How Much Time Do You Spend "Working" on the Weekend?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CFClassroom, Feb 12, 2012.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

It seems like so many teachers spend Sunday as the "unofficial" plan day. Just curious how much time you spend and if it is by choice or necessity.

I do spend quite a bit of my time outside school working on school-related tasks, but teaching has always been (fortunately) a hobby as well as a career. How about you?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

I spend about an hour outside of school a night working on school related work. I'm just lucky that I can do this after my little one goes to sleep.

I probably spend a good 3-4 hours working on the weekend, but my little one still takes about a 3 hour nap. So again, it doesn't have to interfere with my time with my daughter.

Once she starts staying up later or not napping, I'll have to find ways to get more done at school or over the summer. Thankfully, I don't have to make that decision right now.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2012

I spend more time on it than I would need to if I could just buckle down and do it straight through, but I am always on the computer (checking A-Z and browsing for new ideas) or getting distracted by another project. Without a plan time during the day, however, it is a necessity to spend some time on the weekend planning and grading.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 12, 2012

I spend several hours working on Sunday. I could theoretically do this all during the week and have a free weekend, but personally I prefer to have a couple of hours of free time each night during the week than to work 14 hours a day M-F and then do no school work on the weekends. School ends at 4, I try to leave by 5. I usually spend about an hour doing school work on weeknights once I get home. Sunday is just my "work day" in general- I plan and do school stuff, do laundry, clean, plan menus for the week, and grocery shop.

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 12, 2012

Yesterday I spent from 8:30 to about 1:00 doing work. I dont do this every weekend.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2012

I don't work on school related things (well, you will find me here or looking up articles on education) after 3:30, when I leave school (I tutor for an hour after school almost everyday), but I do spend about 2-4 hours on Sunday planning for the week. It's my survival method.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2012

That is my Sunday schedule too, pretty much! :)

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

I spend a good amount of time on the weekends and at night. I tend to make my teaching my hobby as well. Or at least most of my hobbies tie into teaching. I think it's simply something that has to be done. I tend to try and get a good bit done on Friday night but Sunday afternoon is usually when I finish up.

10. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Feb 12, 2012

I TRY not to do work outside of the school day at all. It's just not worth it. The administration just makes all of our effort meaningless anyway by passing kids that have mathematically failed.

:dunno:

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 12, 2012

I spend an hour or two most nights grading papers, etc. My co-worker and I spend about 3 hours on Thursday nigth planning and copying for next week. Then, I spend some time on the weekend finding activities, etc. I choose to spend the time, so I don't resent it.

12. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Feb 12, 2012

I try to avoid working on the weekend unless there's something major to be completed. When I do work on the weekend I make sure I don't get distracted though. :lol: I just get it done and enjoy the weekend.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2012

I typically spend about 6 hours on the weekends grading and typing up my plans... in addition to about two hours of work every night when I get home.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2012

Wow, 2 hours? I guess because you're a language arts teacher. Eeek, that sure is a lot of time though! :eek:

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

I do a lot of my grading in school.

This weekend, I've spent no time at all on schoolwork. I'll need about 5 minutes between now and tomorrow to get my stuff together.

I do spend a little time over the summer prepping for the year. And on any given weekend I may have to make up a test, put together a worksheet, or prep or grade a major exam.

Not this weekend though :)

16. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Feb 12, 2012

I do my planning on Saturdays usually--I like to go into school when no one else is there and plan and make all my copies for the upcoming week. It takes about 2 hours or so but then I don't have to fight for the copier during the week.

Also, I usually come in about an hour early and leave an hour later than what we are required. I do all my grading, etc then so that once I leave, my evenings are free to spend with my husband and kids :)

17. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 12, 2012

My weekends are mine and my family's. The exception is if I have report cards to finish. I prefer doing them at home where I can stop and do odds and ends in the house if need be. I do no planning at home. On school nights I do mark the students' folders (it takes me about 45 minutes).

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2012

That, and there was a shift two years ago - they took away planning and gave us another class, then turned what had been duty hours into a 40 minute planning. I don't have time to do much besides sign in and set up in the mornings. Every teacher in my school is in the same boat with time.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

I'm in my second year at a new grade level, but my 15th year teaching. I do some checking of papers during the week, a very little bit on the weekend, but not much.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 12, 2012

For those who say they check papers at school, do you check them while kids are in the room? We aren't allowed to, unless it's a test that we want immediate feedback on. Just curious what it's like other places on that.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2012

We don't have a real policy. I can't really check with the kids unless we are checking together (they grade their spelling and math tests), otherwise I grade during my prep periods.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 12, 2012

For me it varies. I try to do very little at home, but when I get behind, then it needs to go home with me. This week I only had 2 preps out of 4. So, my grading didn't get done. It's almost done. Just need to do my newsletter & email my P my plans.

23. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Feb 13, 2012

I spent about 7 hours today, but I didn't work at all Saturday or Friday evening and I'm a little behind from missing a couple days this grading period.

24. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Feb 13, 2012

Hmm.. I'm honestly not sure. As far as paperwork goes, normally none at all, since I am able to finish most of that during work.

Sometimes I might brainstorm and research different games or methods I could try in order to help a student. But that is only if I am truly stumped and need to dedicate a few hours to a case.

25. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 13, 2012

Usually I'll spend about 3-4 hours on the weekend planning and grading. Unless I have essays turned in recently... then I have MUCH more than that (10+ hours, easily). Those are the weekends I prefer to shoot myself, as I hate grading essays, but assign them anyway because I'm a glutton for punishment and want my students to improve their writing abilities.

26. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 13, 2012

Four or five hours on Saturday, mostly correcting. Three or so on Sunday, mostly planning. I go into school both days: I get so much done there.