How much should a room in a house rent for?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Jul 4, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

My friend is having a rental issue. She lost her teaching job for next year but wants to stay in the area due to the fact that she has a really serious boyfriend, and with the way our districts are set up, this is literally the only district that you can work for and still live in this area. Anything else would be at least a 90 minute commute regularly, and keep in mind we have extreme weather a lot as well. Anyway, she's currently working a couple of part time jobs but obviously not making as much as she was in her full time teaching job. Another teacher who has a husband and toddler was looking for a house to rent, and they were going to have my friend rent a room in the house which would save them both money. Due to the extremely high cost of living in the area, this is not an uncommon set up for us "middle class" folks. The house is renting for 3200 a month- this is actually a great deal for the area- the only reason it's so "cheap" is because the house is way out of the way from everything and it's a student's parents who are offering the teacher a "deal." How much do you think my friend should pay to just rent the one room in the house?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 4, 2012

They could make it into a math problem. Find out the percentage of living space in the house she will have and then pay that percentage of rent/utilities. If she is going to have kitchen/living room/laundry room privileges, then that formula wouldn't really work but it might be a starting point.

4. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Jul 4, 2012

It really honestly just depends... from what I have gathered from various ads, a lot can come into play when someone is renting out a bedroom.

First, it depends on the homeowner's situation. The one you described above is a bit unclear... can the other teacher and her husband afford the home themselves without the help of your friend or no? Maybe they cannot afford to the entire cost of rent on their own, so the goal would be to split the costs evenly among whomever else moves in, including utilities. Or, the homeowner is in a good financial situation and just wants to rent out one of the bedrooms in their home to make a bit of extra money. In that case, the rent is usually fixed, and not quite as high as the previous situation.

Other aspects come into play. How much access to the house will the rentee have? Is the bedroom furnished or unfurnished? Is there a private bathroom, or one that is shared? Will bills be split 50/50 or will each person living in the home be responsible for certain bills? ex., Suzy pays the electric bill, Alex pays the internet/cable bill.

Looking at it, your friend should probably pay half, unless the teacher and her husband decide to 1/3 it, which I doubt will happen.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2012

I think it would be reasonable to pay $800-1000 for a room in a $3200 house with three other people, one of whom is a toddler.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2012

I was going to say $600/month.

How much is a studio apt in your area?

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

I'm honestly not sure that we have studio apartments. It's a small area. I live in a 1 bedroom in an affordable housing complex and pay almost 900 a month. My friend lives in the same complex as me. She was hoping to save money by just getting the room- I mean why would you pay more (or the same price) for just 1 room when you could have an entire apartment to yourself? I know "affordable housing" scares some people- but it's an extremely safe area and nothing to worry about, so that's not a concern. I mean, it's not nice or fancy and you can tell it's built cheaply, but it is a clean and safe area. If you look in the paper you'll see ads for rooms or lock offs and they're often 500-700 (usually the higher end ones come with utilities paid too), so I think that's more along the lines of what she was expecting.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2012

I was thinking a studio/ 1 bedroom would be $1000 plus utilities. So $600 would be reasonable to rent a room.

Does that $900- include utilities?

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

Nope, utilities are separate. My basic utilities (heat, water, trash, etc.) are usually around 100 a month. Internet is a ridiculously high price b/c we only have one company available that has a monopoly in our area and they know they can charge whatever they want. Internet with no cable or anything is 70 a month. I think most people can live without the cable but not without internet.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2012

Maybe I would go as high as $700- then....the savings of $300 a month may be worth the lack of privacy.

But also how much will it cost to move? U haul truck etc. That could easily cancel out 2-3 months savings.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

Since she is living with a family of three, she should pay no more than 1/4 of anything, in my opinion. So $800 max. That is not much of a savings.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

Agreed. And she would be giving up her privacy. It may be true that you shouldn't live with friends unless you don't want to be friends anymore.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

Haha, sad but true. I had an apartment with one of my best friends in college and by the end of it we were polite to each other when we had to interact and that was it. We somewhat mended things after we weren't living together anymore (she was from my hometown as well, and we have some mutual friends in the area) but we are nowhere near as close as we used to be.

