how much should i charge for tutoring?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HufflePuff, Apr 30, 2010.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

What is the going rate? A parent asked me to tutor her child...a coworker of mine said 60 dollars an hour.

Thoughts?

3. Aodhlaidir

Aodhlaidir New Member

Apr 30, 2010

I think $60 is too much. I normally do it for $20 to $40. Unless you totally hate working with the child, I would say you should go closer to $20.

4. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

Most of the Tutors at my old school made 25-30.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 30, 2010

When I tutor in the summer, I charge $25/hour. I think $60/hour is far too much.

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 30, 2010

I'm tutoring for the first time myself. I'm friends with the mom and we agreed $25/hour was a fair price.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 30, 2010

At my school a parent pays $50

8. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

You'd be lucky to get $5/hour for tutoring here, since all of the schools off free tutoring after school until 5:30.

I could only see getting $60 an hour in a very wealthy district where you were expected to signficantly improve the students grades in a very short period of time

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2010

Huffle Puff- go with the going rate in your area. You reallly can't compare what goes in Iowa with NJ...I am also in NJ and get $70 per hour to tutor. According to other posts here, that's too much but around here, high school students with no teaching experience get $10 per hour for baby sitting and $15-$20 per hour for homework help. House cleaners get about $100 to clean a medium sized house... You are a PROFESSIONAL EDUCATOR. You are worth the going rate. Don't sell yourself short. If your colleague says the going rate is $60 per hour, ask for that.

So do you charge more for kids you 'hate'? I personally don't know of any children I 'hate':confused: I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around your statement at all... Maybe you should reconsider tutoring/teaching.

Tutoring is a personal service provided by highly educated professionals. Professional tutors assess student needs, tailor instruction to help them with their difficulties, create materials, bring specific resources to the lesson in an effort to specifically facilitate learning for each student. Professionals should get paid professional wages- in our area (NJ), the going rate is considerably different than it may be in other areas.

10. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

May 1, 2010

I charge $35 per hour for private tutoring. Occasionally I will take on small groups of students for tutoring (IF they have similar needs that would enable me to use the same activity to tutor 2-3 students at a time) and if that is the case, I will offer the parents a discounted rate of $15-20 per hour since they are agreeing to have their children tutored in a small group setting. that way I still make a reasonable amount but I am offering a discount for parents who agree to 1:2 or 1:3 rather than 1:1 tutoring services.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2010

It's evident the 'going rate' varies widely by geographical region. Huffle and I are in generally the same area of NJ- the rate her colleague quoted is 'in the ballpark' for our county.

12. lemons11

lemons11 Rookie

May 1, 2010

I charge $25 an hour. $60 is too much I think...I know I couldn't afford that.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2010

You may think what you want about the 'going rate' in any area. This isn't a matter of what is 'too much'...it's all relative to the market... In Northern NJ, where the OP is located (and I as well), private tutoring by a professional educator runs about $60 per hour...It may seem like a lot of money to someone located elsewhere, but as I said, high school students in our area make $15-$20 per hour providing 'homework help'.

I charge $70 per hour and work about 6 hours per week at that rate. At $25 per hour, I'd have to work 16.8 tutoring hours to make the same amount of money.

By the way, lemons, the website listed in your post is a BUSINESS- don't know if it's yours but it is against forum policies to promote your business without permission from the site owner.

14. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

May 1, 2010

wow! 6 hours per week? how'd you get so many clients??? this is actually the first tutoring request i've had (granted I am a fairly new teacher).

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2010

Word of mouth...It takes some time to build up a 'client base' but once you have one family it seems that they tell their friends, etc...

I was actually working up to about 10 hours per week but one of my families for whom I tutored 2 kids is going through some family issues and I only tutor them occasionally now. It slows down DRAMATICALLY during the summer but I've managed to sock away most of my tutoring money for the summer. Nice! :thumb:

16. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 1, 2010

Teaching student like me: 10 dollars
    Liceanced teacher :15 dollars
    Master level teacher: 20 dollars
    Ph D: 40 dollars

Seeing the look on a particular parents face when I told her she could have taught this to her kid instead of drinking corona and watching WWE: Priceless.

