How much time is given to you to decide about a certain job offer? HELP :)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherJ4life, May 21, 2008.

1. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 21, 2008

I was just curious if you are offered a job, how much time can they give you or you can ask for? I've heard 24, 48 or 72 hours. What's the consensus on A to Z? Also, if you ask for time what do you say? Is it ok to say, I would like to discuss it with my family and I will get back to you in 24, 48 or 72 hours? Which one do you say?:help:

:thanks:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2008

Anywhere between 24-48 hours.

4. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 22, 2008

So you can ask or be told you have 24-48 hours to make up your mind? Interesting!
    :thanks:

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 22, 2008

When I was offered the contract that I ended up taking, I was in a sticky situation. I was student teaching with another district and had already had a preliminary interview with a confirmed follow up interview coming soon. I told the district that was offering the contract up front that "I am really interested in your district and it's definitely in my top two desirable districts. However, I'm currently student teaching with another district and I promised them that I would not sign with another district without interviewing with my ST district first and I feel honor bound to uphold my word. Would it be possible to postpone signing until after that interview?" They ended up giving me nine days, but because of various factors I ended up signing on the seventh day. I think you just have to ask for what you need and give them a valid reason and a reasonable response timetable. Especially if you work in a critical needs area. I was actually having this conversation with the head of human resources and he was very gracious and agreeable.

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 22, 2008

Ooh good question. I was speaking with two new teachers a couple of weeks ago who had both agreed to work with the county, and then were offered jobs with the city. So they both told the county they couldn't work there and signed contracts with the city instead.

I've only applied to one district but I'm wondering if I'll have multiple job offers within that district or if I'll only be asked to take one particular position. I'm sure I'll be just at tongue-tied when the time comes!

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 22, 2008

1-2 days is good. Don't want to keep them waiting too long :)

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 22, 2008

I agree, 24-48 hours.

9. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 22, 2008

Legally, in the provinces in which I have worked, they are required to give you a week. After that, once you agree to take the contract, you are free not to sign it if you have issues with the contract.