How not to lose hope?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hbcaligirl1985, Nov 12, 2012.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Nov 12, 2012

How do I keep from losing hope. Jobs are so hard to come by right now and each day feels like a giant clicking countdown to whether or not I'm going to have a career or not. Granted I have until 2015 or 2016...but I don't want to be a sub until then. I know the private and charter school sectors are not for me (not that any of them are hiring anyway). A lot of what happens in my future and how well I'll be able to take care of my grandparents depends on how soon I will be able to get a job...

So my question is how to you keep from losing all hope?

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 12, 2012

I'm sorry. :(

Charters and private schools are actually hiring - not in huge amounts or anything, but they are hiring. I think sometimes it helps to work in a than perfect job situation for a year or two to build up the experience. One of the girls from my credential cohort who LOVES primary is teaching 7th/8th grade math this year. I'm sure having teaching experience will help her move into a more ideal job situation later on.

And since prop 30 passed and budgets are not being slashed further, that can mean nothing but good news for job seekers. I'm not anticipating pages and pages of job openings on Edjoin or anything, but at least when teachers retire or resign they will be actually hiring replacements instead of just dissolving those jobs to prevent further layoffs. (I live in SoCal too, so I know how it works around us.)

I really hope things turn around for you - the job market really is abysmal in most fields right now, and I know that's frustrating. :hugs:

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 12, 2012

I feel EXACTLY the same way you feel, about the time, about private schools, everything.

I think the only thing makes me feel better is the fact that I'm not the only one in this position, most teachers I have met (in person or even online) have subbed for a few years in the beginning. Most teachers I have met in person have subbed for an average of 3-4 years before landing a teaching job, and this was in the better days. When you hear stories that someone got hired right out of student teaching - those are the exceptions.
    So I feel that nothing is wrong with me, I don't have a teaching job because there aren't any, not because no one wants me. Until then I make the best of the situation, I learn as much as I can, and after all, I still love what I'm doing.

5. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Nov 12, 2012

I havent. I didnt make it into the Huntington Beach subbing pool :(

6. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Nov 27, 2012

I have cured the 'no job blues' by keeping incredibly busy so that I have no time at all to think about not having my own classroom. I was lucky to get a night job and between subbing, night work, and working on my Masters degree, I'm usually not able to think of another job. I really want my own classroom though that I can organize the way I like, have full access to my student information, can contact parents, etc. It will be well worth the wait...

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 27, 2012

Keep the faith. It takes one person to recognize your potential. You just need to sell yourself to THAT person.

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2012

Keep the faith, kneel down and ask God for his help and guidance.
    He's the Man with the plan!
    Rebel1

9. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Nov 28, 2012

It's not fun waiting around for that one job, is it? :( I'm in the same boat, and I sympathize. All I can really say is make yourself as marketable as humanly possible and apply for every job you can. You could also always look into alternative job opportunities for a while until the market is a little better.

10. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Nov 28, 2012

LA Unified is hireing for spring and next fall right now for certain subjects. They were even looking for noncredentialed folks for thier alternative program. I am fairly sure they have to hire the credentialed ones first. You should take a look if you are Secondary Ed. Maybe you could find something with them. I beleive they are interviewing through the begining of Dec. Also I bet with Prop 30 passed they will be looking for more teachers for next semester to replace the ones they could not afford to replace last fall.

11. Sincere

Sincere Rookie

Dec 1, 2012

Don't lose hope! This time of year might actually be in your favor since job openings that do arise need to be filled quickly. If you're on the ball and apply for jobs as soon as they pop up and a P takes interest, you may be one of only a handful of candidate interviewed, which gives you a better chance. I know this was the case for me. I've had 3 interviews in the past 6 weeks because P's were looking to fill vacancies quickly and I applied promptly and emailed my cover letter and resume. Out of the 3 I got the position I really wanted. Don't give up! Jobs are out there, just continue being determined and don't seem downtrodden about it. You want to exude confidence (which is so hard after subbing for awhile. I totally understand). The right job for you is out there and your tile will come.