How much would you push this?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 11, 2012

Ugh, I'm so frustrated. I teach self-contained special ed elementary. My students are high needs and need absolutely everything modeled for them. My biggest problem is I have no board to write on. There is no chalkboard or whiteboard in the room other than a small easel that is only about 4 feet high. I do have a Smartboard, but it doesn't work! Supposedly, there's a missing cable that needs to be replaced and then it will be usable. As of now, I use my tiny easel because I have no choice, but it's so annoying. Most of them can hardly see it at all because it's too low to the floor. Plus, it's so small that I can't write much on it.

I have mentioned this to my vice-principal several times. I keep getting the exact same "Oh yeah, I'll look into that" response. How many times can I ask without being seen as a pest? I'm a new teacher there and I don't want to come off as difficult but my situation makes it extremely difficult to teach effectively. I'm not even taking into account how much I could incorporate Smartboard applications and learning tools into my lessons. At this point, I'm just desperate for something to write on that my students can see.

Should I keep pestering him? I kind of want to bring this up to my principal in some way that doesn't sound like I'm accusing the vice principal of inaction. Like just a passing statement like "Things are going well, but I'm looking forward to the Smartboard getting fixed so I can have something to write on that the kids can see." Or should I just suck it up and keep my mouth shut?

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 11, 2012

1) Have you put the request in writing? If so, keep a copy for your records!

2) Can you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase a large piece of showerboard? It can be used as a dry erase board. I have heard of people hot glueing them to their walls.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 11, 2012

I think you should stop "pestering" him and start nailing something specific down. Instead of saying "hey, I still have that problem with the Smartboard" say "Is there someone in the technology department that I can contact about that missing cable?" Ask him what the next step is and then tell him you'll be willing to follow up on it. Take the task out of his hands but get the permission to do it yourself.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

Do you know which cable is missing? Would it be worth it to just go buy it yourself?

Does your school/district have a procedure for putting in requests for purchase orders or tech requests? Maybe doing something "official" like that will get the ball rolling.

Can you set up a Donors Choose project for a new Smartboard?

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 11, 2012

I have made an "official" request to the technology dept. I have heard nothing since then. That's why I went to my VP in the first place.

7. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Sep 11, 2012

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 12, 2012

9. Rox

Rox Cohort

Sep 12, 2012

Check the student's IEPs to see if there is anything that says that students need things modeled for them, etc. If so, quote this and send it to your P with your request again. If not, add it in the next IEP.

10. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 12, 2012

If you have a SMART board, you can use dry erase markers on it. The lady who worked for SMART assured us that it was okay--she said they even ship them with dry erase markers.

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2012

NO way! I would not suggest doing this...depending on the brand of the dry erase marker you will ruin it!

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2012

Do you have a laminator in your building?

Laminate the biggest paper you can and cover a section of your wall with it.....THIS you can use as a dry erase board.

13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 12, 2012

As long as your SMART board is not an OptiPro and as long as you're not using low-odor dry erase markers, you will not harm the board at all. I've used mine as a white board for 3 years now.