How much school work do you do in the summer?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 6, 2016

Assuming you are still on a traditional calendar.....
    Because........
    I can honestly say I do virtually no school work during the summer, and never have. I travel to visit family, finish household jobs, actually cut the grass on a normal schedule, cook meals, read books with my 11 year old son, and do all the things I don't get to do during the school year. Occasionally I'll go to a training for a few days, or maybe even a week. But, I already have all of the CEUs I need to renew in 2017, so I didn't do that this year either.
    If you do work on school related things during the summer, what do you do?

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2016

Some summers I have taken classes, and they help with more pay and learning better ways to teach. The last few summers I have done some school work in the summer. I like to "work" by reading a good professional development book or two (If you can count reading by the pool actual work).

I also like to choose a subject area where I want to improve and decide to find some ideas, create some ideas, and be more prepared for the following year. It ends up making the school year far more fun for me. My suggestion is choose one of the 3 parts of the day: morning, afternoon, or evening to do the work. Then spend the other 2 parts for family, fun, and house work. I like to do school work in the mornings and then do all cleaning, errands, and having fun social time with family and friends on afternoons, evenings, and weekends.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2016

I do a lot, though it's been so spread out and I've had a hard time focusing so far. Last summer I did a book club professional development, and this summer I had one meeting at the beginning of the summer which I'll do a bit of follow up with throughout the summer. I'm trying to read 25-30 books my students would/should read (so far I'm on book #7 in the first 20ish days...slacked off recently), trying to jot up unit plans for everything so that I'm much more on top of things this year (even though my team will just don't need the unit plans), need to consider/prepare materials for a classroom economy if I go that route, prepare extension activities, rearrange my approach towards reading (per my reading of The Book Whisperer), and much more.

My wife still works as a full time store manager though, so I'm sort of stuck into having a bunch of down time. I'll still get plenty of walking and disc golfing in :)

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2016

I've posted about this before, but I do none because I feel like it ends up being a waste of time. One year I was starting a new job and the P had given me teacher editions for the reading/math curriculums so I could "do my planning" over the summer. About halfway through the summer when I'd virtually done nothing with those books, I posted here and asked if that was okay and several posters chastised me for not preparing for the new job. I tried to look at the books but just had too many questions, so I didn't get any real planning done. When I started the job in the fall, I found out that the admins had decided "following curriculums" was the reason for poor test scores. We basically weren't allowed to use the programs we had at all unless it was just a small part here and there. I am SO glad I didn't spend my entire summer planning around those curriculums! I also found out that the district put out a pacing guide we were required to follow, the school dictated when we would teach each subject each day, and some of my classroom management ideas didn't work with certain school policies. Virtually anything I would have done would have been a complete waste of time and would have had to be redone.

Even now that I've been at the same school for three years, we seem to be doing tons of new things every year. New programs, new policies, other new ways of doing things, etc. Often these aren't rolled out until PD held right before school starts. I hate doing the same work twice so I'm not going to waste time doing something in the summer that will just have to be redone anyway.

I actually would be willing to attend PD or classes if I really thought they would be valuable and/or I was being paid to attend. My city has done a couple of things that looked cool, but they're always on Saturdays during the school year. I'd be far more willing to go on a weekday in the summer than on a Saturday during the year! Earlier this summer my P called and asked if I'd be interested in (voluntary) Wilson training. That's something I would have done because I feel like it would be beneficial. Unfortunately she only gave me a one week notice and I already had an out of town trip planned, so I didn't attend. I'm actually a little bummed that I missed it.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2016

I read a lot of books from our literature circle sets, a couple of professional book and do some (low-key) planning. I will be teaching a couple of new subjects next year, so do have to do some more focused prep for those. I'll also be attending a 3-day workshop organized by our teachers' federation (union). I find that I see most things through my "teacher eye"--I'm always on the lookout for articles and other materials I can use in the classroom.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 7, 2016

We're required to do 18 hours of professional development during each school year. We have the option to start it as soon as the previous school year ends so I figure it's better to do it in the summer than fit it in during the school year. This year I'm also trying to read as many books as I can off the summer reading list for our middle school. There are 45 books on it and I've read about 12 so far. I'll also do some regular planning as I got switched from 6th grade Social Studies to 6th grade Language Arts so need to learn a whole new program. I am also starting my Masters online as of Monday so I'll have that as well.

I like to balance my summer with relaxation/stuff with my family and getting ready for the school year.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2016

I teach several grade levels each year so I spend summer adding the next years curriculum to my lesson plans. It gives me time to relax in the recliner and catch up on Netflix, DVR shows, etc!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 7, 2016

I've done a couple of CE credit classes through EdWeb and am reading a couple of books. My main collaborator is in Florida on vacation.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2016

I usually just do some crafty type things for my room when I want. This year we switched curriculum, so I'm actually going to have to do some real work. Ugh. I'll start on it next week, I guess. I go back on July 25th.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2016

The ast week of August, right before school starts, I'll go in to do a little bit of room set up. Other than that, really not thinking about school work. I'm busy working on my tan, reading and perfecting a fresh lime margarita recipe.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 7, 2016

I've done nothing so far.

13. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 7, 2016

I'm doing more than I had planned to do because I am laid up with a broken ankle and a huge cast :(

Among other things, I am writing up procedures and plans for next year (new school, new grade level), looking over what I can of the curriculum (don't have full access or a TG yet), doing some online PD that I got funded through Donor's Choose, and trolling Pinterest.