How much work did you bring home?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Tasha, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 29, 2011

I didn't go up to the school to do anything this year, but I did bring a little bit home. I am finishing up lesson plans today and cutting out some laminating off and on.

I try to not bring a whole lot home over breaks becasue I love spending time with my kids and family and getting things done around the house, but something always ends up coming with me. This year I was able to leave mostly on time the last week of school by bringing this stuff home with me, so it evens out.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

I have a fair stack of marking (2 assignments), but it's something i can do in bits and pieces. I do have some planning to do as well, but with 10 more full days off before I go back, I'm not really thinking about it yet.

My kids are older, and tend to be out almost as much as they are at home, so it's easy for me to do school work over the break.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 29, 2011

I brought home some writing assignments and a movie packet we worked on for 2 weeks. Actually I already graded about half of them. It's mostly about getting it done, record the grades and catch up with other grade-recording as well (behavior, classwork, etc.) The quarter ends on January 13th and i want to be ready with all the grades.

I'm actually already planning, I spend about 15-20 minutes / day whenever I have a good idea or the mood strikes - I'm halfway done, and I don't feel like I spent precious time from my break :)

Last year was a different story - I was student teaching, and brought home about 70 5-paragraph essays and other assignments, had to plan for my last TPA, and for 3 weeks of lessons - that was too much.

5. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Dec 29, 2011

So.Much.Grading! I've been working for a few hours over about three days and thankfully all my grading is complete, but now I have to input all the grades into PowerSchool. Off to do that now!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

I brought home quite a bit this year. Usually I get so much done over the summer, but with my maternity leave coming up, I needed to bring things home to get ready.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 29, 2011

I didn't bring home anything. I use this time to spend with family and friends. Plus I have all of my new units ready to go when I return on January 3rd. I spent an hour or two after school for two days prior to our break preparing things for the New Year.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2011

Not much. I have some planning to do, but that's it. Grades were due a couple of days after we got out for break, so I have everything done grade-wise.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

None.

I'll do some planning on Monday.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2011

Tons of grading. Haven't started yet. New wave of family arrived last night :love:, so I'm not sure when I'll do it.

11. SuperFudge

SuperFudge Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

None....but I do go to school on Sundays to finish planning, grading, photocopying, etc.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

I just need to update my website & email my p with lesson plans

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2011

I didn't bring anything home with me, but I did go to up to school this afternoon. I got a lot accomplished, in fact it was everything on my list. I did bring home a little bit of work to do at home but it's nothing important and if I don't get to it then that's ok.

14. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 29, 2011

None. But I'm thinking of changing my lesson plan for Jan 3rd. I'm trying to teach division to my struggling students, and a friend of mine gave me a couple of ideas. I bought the picture book she suggested I read to the class. Monday I'm going to do some thinking and planning. But, not until Monday.

15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 29, 2011

I've got two sets of projects to grade and some plans to finalize. My biggie has been working with SMART notebook and some Mouse Mischief lessons.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2011

I had to bring home stacks of essays to score as it takes a lot of time to give proper feedback and complete the rubric. I would be more satisfied with my career if I didn't teach writing...

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 29, 2011

Each Friday, I bring home the students' writing journals. I read each entry and write a short comment. The kids really look forward to reading my comments. One weekend, I just put a star on each journal entry because I didn't have time to respond to each of them (I went on a weekend getaway). Anyway, on Monday morning, several kids said, "Hey...what happened to our comments, Mr. A??? You didn't write anything!"

18. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2011

I didn't bring anything home. Christmas break is the time I give myself to truly relax and be present for my family. Back to the grind next week.

With that being said, I did do a lot to get ahead before the break so that I am thoroughly prepped and planned a couple weeks out.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011

I was sick the week before break (not sick enough to try to make sub plans for one of those crazy days, but sick enough that I was going to bed early every night), and was working hard to stay caught up. I wanted to work on planning ahead of time, but didn't get a chance to. I need to work on that this afternoon. I had a little bit of grading to do, and that is all done and entered.

20. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 30, 2011

Brought home a tote bag full, but that does not necessarily mean I will be completing a tote bag full lol!:lol:

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I didn't bring anything home but I might go in on Monday and Tuesday when we get back is a teacher work day so I plan on doing lesson plans then.

22. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jan 1, 2012

Nothing! :D

I spent a couple hours planning for the Wed/Thurs/Fri when the kids come back- it's a review week, but I hadn't planned on doing that. It just happened when insomnia struck one night...

We have a planning day on Tuesday before the kids come back, but most of that will be spent getting report cards ready.

I decided ON PURPOSE not to bring anything home over break. Graded everything ahead of time, etc.

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 1, 2012

I brought home nothing! I had fully planned to stay late the last day before break and get all prepared for this week, but the printers weren't working. So my lesson plans are written and ready, but I wasn't able to really get the materials ready. I'd love to go in tomorrow (no school) for just a couple of hours in the afternoon to get some things done, but with no printer (I assume they won't fix this until school starts) there's really no point- I wouldn't be able to do at least half of what I wanted. I didn't even check my work e-mail until yesterday- I was pretty proud of myself for that one!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2012

Thankfully, absolutely none.

I have the first week back all planned.

I cleaned out my bag today, the first time I've touched it since the 22nd. Aside from packing a lunch, I'm all set for school on Tuesday.

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 1, 2012

I have a half day workday and I'll probably work through lunch and stay a little later so I didn't bring anything home.

Next weekend, I'll be back to bringing home papers.