How much stuff does your school buy?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by watermelon0719, Mar 19, 2006.

1. watermelon0719

watermelon0719 Rookie

Mar 19, 2006

My boss told me that I just needed to make a supply list of things I needed and she would buy them for my classroom. Well, I was thinking about some things I would love to have like certain games, soft pillows for quiet time, etc. and was wondering how much I should expect her to cover. Do you ladies have to sometimes spend money out of pocket to get things you want for your classroom? Thanks for any words of wisdom you might have on the subject - you've all been wonderful so far! :)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 20, 2006

I buy everything above the $100 a year they give us. However, they do supply paper, various desk supplies, and .... not much else.

4. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 20, 2006

With us, it depends on who you are... The full-day class next door to us gets new things every week it seems like, but when we ask, they mysteriously don't have the money for it... And we're the only classroom that does everything that is supposedly mandatory... I could start a whole thread on my lovely support staff. ugh.

5. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Mar 20, 2006

Almost everything in my classroom are my personal belongings. My school is having some money issues and have not given out money to buy supplies for the classrooms. Last year though one of our committees did give us $200 to buy supplies which was great and very appreciated but it really didn't go very far.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 20, 2006

Here is a list of things you might want to consider. www.buddyproject.org/backpack/info.asp?id=115 www.kizclub.com Couple more good sites for ideas. List of things to have in your room have you thought of: yard stick, ruler, lots of extra pencils, lots of stickers, whistle so you don’t have to yell at recess, a must --bar stool to rest your feet, great to even lean up against or captain’s chair it has a back, but cost more, rubber bands, safety pins, sewing kit –needle and variety of color spools of thread –a dollar at dollar store in a small plastic box, clear finger nail polish to repair runs in hose, 3 hole punch, single hole punch, stapler, a couple big boxes of Kleenex, paper towels, sticky notes, a bunch of extra pencils, (short pencils with no erasers work great (students don’t want to borrow them and for some reason don’t break their lead and remember to sharpen their pencils before class), magic markers with grey included several boxes, good gel pen for grading papers and writing notes, I like my pink, zip lock bags –large and small, masking tape, scotch tape and heavy dispenser, deodorant, brush or comb for yourself, clear finger nail polish for quick fix hose runs, nail file for broken nails, large paper clip for your use so much better than the small ones, disinfectant (clean desk tops, pencils and door knobs –keep your room as germ free as possible, big scissors to fit your hand, erasers for top of pencils boom box, tape recorder, CD something to play music and etc on. digital timer, Glue: buy one small glue bottle for each student, than when bottle gets used, refill from your big bottle, which is cheaper, buy during beginning of school sales. Little bottles work better with little hands. Glue sticks are best. But cost more. Calendar, camera, dictionary – thesaurus, extension cord and adapter. Slide-grader. Go to garage sales, flea markets, Good Will, Salvation Army and thrift shops and buy books for in your room. If there is a box ask how much for the whole box usually cheaper. Tell them it is for a classroom, usually give you a discount. Buy a stamp pad and stamp “Property of your name” stamp on first page and along the edge if possible and several other places. Need book shelves. Buy used book shelf size of your file cabinet, butt it up against one side of the cabinet and use other side for a magnet board center.
    File folders –one for each student, keep all notes to and from home, note late papers, lose of recess one minute or two because of behavior problems and etc. Information Sheet. Student’s full name. What student will be called in the classroom, address, phone number, father’s name, address, phone number, mother’s name, address, phone number, emergency phone number, allergies, food and etc. And any other information that I might like to know about your child. A can of play dough for each student for the first day. Students go to their desk and start working with the play dough, while you are greeting more students, makes your room busy and under control from the first moment of arrival, no running around. Stamp pad and stamp with your name on it. Mark everything that you buy. Mark books back and along the edge. Library books for your room --get at garage sales, thrift shops, Goodwill and ask parents at parent night when they clean out their children’s rooms you’d love to have their extra books. You will mark donated by: Your room will look more educational with books on the shelves. Computer, and software for little ones. Toys and things for your centers. A circle rug. an opening board doll to dress for the weather. I'd put down everything. List first to least. Here is an excellent web page, you might want to check out for more ideas. http://www.kinderkorner.com/chklist.html

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2006

My school buys everything...but I'm the owner...lol! I keep a budget though, when I can. I tend to go overboard because I'm such a horrible impulse shopper.

I would make a full list of everything you'd like, need, and want. Tell her that you made the list without any boundaries and if she'd like you to narrow down to certain things that you will do that.

Even when I wasn't my own boss, I did buy a lot of things out of my own pocket because if I left, then I could take it with me. I would never buys large items like furniture and such, but toys, teaching materials/books, and other small things I would.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 20, 2006

I am really into using re-cycled items. I have set up at least two programs from thrift store purchases. The best job I had was when I was director of a child care program for an agency that had 8 thrift stores. Before the child care opened, the thrift stores began saving supplies, equipment and toys for us.

It does take time, but consider these stores for almost anything. I have bought children's furniture, craft supplies, dress up clothes, office supplies.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 20, 2006

Our school gives each classroom $500 each year. This is our first year with a preschool, but they get the same amount too. This is above the furniture that is in the classroom

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2006

Our daycare/Preschool supplies everything. We do not lack anything, ever. We can ask for things and if it is something reasonable, they will get it. The supply room is full of construction paper, paints of every kind and color, nice brushes, literally tons of paper of every kind, even large rolls of paper, buttons, glue, glitter, Popsicle sticks of all sizes, cotton, felt in every color, ribbon and lace, yarn of every color and thickness, clothes pins, tissue paper in many colors, stencils, sponge shapes for painting, beads, material for collages, old magazines for cutting, etc, etc... We are given 15.00/month for little extras we want for crafts and art...or cooking projects. They also supply film/developing and cameras. Those are some of the main things that are available where I work. I spend very, very little on supplies.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2006

At my last director's job I gave each classroom $5 a week to spend on anything they wanted as well.

12. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Mar 21, 2006

Grammy where do you work? LOL

Wow Grammy sounds like the perfect preschool to work at. We also have pretty much what we need on hand. If not we ask for it, but since the Head Start program is so big here we move sites every year. So what we request goes to the new teacher in that classroom. I also buy alot out of pocket and make alot. I know on your taxes you can claim up to 200.00 every year but I am sure you all knew that. If it was me I would list the things you would really like for your classroom. Like the pillow you could make or pick up maybe at ayard sale easy and cheap. But a pocket alphabet board you could not . So I would list it. You may even ask parents. Make a list of common household things you may want or need. They might just have it laying around the house and our willing to donate it to their childs class. Approve this through your director first though.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 22, 2006

My mentor last year suggested buying things you know you would use up. If you leave the district, whatever the district bought stays. Things you know you'll want to keep (books, manipulatives, etc...) you buy yourself. Now, you're not required to. It was just a suggestion. I have bought every single one of my books in my library (for those of you that know me, that's a lot of books).

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2006

Me, too, Miss W. In fact, last Friday, the kids were asking me about that. They were in awe that I all the books belonged to me.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 22, 2006

Well, then I can always get them with the "I bought these books with my own money for you to read" speech. It usually gets them to take extra special care of them.

16. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 28, 2006

I would just put EVERYTHING you want on a list! They will get as much as they can and then you could probably get the rest next year :)

Its better than getting less than you can. My aunt got a job at a school where nobody was designated as that person (who orders stuff for the school) so hundreds of dollars was going unused every year! As soon as she got there she opened up the catalog and just basically bought everything in it and distributed it among the classes!