How much time are you given to learn a new curriculum before implementing it?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 6, 2013

We're usually given new curriculum during our in-service week, which is a pain because half the day is lost to (mostly pointless), procedural meetings, and the other half we're trying to unpack, decorate and organize our classrooms; plus we receive 'round the clock deliveries of materials from the reading, math, science and social studies resource room that has to be unpacked, inventoried and put away. :dizzy: Not to mention administrative stuff.

I received an email a few days ago saying we would be getting a new RELA curriculum and I was excited because it also stated they'd upload it to the system by last Friday. It's now Tuesday and they STILL haven't. :eek:

So instead of being able to familiarize and digest the new material THIS WEEK when things aren't hectic and I can do it at my leisure, I have to wait until next week when they'll be insane.

Is it like that in your schools/counties?

EDIT: We have also received new curriculum in the middle of the year and been told to implement it starting the following week.

3. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

Last year I was a new teacher at my school. They didn't even have my teacher's manuals completely ordered until after school started and we only had 2 inservice days before the students started. Needless to say, as a new teacher I felt very overwhelmed.

This year, they decided to give us 4 days of inservice, so that's a step up! They also completely changed our standards to Common Core and are revamping our curriculum to match it. We start in a week and a half and I haven't gotten any more information in regards to this. :(

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2013

We usually have an option of getting our new curriculum materials either the week school ends or sometime over the summer (depending on when the materials come in). However, many teachers do wait until the beginning of the school year because my district only offers 1-2 days to pick up your materials and they do not want to give up their summer.

We have gotten materials in the middle of the year and been told to begin implementing them or not gotten resources until the first week or few weeks of school and been expected to use them right away.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 6, 2013

If we are lucky, we might get a half-day training. However, we haven't been given a new curriculum at all with the change to Common Core. We implemented CCSS in literacy and math last year, and while we had some training in what the standards were, it was up to us to find materials to teach it.

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 6, 2013

I really like this option. As long as I was not planning to leave for vacation the day after school ends, I would suck it up, grab my Starbucks and hustle down to the district to get my materials.

I'm not the type of teacher that spends her whole summer reading and researching, but the week before in-service I do find myself a little antsy and feeling like the more familiar I am with a curriculum, the less stressful my year will be. :thumb:

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 6, 2013

Considering we were told late last week that the state moved up Common Core implementation to this school year, apparently about a week. I'm now having to redo all of my planning I had done so far. They say they will train us on it eventually, but to do the best we can until then.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 6, 2013

"Do the best you can?" Yikes! I'm getting more on board with all this Common Core stuff, but this whole transition has been so choppy. When I see the end result of what they want the children to learn I'm all in favor. But the problem we're having here is that the people who are supposed to be teaching us about implementing Common Core have a hard time explaining and showing us what it looks like. I feel like they'll say, "Common core is less busy work and memorizing facts and more interaction and discussion." But when we ask for help on bringing that into K and !st, they seem to stumble a bit and say, "It can be done".

And...it looks like I hijacked my own thread. :eek:

Anyhow, I feel your pain on redoing planning! Our RELA curriculum is supposed to be redone to meet Common Core standards and I've heard rumors some of it will look the same, so there IS hope that some of my old strategy posters and activities won't have to be thrown out.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2013

We don't use packaged curriculum. We are standards driven and are given freedom and choice in what resources to use implementing instruction around those standards. When new standards are written (teacher committees write curriculum based on state standards, including CCSS), we have a day at our training center with other consortium towns to review the standards, brainstorm ideas, share materials and lesson ideas...this usually occurs in the spring before the new school year when stds will be implemented. Plus new PD workshops are designed around new stds.

10. Meggmv

Meggmv Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

My school is very loose with curriculum as we just have to hit the targeted standards but we are free to do whatever we want. While that freedom sounds nice in theory, it's very complicated when you don't have access to resources. Can anyone help me with grade 3
    Science?

11. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 7, 2013

This is exactly the problem in my district. We are adopting CCSS this school year but the state isn't adopting new curriculum until 2015. Lovely! Out old curriculum partially lines up, but it is pretty much drill and kill/memorize the rule. We have PD scheduled throughout this coming school year to help us with resources, but other than that we're on our own to implement the new standards. My district doesn't even have a pacing guide for us to follow. I can feel myself burning out already! :p