How much writing ...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Upsadaisy, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2011

... do you expect incoming first graders to be able to do? Do you have them answer written questions about their reading? Do they keep journals?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

I'd start them with drawing pics of their favorite part, musthe writing a sentence but accept invented spelling.:love:

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2011

Hmmmm... interesting question... basically, it depends!
    While the state standards have them writing sentences, they start out mostly drawing responses, but the expectation changes quickly to text. I have had kiddos who came in writing (fair) sentences, and kiddos who came in unable to write their name or knowing their abc's. That's where differentiation comes in, I guess, lol!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2011

Thanks, guys. Anybodyelse?

6. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

Most of our incoming first graders are able to write AT LEAST one complete sentence, with proper mechanics.

My students however, I'm happy if they can get a complete idea down and we work on the mechanics throughout the year.

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 13, 2011

Wow! I teach kinder and *most* of my students leave me writing 3-5 sentences. I would say 1/4 of them can write paragraphs. Last year I spent two 20-30 minute chunks of time devoted to writing though...

8. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

This is what I hope for. Most of the kindergarten teachers I know try to have them writing at least 3 sentences by the end of the year.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2011

Most of our kids are already writing several sentences by the time they enter 1st. I start with only requesting sentences initially, and then we get into what a paragraph is and begin writing more complex pieces.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 13, 2011

I start out literally with "bare bones" sentences, just to make sure (and to allow the lower ones a chance to catch up/do well). I have a graphic of a dog bone, and we make tons of bare bones sentences:
    She runs.
    Larry sat.
    Dogs play.
    and so on. Then we begin elaborating. How does she run? Where did Larry sit, etc. It kind of builds on itself. Last year, unfortunately, I had one child who never made it past the bare bones stage - unless he was dictating to me. The rest were cranking out "7-up" sentences (7-words or more) and paragraphs!

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 13, 2011

I agree wholeheartedly. Three sentences with invented spelling and some accurately spelled words.

There are those kindergarten and first grade kids who REALLY love to write, too, and write front and back.

...Then there are fourth graders who can write up to twenty (and as high as 65 once) pages... but that is for the end of the year book publishing project in my class. It just takes motivation. :cool:

12. luvin2teach

luvin2teach Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

My first graders come in usuall able to write at least 2 sentences. At the beginning of the year I have them do at least 3 quickwrites. This is when I give them 10 minutes to write or write and draw whatever they want. If they decide to draw a picture then I tell them they must write words to go along with the picture. This gives me a real idea of what level the students are at the beginning of the year and what I need to focus on. I do quickwrites in the middle of the year and at the end. It is amazing how much first graders learn. I keep the quickwrites in a folder and give them to the parents at the end of the year so they can see the change that their child has made.

13. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 14, 2011

I want all of the K teachers to come to my school please!!!!! We have a bad K program. Some of teh kids do not even know letter and none are writing sentences. They have to learn two years in first grade!!

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 14, 2011

Some of my students come in an are not able to use finger spaces or use capital letters and then some come in writing paragraphs. It just depends. This is where my differentiation comes in. If they can write the paragraphs I will have them write about their favorite part of a story and draw a picture, write any connection they have to the story and draw a picture and then they can compare and contrast or figure out what text to text connection they have.

With the others they can just draw a picture but they have to try to label it or I will just let them write. Whether it makes sense or not I just let them write. Then I go back and have them read it to me and I look for the sounds/letters to match.

So it all depends.

Does anyone teach how to make a sentence with an a noun, adjective verb, etc?

I teach what a noun, adjective and verb are but I have never incorporated it with sentence writing. Something that I had a hard time trying to explain to the kids.