Never did get called back, feel bad for the kid but he was smart and he did succeed.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 1, 2010

CzaCza is absolutely correct. What's "too much" varies greatly by market. While I was still in Miami, I was charging $90/hour and was getting ready to hike my rates again because I had too many students. Of course, I tutored mathematics/statistics for high school and college students, which generally fetches a higher rate than other subjects/ages.

If the OP's colleague, and CzaCza, who are both in the same area as the OP say $60/hour is about right, then it's about right.

18. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

May 1, 2010

I'm not that far away from you guys either( NYC) and charged 80 dollars an hour earlier this year when I was tutoring( the student out grew my expertise and no longer needed a tutor, the ultimate catch 22 when tutoring)

Another teacher at my school gave me, what I considered, good advice when setting the cost for your time. His advice was, You want to charge enough so it is worth your time but not too much that the students parents expect you to fix everything.

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 1, 2010

I agree and that is why I didn't make a comment about the $60 rate. Yes, it sounds high to me, but I live in a very rural area of NC. If I asked that amount, I think the parents would definitely be expecting me to be a miracle worker and make Little Johnny a straight "A" student. For MY area, I think $25-$30/hour is about right.

For NJ and NY, however, I can definitely see tutors making $60-$70+/hour. It's just whatever the market will bear.

20. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

May 2, 2010

I'm in IL and I charge $40/hour. However, in some parts of IL some charge $50/hour.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2010

At least the parent cared enough to investigate tutoring for their child. Some parents don't have the time, inclination, or know-how to work with their own kids...Sometimes they have all of the above but the dynamics don't work. I've tutored families where the parents are hard working and don't have time, in homes where I'm a 'respite' in the midst of turmoil, for families that have a lot of money and figure having extra help for their kids gives them the 'edge', for families who sacrifice so their child can have some extra help... judging a family's dynamic or the parents' entertainment choices isn't going to get you a lot of clients, Chalk. I'm sure that there are other teachers who are willing to work with the kids whose families you disapprove of. :2cents:

22. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 2, 2010

Ya I probably should give a bit more background on this case since it makes me sound a bit "holier then thee".

This parent (Mom) did not contact me his father did. The mother had a degree in biology and commented multiple times on how she was very good with math. She did not work, her high priced lawyer of a husband made the dough ( nice guy in spite of his career). She was arrogant and lorded the fact that they had money over me the entire time. The boy didn't just believe his mom didn't care much about him, he "knew" it and was often depressed. I tutored him in math, talked with his dad and tried to be a friend and an adult who cared. During the last session she started in again, first with how "easy" this math is and how she just didn't understand why it was taking so long for the boy to understand it (sipping from a corona). I had enough of the snide comments, the unwarranted disdain for my profession and my students effort. SO I let her have both barrels and told her in no uncertain terms, exactly what was wrong with the situation and tried with all my heart to get her to see that she had a son that was far more important then tennis, lunch dates or the constant flow of corona and lime.

I told the father later that I would refund his money since I left before we were done but he said no. He wasn't happy with me but he agreed that what I said was true. I expected to get sued but the warrant never came. I saw my student a few years later and he told me that after I left his mom and dad had a serious argument and over a few weeks time his dad started coming home earlier and helping him with schoolwork and doing other stuff. He said they both discovered a love of deep sea fishing and his dad bought a boat and they go out all the time. He said his mom still drinks and still treats everyone like "crap" . I don't think I changed anything, I just think by exploding it made the father take notice of a real problem in his sons life.

Anyway, i got lucky, it could have turned out bad for my student, thankfully it didn't.

