How much should I expect...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by trayums, Dec 18, 2005.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2005

Hi all,
    Just wondered if some of you experienced pro teacher can tell me how much I can really expect to TEACH this week before our Holiday break? I know the kids are going to be off the wall...
    What do you do for weeks like this? Do you keep all normalcy???
    Just wondered,....
    THANKS SO MUCH

3. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 18, 2005

Kids will get as hyped as you allow. If you stick to your routine as much as possible they will stay calmer. Some things will be out of your hands, like school wide programs or field trips. We are going to see a play on Tuesday and we have an author visiting the school on Wednesday. That will alter my plans a little but mostly I will stay on schedule. Thursday is our last day. That is the day I expect to be chaotic. Otherwise we do all our lessons between the whole school events. That is the way it works best for me. Hope it helps.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

We didn't do too much, to be honest. We had several holiday themed math worksheets that were valuable for review. We did one craft per day. I read about the origins of traditions, finished holiday stories. We had to practice for our program two periods. I tried to keep it relaxed and it really was fun.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2005

Daisy, I'm jealous you are done and on vacation!!! I have four more days!!!!!! I want to be on vacation now.......I'm ready for it!!!

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2005

I have four and three quarters days left!!! :( 1:15 Friday! Ridiculous huh????? Thanks for the answers... very helpful!

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

I finished up last Friday at 11:30. That was the only day that we took off. I kept everything else the same for the rest of the week, for two reasons. First, we were finishing units in English, social studies, and science. I wanted to finish all of them before the holidays. Secondly, keeping a regular schedule helps the kids stay more in line. We took time for fun things, but the school work came first. Good luck!!!

8. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Dec 18, 2005

We have 1 1/2 days left and the kids were CRAZY last week. I don't expect to get anything done! :)

9. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Dec 18, 2005

Let's see... tomorrow we are finishing our Christmas craft for our parent gifts. Tuesday will be math and spelling lesson -- Christmas themed, of course. Wednesday will probably be finishing our Christmas themed package and a small Christmas party. Thursday is our field trip to the miniature village. Friday is Mass and movie day. Then it's holiday time.:)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

I wish I could enjoy my time off, kinderkids, but my mother is in excruciating pain. We took her to the ER tonight thinking she had fractured her spine again. They said it is just her osteoporosis and all she can do is increase her pain meds (which are now not working at all). I feel so bad for her.

11. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Dec 19, 2005

Honestly, the past couple of days, my class hasn't been doing much either. We still do our calendar routine and journals, but most of the rest of the time is being taken up with practicing for our winter performance and having center time because it's the only work they can concentrate on right now. I only have two more days to go, and one of those is just the performance. Yay!