How much will I spend/What should I buy?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 10, 2012

So, it will be my first REAL year teaching, and I was wondering what to expect on how much I'll be spending to stock/decorate my classroom.

It's completely empty right now, but there is glassware (for chemistry labs). Nothing on the walls, no art/writing supplies.

Also, what should I get in your opinion? I will wait to buy until the New-Hire Orientation to see what kind of budget I'll be getting to stock my classroom (if I have a budget).

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2012

Find out your budget now if you can...it can take a while to have the order paperwork processed and order to come in...

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

I agree with czacza... Ask how much your budget is. Maybe ask for the names of other science teachers in your school. I would try to contact one of them and find out what to purchase for the classroom.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

Congrats on your new job.
    [​IMG]
    This is a free resource I put together last year that you may find helpful.

Click to access and download The Ultimate Classroom Supplies Checklist

It is geared toward elementary, but there is plenty in there to give you ideas.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 10, 2012

Does your school order your lab supplies or are you going to be in charge of that?

7. Alen Jones

Alen Jones Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

Try to get posters or data which will be common for all grades. For example in your chemistry lab you can post about Precautions for lab, chemical nature and periodic table etc. In this way you can get what will be useful for all.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 11, 2012

I'd focus on organization like how you want to store items for that day's lessons, papers from the office, parent communication documentation, files, graded papers, ungraded papers, sub plans, and more.

Once you know how/where you want that set up, you can figure out of you need any special items.

9. RealThing

RealThing Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

I have just the thing!

ARGUS Posters are really good decorative items for an 8th grade classroom. They are motivational with positive messages. They promote character development, conflict resolution, diversity, and achievement.

Some examples are... "Choose your destination and the path will be revealed", "Ready. Set. Think.", Educationa is not received. It's Achieved!"

TREND, the publisher has a promotion going on right now, buy 2 get 1 free. You can go to www.teachers-exchange.com when you know your budget.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 11, 2012

These kinds (not brand) of posters are available at the Dollar Tree in 3/packs. 3 posters for $1. Others that are larger are in 2/packs for $1.

11. Blackberry_Girl

Blackberry_Girl Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

Tagging along rather than start a similar thread:
    How much do most of you spend out of your own pocket to decorate or get items that your school doesn't cover? What sorts of things do you find yourself buying out of pocket rather than ordering through school?