How much should I tip on a $38 haircut?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2008

I'm clueless. Normally, I go to this one girl who charges $17 and I would tip $3. She hasn't been very good the last few times I went to her so I'm going to a more "hip, stylish" salon. They charge $38 and I really don't know how much would be a good tip. :confused:

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 27, 2008

I'd say around $7-$8.

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 27, 2008

I agree, about $7-8 dollars, especially if you plan to go back.

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 27, 2008

I'm not good with tips. I tip my hairstylist $10-15 each time and she charges me $30...but we know her personally and she gives me a little discount. So I feel as though I owe her a bigger tip.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 27, 2008

Wow! I only pay 10 on a 55 haircut.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 27, 2008

I usually add on 10 bucks.

I don't tip if I buy products from them ... that's okay, right? Not sure where I heard that was appropriate.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2008

I don't see anything wrong w/ $3-5.

(I tried out a new hairstylist last week. Most stylists charge $165 to do my hair: Highlights touch-up, blow dry, flat iron, & trim, but this new lady charged me $110. I gave her a $5 tip. The cost itself was enough.)

9. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

I always tip 20%, so 8.00. Occasionally I have tipped more if it was extraordinary.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 27, 2008

If I could afford a $38 haircut I could afford to tip, but since I can barely afford my $12 cut/$15 if she cut my daughter's bangs while I'm there, I don't tip. Call me cheap. Thank goodness I live in a rural area. I'd be scraggly if I had to get a hair cut elsewhere.

11. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

i would give about $8.

I normally do 20%.
    When i get just a haircut/style she charges me 45 and i leave her 9 for tip. when i get partial highlights and cut/style she charges me 125 and i leave between 20-25 for tip.

12. coffee crazy

coffee crazy Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

I do 15%...I don't know where I came up with that. Maybe from eating out?? Am I cheap??
    :eek:

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2008

GAH! Well, I didn't have time to read this before I left... I left a $6 tip. Oh well, I do plan to go back to this new guy. He actually listened to me and understood what I wanted. So, I'll leave more next time.

14. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 27, 2008

I tip about $5 and I know that's not enough, but I just can't swallow any more after a $50 haircut!!

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 27, 2008

Peachy- You didn't say...what cut did you get and how did it turn out?

16. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Aug 27, 2008

I would say $8-10 is appropriate. Certainly not less than $5.

And on the products thing, I would still tip. The tip goes directly to the stylist who typically pays rent for the chair/station she uses in the salon, whereas product profit goes to the salon owner.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2008

I got an A line bob that's just above my shoulders. I think it'll look cuter when I wash all of the gook out of it. :D Otherwise, it must look good because whenever I come home with a haircut, my hubby usually doesn't like it. Today, he said that it looked cute, so I guess that's good. Poor hairdresser... I told him how I never get a cut that I like... when he was done, he kept saying to be honest and tell him if I liked it or not and that I can come in anytime to get it fixed up if I didn't like it later... he was so sweet. I will stick with him for a while. :)

18. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

I always tip 20% no matter what.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 29, 2008

Wow, what a difference a little geography makes. My stylist charges $10 for a haircut-that's up from last year's $8. And she doesn't give $10-looking haircuts either, she's really good. It's just how much the market charges in this area. So I get an arch and haircut for $15, and leave her $20. I'm probably cheap, but it's handy.

20. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

5 on 15 is good

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

I would never pay $38-$50 for a haircut!

She charges me $14 and I give her $3 tip.
    She just cuts and drys within 20 minutes.
    I go every 4 weeks.
    At X-mas I pay double as a gift.

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

My haircut & blowdry cost exactly $37.00.
    My stylist does a beautiful job; I have been to her 3 times now and each time I left a $5 tip.

After reading everyone else's answers, I'm wondering if I'm cheap? Not to make myself feel better...but I have noticed that when men and their boys get their $7 haircuts; they don't leave a tip. I noticed this when my daughter was getting her hair styled a few years ago...I sat in the waiting room for about 2 hours and observed every single one of those men....absolutely no tip; just cash on their cut and if they got change back, they didn't give the stylist any $$. ok; this leads me to wonder...just how much does the hairstylist receive from haircuts, styles, perms???? I know she receives a percentage, but how much??

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 29, 2008

I believe the etiquette is between 15 to 20% depending on how complicated the cut it, if they wash, dry, and if you plan on going back tip on the higher side.

24. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

Geez...reading all of thise makes me thank god that the woman I go to is my BF's aunt and considers me family! She always tells me to pay "whatever"....I make her give me a number and it's always a big discount....She refuses tips but I write her a check just so that I know she gets it! Since she owns her place and it's just her working...it all goes to her.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2008

From ehow.com:
    Tip the stylist 10 to 15 percent of your total bill if he or she is the only person who worked on your hair.
    Give the shampoo person - if there is one - a separate gratuity. Typically, a shampoo person receives $1 to $2.
    Offer a 10 percent tip in a barbershop. If you don't get your hair cut very often but usually go to the same shop, consider a $5 tip.
    Tip the manicurist $1 to $3.
    Keep in mind that a good tip to your colorist or hairstylist might help the next color job or cut.

26. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

Haircuts are free...... sort of... (It usually costs me a night out on the town.....)

My fantastic wife has been cutting my hair for many years. (Hair style is very similar to Brett Favre's) ........ :lol::lol:

Major...:):):)

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 29, 2008

My hair takes the hairstylist about 4 hrs to do. I get a highlights touch-up, blowdry, flat iron, & usually a trim. My hair is practically at my waist, but it's not that thick anymore like it used to be. I only get it done every 4-5 mos.

I finally stopped going to the stylist I had been going to for several yrs because she NEVER gave me any kind of disc. You'd think she'd do something for me being a loyal cust. Also, I realize prices w/ everything get higher, but towards the end, she went way up w/o any explanation. I did not want to start getting charged $180 ever again!

I tried a couple of new stylists & I like the last one I went to & she only charged $110, which is a miracle for me.

28. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 30, 2008

Then why don't they just charge what it is worth (difficulty and such) and not worry about tip? If they charge $38 but are hoping for a $5+ tip, then why not charge $43+ and call it even?

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 30, 2008

The tip is theirs to keep. If it was included, the salon owner would get part of the tip.

I tip 15% the first time I go. Once I choose to stay with a stylist, I try to give between 15-20%. She works on my hair for 2 and 1/2 hours at the least, for cut, color, highlights, blowdry, flatiron, which runs around $100.00. Sometimes if money is tight, I leave a little less than I would like to, but my husband and mother have both worked hard in professions where tips are customary and they come to depend on the tips as income.

While I was traveling last week, I went to a salon having a special, one price for a massage, facial, and pedicure. So 3 people worked on me for about 2 hours! I had no clue how to tip them, so when I paid I just asked the receptionist to calculate 20% for each of them and divide it up accordingly. They were very appreciative - the total tip for the three was 16.00. My husband and I have an agreement - when you've got the money, be as generous as possible. If things are tight, make it up later when things aren't so tight.

30. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 30, 2008

See, that is why I teach and not have a job with tips. I need the consistent income and can't stand not knowing if I will get more this day or end up with less that day.

31. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 30, 2008

I'm with you.

My mom was a waitress for many years. All the waitresses had their own "tip jar" under the counter. Talk about an honor code! A typical tip was .10! A great tip was .25. She would bring her tip jar home every so often, we would each get a quarter which would take us to a double feature at the movies, plus popcorn and candy! Ah, the olden days. But the rest of the tip money was used to buy her a candy bar each week and milk for all of us!

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2008

The funny part is this is the first salon I've ever been to that offered discounts and I was very surprised and it does make a difference in how I feel about them.

33. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 31, 2008

I've done the table waiting, too. I had a guy that would bring his family in, I'd make sure their drinks stayed full, check on them regularly and he NEVER left anything no matter how I hard I tried to do extra.

But see, MOST people know to tip waitresses/waiters but most may not know about tipping hairdressers/stylists.

34. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 31, 2008

LOL I never saw a $14 hair cut where I live. A regular salon will start around $35 and a fancy one starts at maybe $90.

Cut, highlights and style is easily over $100. On a $38 haircut I would probably round to $45. I try to avoid buying product at salons. I always end up saying something about my hair and then they grab on to that and find just the right "treatment" for me. :(

35. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

This thread just reminded me that I need to get a haircut VERY soon. I've waited far too long this time. I usually go once every 5 months or so, haha. I think I've waited about 7 months this time! Eeek. My hair is just long...and it doesn't really get all split end-y. hehe. So I feel like I don't need to go that often.

36. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

My daughter is going to school fulltime and working as a waitress; she is a great waitress too. Sometimes, she is very disappointed and/or upset that a few don't leave a tip. I constantly remind her that not everyone knows about tipping or feels the need to tip...you shouldn't be in this profession (bad attitude) if you can't make it. Yes, some people feel that they shouldn't have to supplement a waitress's income. They already pay way too much on their meal.

37. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 6, 2008

If I can at the time afford to I pay $5 tip on a 28 dollar cut! My hairdresser knows I am in school and can not afford to tip her always. She gets a set hourly rate anyway whether she has 2 clients or 20 all day.(I don't find that fair at all, but its her chose.)

38. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 6, 2008

I don't think the shampoo person should get a tip since I don't agree with them having a sampoo person. I think if a hair dresser can't wash my hair she prob can't cut it either so I would not go to her. I have only seen a shampoo girl once. The hair dresser I went to at the time had one(not her choice her whole salon used her). She always gave me a choice if I wanted her or shampoo girl. I always said I wanted her to do it except once when I was trying to be nice to shampoo girl never again did I do that lol. Shampoo girl had LOOOONG fake finger nails that dug in my head and hurt me bad! My hairdresser was a good friend of ours and would give me a little masage lol.