasn't all that great for a 40 mile drive to work). No big deal, another teacher volunteered to cover my morning class for me.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 23, 2012

I was chronically late at my last school. The thing is, I'm not a morning person AT ALL. I get nothing done in the morning, and to me, if I'm prepping for the day in the morning, I feel grossly under prepared. I always left my classroom ready to walk in and teach the next day- learning targets on the board, everything copied and laid out, etc. Also, absolutely no one cared what time we showed up as long as it was before the kids (no, I was never THAT late). We didn't even have a contract but there were "teacher hours." My P made it clear that she didn't care when you came in or left as long you were prepared and getting everything done. I usually made sure I was there about 10-15 minutes before the kids just in case something were to happen with the drive or whatnot, and then all I would do in the morning would be catch up on e-mails.

At this school, I'm still so new and feeling like I'm behind on everything that I've actually been showing up really early. Everyone comes in early and then leaves at 4, so it's hard when I'm tired at the end of the day to be the only one staying...for the time being, I've kind of adjusted my schedule to theirs and then only stayed maybe an hour after school at the most. I also of course am not going to be late for the "contract hours" because I don't think this P is as laidback as my previous one.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I will very rarely get caught at the RR crossing when a LOOOONG freight train goes by...when it happens, I call school to let tem know...and I'm still only about 5 minutes late even then.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 23, 2012

A couple of teachers at our (very small) school are late every day. I feel late if I get to school at 6:45! Our students come to the classrooms from 7:55-8:05, and there are days when I don't feel ready for them then!

10. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

My principal doesn't care when we come in as long as we're on time for our classes. Last year, I got to school around 10 minutes before 1st period started. This year, I got an apartment closer to school, so I won't be in such a rush anymore.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

This is me too. Not chronically, but I get there with a few minutes to spare. I hate being late! We're supposed to be there by the time the first bell rings (7:55). As long as we're there by then, we're ok. Our P has only mentioned a couple of times about people being late, and never called them out.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2012

I'm always early everywhere I go. I usually get to school by 7; we need to be there by 7: 30. I was late once a few years ago. I just never heard my alarm. I was still there about fifteen minutes before the kids, but I felt so 'off' all day.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

I get stuck in 2 different high schools' traffic in the morning. I am about 3-5 minutes late twice a month. Most days I am about 10 minutes early.
    I am 15+ minutes late 2-3 times per year. The HS kids like to rear end each other :rolleyes:

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

I was 40 minutes late on the day of state testing. There were TWO separate fatal accidents on the highway that morning. I had planned on being there an extra 30 minutes early.

A few times I was late because the alternate school buses sometimes blocked my parking space. Out of desperation, I parked in a fire zone after school security told me it was ok. I got a $120 ticket. That was my money to visit a friend for a weekend this summer. So ******. Especially since I lost my one fun thing to do this summer; money is TIGHT with medical bills.

15. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 23, 2012

I have lots of issues in the morning getting to work. I am usually a few minutes late, even with the best of intentions and planning. I just find it so hard to leave on time and I don't know why.

Fortunately, I am never, ever late for anything else. It's just in the morning. ^^

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

I have been late to school from sleeping over once in over six years. I didn't recall even a dream-like alarm sequence. I woke up just barely enough time to get to school, but I wouldn't be late. I get in my car. Turn the key. Nothing. My husband's job usually allows him to come home if needed in a moment's notice, but it happened to be a very important day and he couldn't come home. So he called our friend and he came alllll the way to my home after working a twelve hour overnight shift and helped me...I've always loved him, but I have to say, I loved him even more after that. But I was still late. :p

I've been late a couple other times because of accidents or unannounced road closures due to rain or snow.

Being late kills my day.

17. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 23, 2012

I've never technically been late. I have slid in with a few minutes to spare a couple of times and it threw my entire day off. I hate feeling rushed. Our contract says 7:45. I am usually there between 7:15 and 7:20. Some people rush in at the last moment. That would drive me insane.

This year at P/T conferences I got to school about 10 minutes before it was scheduled to begin. In the previous years I've gotten there earlier; however, I was waiting for DH to get home to watch DS. And, I figured I ws good because I still had 10 minutes, right? Wrong. I got there and all the parking spaces in the "teacher lot" were already taken. Every parking space in the main parking lot was taken, and every space on the overflow was taken. Major Panick Mode. I had to park behind two teachers and rushed in to find parents waiting outside my door. Apparently, somebody opened the door early. I felt like an idiot.

Beth

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

I'm ususally there atleast 30 minutes before we have to be. I need time in the morning to figure out my day mentally. I'm like you, running late would make me feel late and not together for the rest of the day.

19. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Aug 23, 2012

I get to work an hour early every day. I like working when there are few distractions going on. Plus, I just need some quiet "mental time" before the kids enter my classroom. I don't know how some people are chronically late and can go right into teaching mode 5 minutes after walking in the door!

20. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 23, 2012

I follow the old saying, "If you are on time, you're late."

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

I think that saying is, well, it's obviously incorrect...so I don't aim to follow it.

22. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 23, 2012

Oh, I disagree because if you just arrive on-time there are usually things to do to get settled. Unless these things are taken into account for what is on-time, then you end up late.

23. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 23, 2012

I usually arrive right on time, but I really do prefer to get to school early. I overslept once my 1st year teaching and someone had to cover my class for about 1/2 hour! :eek: One other time I had a rental car, and was at the McDonalds drive through getting a coffee when the car ran out of gas. :eek: That was extremely embarrassing, since someone had to help me push the car to the gas station next door so I could fill it back up. (At least they gave me a free coffee after that! :lol:) I didn't have a 1st period class that year, but I did call the school to tell them that I would be a few minutes late. Other than that, I am usually at school around the time we are supposed to be there. I am sometimes a couple of minutes late, but it really does throw off my entire day when I start it in a rush.

We don't sign in when we arrive, so there are some people who really abuse that. The principal spoke to some people about that last year and told them that they needed to get to school earlier. (He always stood in the lobby greeting everyone anyway, so he knew exactly what time everyone arrived.)

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

Yeah, we're looking at this differently.

25. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 23, 2012

I was majorly late one time last year ( I got to school about twenty minutes after my contract time, still had twenty minutes before the kids got there...but still.) I overslept and I woke up in a panic because it was my first year, and I was so embarrassed. I called my P ASAP and let her know. I also went in to her office the minute I arrived to apologize in person. She was really nice about it though :)

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

27. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

One time I was about 30 minutes late because of a fatal car accident on the way to work. I felt awful-I hate being late. Last year my car wouldn't start one day and I ended up getting to my classroom right when the bell rang. The kids were standing there, but they didn't say anything. My husband was deployed and I didn't know very many people who lived close, so it was hard to find someone to jump start my car.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

Last year there was a day when the Long Beach bridge was stuck in the open position. There was no other easy way to get from all those villages to school. We had a good 8 or 10 teachers late-- as well as all the kids from Long Beach and the surrounging communities. there was just nothing anyone could do.

29. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2012

I can say that I have never actually been late to work. I like a little quiet time in the room before students get there. But there are plenty of times that I leave right away.

30. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2012

So far, I've always been on time to school (rather early actually). But I have been late to my classroom just once (when I was running copies and not watching the time).

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 24, 2012

I have never been late. Not even once. I leave early enough for work that no matter what happens I can make it there on time. Even when I had an hour commute, and my car broke down, I was still early. When I had a 45 minute commute and was pulled over at gunpoint and had my car searched, I was still early. I am rarely late for anything.

32. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

Oh, I'm an early bird. Sometimes I have to wait for the custodians to turn off the alarms! :eek:

Teachers have to be at my school at 7:30 am and I usually arrive around 6:15 am. For me, I feel like I'm running late if I get there around 7.

33. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2012

Never. I lived the furthest from work (40 minutes away) and was usually the first one there for many years. I carpooled with a young woman who would continually show up late. We finally left her and it got better. Yes, there are good excuses for being late but if you are tardy consistently you need to get up and start earlier.

34. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

I have always lived very close to the school I worked at so being late wasn't an issue. I'm a morning person so I get to work more than 2 hours before we need to be there. I'm done in by the end of the day and I rarely stay beyond contract time.

35. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 24, 2012

I've only been late twice - once because my car battery was dead and once because I had a flat tire. Both times I called in and someone covered for me until I could get there. No biggie. Although I hate being late just because I'm running behind.

I have no excuse this year. I live a block from school and walk everyday. If I can't get there by 8:40, something is seriously wrong.

36. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

Never. It's not an option.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

I'm usually there an hour before the kids arrive (we need to be there 15 minutes before the bell), so even the few occasions when the van didn't start and I needed to take a cab, I was there in plenty of time.

The only time I remember arriving after the students was when I was doing a long term sub position and we had a huge snowfall overnight. Our schools don't close, so it was a workday. My van got stuck in the snow on the street so I went to get my husband to get it and I set out on foot. The school was a 25 minute walk (without the snow). I called the school to tell them I was on my way and I arrived about 30 minutes after the bell.

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 24, 2012

I am convinced that I have a phobia of being late (if there is such a thing) so I always try to leave my house early. In the 8 months i have been working at my new job I have not been late. We have to sign in by 8am and twice I signed in at exactly 8am. As a rule I try to get there at 7:30 because I just like the extra time in the morning to get things done (the kids arrive at 8:30). For me, running late means I get there after 7:45. I see a lot of people coming in at exactly 8am and one time the secretary asked me, "why are you here so early"? It was 7:30 and I had set up a meeting with someone early so we wouldn't have to do it after school. I would rather arrive early than stay late any day!

39. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

I pull into the parking lot 40 minutes prior to the time required to be in the classroom. Many days I am even earlier.

40. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

I think the question totally jinxed me!!!! I was late today! I just wrote about how I was like never late. It wasn't me fault though, but it's still makes me look dumb and late. I have new teacher meetings all week. Well normally all of us are at the district office. On Wed, they told us to meet on Thursday and Friday at a middle school, which happened to be mine. Posters of this change were all over the DO. Well on Thursday, I had to be instead at a reading meeting, that only effected me out all the new teachers, so I missed anything that was said on Thursday. Well turns out the switched the meeting back to the DO today. I was at school at 7:00, and hour early working away in my room since that's where I thought I had to be. Asked the assistant principal, but of course she was not nice again. So I figure out to drive to the DO and walk in late. It stinks. I feel out of place and made a bad impression now with this woman who's presenting and strict.

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2012

NEVER! I'm starting my 2nd year in this position, worked a year previously at another school & had been subbing for a good 10 yrs & I've NEVER been late. Actually, I've never been late on any job I've ever had in my life. I like to give myself an hour to get ready (casually w/o the need to rush around) & another 30 min to drive there. Plus, I've ALWAYS set my clocks about 10 min earlier for as long as I can remember.