How much writing practice is there in Pre-K?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by greendream, Jun 9, 2014.

1. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 9, 2014

My son is starting Pre-K in August. He knows his letters and can read and write about 15 different words, ranging from his own name to words like ball, from, of, and go. He has trouble remembering to put space between his words, and he still writes mainly in capital letters. Is there a lot of handwriting practice in Pre-K?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 9, 2014

It depends on the program-usually yes. With some programs the focus will be on developing fine motor skills first before the actual handwriting skills. Others will just have direct writing practice-the dotted letters, etc.

Your son is really ahead of the game writing-skills-wise. We usually see entering Kinders writing at that level.

4. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jun 9, 2014

I depends on the program that the children attend. It also depends on what you consider to be "writing practice".

Some people's idea of writing practice is worksheets, following dotted lines to make letters, teacher instructing the children in writing.

Others consider writing practice to be developing fine motor skills, offering a variety of writing materials to use, and the children work at their own pace.

5. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jun 9, 2014

I honestly would not stress too much over the spacing and capitals, those are things that will come much more easily the more experience he has interacting with print. The best thing to do for him right now is to expose him to a wide variety of print, read to him a lot (I often point to each word as I read it to help them develop a connection between word and print), and work on his fine motor skills. Pre-K will likely do all of these things as well. I would also suggest, if you haven't already, seeing whether he can recognize those words outside of the context you taught him on. So if he can identify them on flashcards, try finding the word written on a label, letter, or whatever and ask him to read it. If he can't, don't worry about it too much, it will come. In my opinion, the absolute most important thing is to ensure that he is mastering pre-literacy skills. If he has a solid foundation, reading and writing will come fairly easily.

Anyway, my main point was, it sounds like he is a bright kid and will be just fine. :)

6. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 10, 2014

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm hoping they do work on those fine motor skills in Pre-K and expose him to words in various contexts.

7. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

Is he going prek for three year olds or four year olds?

8. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 16, 2014

Four year-olds.

9. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Jun 18, 2014

Isn’t that enough for a four year old boy? Although there are many kids who don't know even to write their names. Your son is intelligent. He will learn how to write and read once he enters the preschool.