I was telling her that I don't think it would be worth it unless it was a very significant savings...these living arrangements are kind of the culture of the area, so it's not really that unusual I guess, but personally I don't think I could do it- why on earth would you want to live with a toddler that is not yours? I would be very uncomfortable with that type of living situation. I think she doesn't know anyone else that could be a "regular" roommate in a 2 bedroom apartment or something (as in someone in a more similar situation to her who does not already have a family) so I guess it's fear that she could end up with some random psycho that's holding her back from that, lol.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 4, 2012

I had a sleeping room in a family's home. It was furnished, and I was permitted to bring a mini-fridge and microwave. The door had a lock, but the entrance was the regular house entrance. I paid $128 a week. That was 20 years ago, though.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2012

Do you have your own bathroom and kitchen access?
    What about cable and wifi?

At first I was going to say $3200/4 people=$800.
    But if you do not have the above, then $500 or utilities.

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

She would have to share the bathroom- I believe there is only one. She would not have a kitchen- she would bring a little fridge and a microwave. She said she makes dinner with b/f at his house a lot so this isn't as big of a deal as it seems. The room would be unfurnished.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

This sounds worse and worse...sharing a bathroom!?

I may have missed it, but she's currently living in an affording housing apartment for around $900 but just can't swing that any longer, right? If so, would she consider living with her boyfriend?

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

Yes, that's correct. She's currently working at a daycare for only around 13 dollars an hour, which is obviously significantly less than she made teaching.

I'm honestly not sure why she has not considered living with the bf. I know for sure that neither of them would have any moral qualms about it b/c they spend the night at each other's places frequently anyway and they talk about getting married as if it's a "when" and not an "if." They've been dating about 8 months, maybe she just doesn't feel like it's been long enough for that. She had been talking about living with the last guy she was dating, and basically the only reason they didn't do it was b/c she has a cat and he has a dog. About a month after they would have moved in, they had a pretty bad breakup- I can't imagine what it would have been like had they signed a 12 month lease! Maybe the thought of that is holding her back.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2012

Sharing a bathroom changes my original idea. I think she shouldn't pay more than $300.

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

I wouldn't do it. Id rather work a second job.

21. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 5, 2012

For a room with no kitchen access, unfurnished and shared bathroom with 3 other people around here is about $350/mo plus a portion of utilities.

Does she have furniture/other household things that would not fit in the bedroom that would have to be put in storage? That is an additional amount to spend each month as well.

I personally wouldnt do it. The 1 bathroom thing would be a definite no for me-- 3 people having to shower/get ready for work each morning would be an issue. I would take on a 2nd job in order to stay in my own apartment.

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

Getting a 2nd job isn't that easy around here...there is a huge population of people that work for the ski resorts in the winter, and that ends around April, so they snatch up those other non-degree required jobs (retail, waitressing, etc.) before teachers are out of school. Most places (even places like walmart or mcdonalds) require you to be bilingual, which makes sense given the population of the area. This isn't a problem for the hispanic population that has grown up with both languages, but for those of us that grew up monolingual becoming bilingual is a huge feat. Even if she got something, minimum wage is 8 dollars an hour I believe...she'd have to work 80 hours a week consistently with both jobs combined to even come close to what she made teaching. I can say that as someone that lives in the apartment complex on a teacher's salary, it's doable, but I almost never have money left over, and I watch very carefully. I also don't have student loans, a car payment, or a cell phone payment which is a situation most people aren't fortunate enough to be in.

23. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

We have had to rent this year starting in January. We rent one bedroom to a fella for $275/month. It is a nice location, just three miles from the hospital where he works, he has his own bathroom, use of the kitchen, living room, washer and dryer. We don't really know if that is to high or low. We prefer to be on the low side to help out because his wife is fighting off cancer.