How much work does your principal do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jessegirl, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Jessegirl

Jessegirl Rookie

Sep 18, 2013

Another thread got me thinking. In my career, most of my principals have skirted their responsibilities and their job is usually done by the vice principal. How much work does your current principal do?

Mine is really in the middle. More towards being hands on, but a lot of responsibilities do fall on the vice principal.

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 18, 2013

I'd say he's an excellent delegator. He does a LOT on his own, but he's good at overseeing the jobs he asks others to do. He works closely with my VP. They are a great team. If you can't tell, I adore my admin, both of them :love:

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2013

In my experiences, the P and AP have totally different jobs. The P is more directly concerned with teachers and teaching while the AP deals with more management issues such as ensuring we have the correct number of safety drills and student behavior issues. I've never felt any of my Ps have actually slacked on the job (even if they didn't make decisions I always liked).

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2013

What is it you aren't seeing your P do that you think s/he should be doing?

When we had a vp (don't anymore), that person handled discipline, data analysis of testing, worked on scheduling, some observations and curricular stuff.

My Ps have ALWAYS done the budget, main decision maker when hiring, school communications, observations, attends board meetings, manages office staff, paras and faculty, as well as a lot of behind the scenes kinds of things...

Now that we have no VP, the P is more visible as he has more on his plate...but just because one doesn't see a P doesn't mean that person isn't doing the job.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 18, 2013

We have no AP so my P does it all. He's awesome!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2013

I have never worked for a principal that I thought was skirting around their responsibilities.

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 18, 2013

Relatively none. :dunno:

9. Jessegirl

Jessegirl Rookie

Sep 18, 2013

I'm not going to get into it for my current principal. I don't like to reveal too much about where I work. I will talk about a principal I had when I was at another school. She would sit in her office all day and not visit any of the classes. When you went to her with a problem, including serious issues that were about student rights, she would tell you to come up with a solution to "your problem". The vice principal did everything from budgets to dealing with scheduling conflicts. I really can honestly say I don't know what my former principal did besides attending workshops. Speaking of such, she would allow use to go to them. Only to the vice principal tell us they were never approved in the first place. She messed up things up and had no problem telling us misinformation.

10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 18, 2013

Seems to me like he/she (wink wink) is always in his/her office on the phone. But, what would I know?

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 18, 2013

Whatever her responsibilities are, I have no idea how she gets them done. There is usually a line outside her office of staff, parents, or kids who need to see her. That would drive me crazy if I was trying to get stuff done.

12. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 18, 2013

My P is very involved while still holding the belief that different things work better for different teachers which I think is wonderful

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2013

Before this year I would have said a lot; she delegates but is pretty hands on in many respects.

But now, considering that she just had a baby in July; I think she's doing an unbelievable job especially since our school is having a staffing crisis. We still have a few teachers who were hired in the summer but the district has not processed their paperwork yet. They were allowed to teach for the first three weeks, but anyone still not processed by this past Monday was not allowed to enter their school building at all this week. I understand that with 85,000 students we are a big district with lots of teachers, but that is ridiculous. Furthermore, we have had four teachers quit so far.

With all this considered, I think she is doing an excellent job trying to keep it together, keep morale high, and not overwhelm other people (teachers and ILs) who are already feeling burnt out in September.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 18, 2013

A ton. This year no VP so he does it all. I don't think anyone is working more hours than him right now.

Both in public and private schools, I have had some poor Ps as well as good ones, but never seen one without a huge workload. They delegate, but they still end up with a lot of work.

15. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 18, 2013

My principal's amazing. I'm constantly in awe of how much she does and how much she's helped our school grow. Our 4 APs do a ton of work too, but the P is just top-notch. She will jump into the middle of a fight in heartbeat and fights the city on our behalf on a daily basis.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 18, 2013

Last year, my principal incited a lot of drama, backstabbed a lot of people, and was caught multiple times not doing his job. His replacement is an amazing, gracious administrator who keeps her thinking and actions transparent. The last email I received from her was titled, "How can I help?" That was a general offer to all of the team leaders she covers and, in her eyes, serves. It's a pleasure to work with her.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 18, 2013

My principal and AP do very little. I work in a small self-contained school (about 40 students) for students with severe behaviours. Neither of them teach a class or steps in for a teacher if they get sick during the day -- if a teacher can't find a sub, she is expected to stay in school. I had to take a whole afternoon off because I needed to leave 20 minutes early. My principal is into how we appear to the outside.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 18, 2013

I assume my principal is extremely hard-working, but to be completely honest, other than my TVI and the other 3rd grade GT teacher, I don't really pay that much attention to what any other adults in the building are doing.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2013

How on earth would you be able to judge that?

In my large school (2550+ kids), the AP is in charge of academics. The principal is in charge of running the school.

