How much time do you devote to math and literacy?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by terptoteacher, Oct 6, 2013.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2013

How much time do you have for math? For literacy? On paper, I have 90 minutes for math and 85 for literacy. This includes 30 minutes of team wide leveled "walk to read/math" groups. But in reality with transition to and from recess and specials and leveled groups, I have about 50 for math and 45 for reading. I hate these leveled groups! I feel like a first year teacher just barely keeping my head above water! I'm exhausted, my kids' behaviors are, while not out of control, they're not what they should be. We have pacing guides that we must follow because of the leveled groups. If we don't teach the day's lesson, the leveled group teacher's plans will be messed up.
    I want to know from y'all how much actual time you have devoted to whole group core reading and math instruction.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 6, 2013

Officially, I have 64 minutes for math, 85 for language arts, and 30 minutes of intervention time to use how I want. Because I teach GT kids... and because my curriculum requires me cram two years of math into one... I primarily use that 30 minutes of intervention time as extra math.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2013

Officially I have 70 mins for math, 50 mins for reading, and 60 mins for writing. We also have an extra 30 mins in our schedule for an enrichment/reinforcement block and we alternate weeks of math and literacy with that.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 6, 2013

I have a 90 minute ELA block, a 30 minute RTI block everyday, a 60 minute Listening/speaking domain everyday (part of the common core in NY) and a 60 minute math period. There isn't much time for anything else.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 6, 2013

It varies, depending on the grade level, but the 2nd grade requirements in my district are 75 minutes for math, and 120 minutes for literacy.

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Oct 6, 2013

At my school 2nd grade has an hour for math and 90 minutes for literacy written in the schedule. However, we can run over time devoted for these two subjects based on the need of our students and what we're learning.
    I teach math in the morning after announcements. After collecting any notes, checking behavior sheets, calendar, etc. the time passes by so quickly. Science sometimes takes a backseat in the morning. The same thing can happen in the afternoon with social studies.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 6, 2013

I'm in middle school, so technically I have an hour for each subject. But reading is first period school-wide and they never make it to me on time. It's very irritating!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2013

100 minutes for literacy (all 4 strands) and, most days, 80 minutes for math. I integrate subjects as much as possible, so end up covering literacy expectations in science, history and geography as well.

10. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Oct 7, 2013

My ELA block is 120 minutes. 60 minutes reading, 30 minutes RTI and reading centers, and 30 minutes writing.

My team teacher has 90 minutes for math.