23. Sagette

Sagette Companion

May 2, 2010

Just wanted to ditto what czacza posted. It really depends on your area. In upstate, NY tutors can get anywhere from $25-$35 for general education subjects like reading and enrichment tutoring to $50-$60 an hour for Calculus, SAT prep, Statistics, etc. For the work I put into my tutoring, I wouldn't do it for less than $35. Otherwise, between time, gas, and materials, it would cost me money :lol:

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2010

Chalk- If you are planning on making teaching your career, you WILL need to learn how to communicate with parents in a better way. There will be situations like this in your future classrooms, there will be other kinds of parent-child-home situations over which you have little control. There are ways to communicate with families without judging them- You may have felt disdain for your profession, yet your disdain for this family comes through clearly. While it may have ultimately worked out okay for the student, such 'exploding' will not serve you well as a professional. :2cents:

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 2, 2010

I make an equivalent of $10 an hour. It's actually $120 pesos/hour (sounds so much better in pesos).... Of course, the school determines the price (which is where the tutoring takes place).

26. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 2, 2010

Chalk, (sorry to hijack this thread, OP), I am so taken aback by your post.

I work in a school where I could find fault with many of the parents, particularly when it comes to alcohol or a lack of invested time with their children. My job is not to find fault or to be judgmental. My job is to bring out the best in each and every one of them, to realize that I do not know the path they have walked, that I am not BETTER than them, just different.

I hope that as time goes by, you realize that there are many different types of people in our world and you should treat each of them with respect (whether or not YOU believe they deserve it).

27. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 2, 2010

Keep your self superior attitudes to yourselves. I did what I though was right at the time. The kid didn't deserve to be treated like crap by his mother and nobody else wanted to step in on his behalf. You don't like the way I handled it, Tough. You wanna place the comfort of the parents over the best interest of the student, good for you. I will not, my students will always come first and if a parents needs to hear that the are a huge part of the problem then they will hear it from me.

28. Sagette

Sagette Companion

May 2, 2010

Well, good luck getting and keeping a job with that attitude :eek:hmy:

29. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 2, 2010

I didn't know we were supposed to be worried more about keeping our jobs then what is best for the students.

Do you all ignore abused kids to for fear of upsetting the parents?

30. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 2, 2010

Chalk,

Child abuse needs to be reported to the appropriate authorities immediately. In our profession, we are mandated reporters which means we can be held liable if a child is in danger and we do not report it.

Simply insulting a parent and giving them your opinion does not keep a child out of danger. If you believe this child is in danger, please report it immediately.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 2, 2010

I agree-- as mandated reporters we are required by law to report child abuse.

And there's a world of difference between "keeping our jobs" and handling a problem with professionalism and tact.

If you're now student teaching, and the incident took place several years ago, we can probably chalk it up to youthfulness and inexperience. You were, what?-- a college freshman or high school senioer??

As you grow in the profession, you'll learn that exploding at parents is not ever the way to accomplish what's in the best interests of the kids.

32. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 2, 2010

Look, I'm not saying what I did was right or wrong. It was just the way I handled the situation, I don't tolerate Monday morning quarterbacks.

I welcome constructive criticism, I have received none since bringing up this situation. It did happen years ago, I was a younger man. Now I am a disabled soldier who has a clearly defined sense of morals and duty. To that end I will never back down from anything that threatens the physical or mental wellbeing of my students if I judge them to be in danger. Not parents, not faculty, nothing. Any teacher who does less then this should quit.

If you anyone wishes to offer advice on a better way to have dealt with this parent, good I welcome it. If you simply wish to give me hell for the way I handled it then I suggest you keep it too yourself cause I got no use for you.

Now, recognizing that I am still new at teaching young people (as opposed to teaching young soldiers) I welcome your advice and criticism so I may work to get better at my profession.

33. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

May 3, 2010

Rates

Rates for tutoring around here seem to range from $45.00 to $60.00 per hour.