So we've passed the fire inspections. There are enough qualified teachers to teach every class.We haven't had any issues with 2 classes in teh same room at the same time. There are enough desks for every student in every room during every period. The water fountains work. There are no necessary repairs I'm aware of. As far as I know, all the necessary paperwork has been filed with NY State to keep us open. Textbooks have been ordered and, in most cases, received. The tone in the building is one of civility and respect. The halls and classrooms and cafeteria are all orderly. The disticts have been made aware of the bus schedules and, for the most part, kids have been getting to school on time. Technology has been updated. The new gym bleachers are being installed. Sports teams have gotten off to a good start, with games scheduled and no two on the same field at the same time. Yesterday's paycheck reflected my increase in salary, and I've always been paid on time.

I could go on and on and on. Which of these things happened thanks to my Principal, and which have been delegated to the AP, the Deans or the AD or someone else, I don't know.

I don't think it's the job of the principal to do everything. I think his job is to ensure that everything gets done.

The principal is in charge of keeping the building running, and mine runs well. So I would say he's doing a fabulous job. And, by the way, he also teaches 2 freshman Religion classes.

And anytime I have been in crisis mode, I've been able to go to administration and have gotten the help I've needed. So I would say they're well beyond fabulous.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2013

My current principal has been working 15+ hours a day (including weekends) since the last week of August, as we moved into our new school and are working out all of those beginning of the year bugs. He is outside with the students every recess and lunch hour with the students and is out in the halls and classrooms during the day. Our VP is split between two schools--one with over 400 students and ours with over 600 students (and growing). I've never seen him sitting down.

I have worked for principals who have frustrated me at times, but never have I felt that they weren't working.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 19, 2013

I'm sure quite a bit. She/He does walk the grounds quite a bit from what I see...these days anyway.

22. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2013

My director does way too much. Yet at the same, she does nothing at all.

She feels like she needs to be in control of everything that goes on in the school. So she has absolutely no time for teachers. If I want anything done, I talk to the English director.

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 19, 2013

The principal where I was a student and my parents were teachers would be the first person there in the morning and would often stay late, washing desks if the custodians needed help or an evening off. He knew everyone's name and didn't hesitate to scoop up trash as he walked the hallways. He could cover any class in a heartbeat if a teacher became ill and a substitute was still enroute.

He attended my wedding eight years ago. I attended his private funeral last month. Despite advanced mouth cancer, he was still working from home, coaching first-year principals, until seconds before his death. I couldn't make it to his public memorial service, but I heard there were hundreds of former teachers and students there to honor him.

Can I be a little bit like him? I hope so.

24. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 19, 2013

Our school runs smoothly, so the P must be doing his job! I don't interact with him too much because he's a busy guy, but he's nice and generally well-liked. Elementary schools around here don't typically have APs/VPs. They start in middle school.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 19, 2013

And what a memorial this is!

26. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 19, 2013

I'll step out on a limb and state that those who claim their principal doesn't do much probably aren't qualified to make such a claim.

27. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 19, 2013

Our principal does her job, plus. She pulls duty first thing each morning, she covers all discipline for 600+ students, does the reports, and always has time to visit when we need her.

28. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 19, 2013

I'm a principal of a 7-12 school and have been now for 5 years. My background before that includes 20 years of teaching, 5 years of being a Department Chair, and another 3 as an AP of Academics. I will admit that before I went into administration, I too thought that administrators did not do much. You really have no idea what administrators do before you go into it yourself.

My school of roughly 2000 students has a Principal (me), and 3 assistant Principals. How each leadership team delegates task is really decided by the principal and the higher-ups in your district. Some schools have one AP for discipline (also called a dean), another for Academics, another for guidance, etc. My school divides this up a little bit differently as my leadership team has a varied experience and I try to play to their strengths. As a result we divide up some of the subject-specific academic issues depending on our backgrounds.

Usually, however, the principal largely handles all communication and coordination with the district. Though, most parent communication is not sent to me personally, it often is kicked up to me. Discipline, however, is handled by the Assistant Principal in most cases. Before I was an administrator, I saw this as passing the buck by the principal, but I soon discovered that most Principals spend much of their day in meetings on and/off campus, leaving little time for immediate discipline meetings.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2013

Today is Thursday. Since Monday morning, my principal, in addition to all of his usual responsibilities has:
    - met with the superintendent to discuss enrollment and staffing needs
    - posted an open position, interviewed, and hired a new teacher
    - facilitated the reorganization of 8 classes and the opening of a new class
    - communicated with the parents of all of the students impacted by the reorganization
    - visited all of the classrooms impacted by the reorganization and spoken to the students about it
    - reorganized the timetables of 6 teachers
    - had meetings with the planning department and the superintendent regarding the ongoing construction of our new building

30. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 19, 2013

:thumb:

Our principal is busy and running from the moment she arrives to the moment she leaves. We often get late night e-mails from her as well.