How much school work do you actually do over break?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RadiantBerg, Dec 21, 2013.

1. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 21, 2013

My plan is to take 2-3 days of my break (which is pretty long this year) to get most of my January plans and assessments done to make for an easy transition back. Last year this was my plan as well, but it didn't work out like that since I just needed the break to relax too much. Do you do any work over break?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2013

Most years I have worked the majority of all my breaks doing things for the classroom...plans, making centers and activities, etc.

This year I am spending 0 time. Since I am retiring I don't need to make anything new and our team plans together during the week.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 21, 2013

I'll be spending at least two full workdays planning ahead and grading. I also have some books to read, to see if I want to assign them to any kids.

5. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 21, 2013

Next to none, although I will review some lesson plans for next year and fine tune several projects and activities. That won't take very long though.

I try not to do too much. During the holidays we travel so the time just isn't there.

I plan to do my lesson plan review on the plane.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2013

Congratulations!:thumb: Enjoy whatever comes next!:thumb:

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2013

Thanks!

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2013

Lots. I have to create my midterm and final exams for exam week in mid-January. I also have to start planning for a new course I'll be teaching second semester.

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2013

Given that I just started full time teaching a couple weeks ago, umm, tons. I filled up a box full of materials to bring home, so I'll probably do a bunch while at home, but will also go in a couple days at least to the classroom to work in there, and one day to another school to do a bit of planning with a teacher I did a bunch of subbing for (she has quite a few resources she is willing to share). And with my set of math competition tests to finish writing...it'll be a busy, busy break (not to mention I haven't done any shopping for Christmas!). Nonetheless, this is my first time in ages that I've had more than a couple days where I don't have to be anywhere, so it feels at least somewhat relaxing :)

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2013

I'm planning to spend 3 days doing marking, planning and getting a head start on report cards. I also have 5 books to read for a book club I'll be running in the new year, but I don't count that as work for school.

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 21, 2013

Zero. We have two teacher workdays on January 2 and 3. Kids return January 6. Anything that needs to get done before the 6th will get done on those days.

12. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 21, 2013

zero, this break is just for me. I've worked on many other breaks though.

13. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 21, 2013

I have about 120 research papers to grade as well as other random turned in work and I have an entire curriculum for a new class for the 2014-2015 due when I return. We go back on the 6th, so probably the 2nd-5th will be work-related at some points each day.

I work best from 9-2 am, though so I'll probably still have my days open.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2013

Zero.

My break time is for my family, this year more than ever.

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2013

My DH said earlier today that I have two weeks to do nothing. Unfortunately, that is not true. I would like to get ahead planning reading lessons and making PPTs, plan math lessons to make sure that all lessons are covered before the next district assessment. No grading to do because our grades were due before we left for break. Additionally, I have to find ways to revamp my class. This is the most disruptive class I've had in my 10 years of teaching.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 21, 2013

I don't have anything!

Our grades were due Thursday. Report cards went home Friday. I am going to be out until January 27th, so I have all of my plans for the 6th through the 24th all ready to go for my sub.

I may go to work for a few hours Monday to get some cleaning & organizing done. Maybe not. I'll need to feed my fish every 2-3 days.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2013

Regarding work from work...none!

There is some grad school extra work I should start on soon though. :mad:

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 21, 2013

As little as possible. I'll spend an afternoon going over my January units - seeing if there is anything I want to 'tweak' or update. But then I'll put it all away and enjoy my time off. Recharging is an important part of the break.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 22, 2013

I'm probably going to work 2 or 3 days, but not the entire day. I have grading, planning, and prepping to do. I want to get ahead so I can maintain my sanity when we go back in January and don't have another break longer than a 3 day weekend until April.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 22, 2013

Me, too.

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 22, 2013

I probably will spend 3ish days thinking about school.

22. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 22, 2013

The semester ended for us when we left for break so I do not have any student work to deal with. I only plan on flipping through a few books.

23. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 22, 2013

Not a thing. All I brought home were several gifts from my students, my purse, and me!

24. mkate

mkate Comrade

Dec 22, 2013

I am going to be doing a LOT of work, but mostly after the kids are in bed, so it won't be too much different from a regular week.

25. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2013

None. :D

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 22, 2013

I have no grading to do because our 2nd quarter ended on the 20th. (I remember when I was student teaching our semester ended in January and I was grading 70+ 5 paragraph essays + classwork. Definitely don't miss that.)

I will plan up to the Spring Break and map out what I want to do through the end of the year. I already have an idea but I want complete lesson plans for 3 months.
    That was my plan for the fall and for the most part it worked, but I left out 2-3 weeks in October and I definitely felt it. I was also moving during that time so I lived day to day, which I don't like.

27. flewthecoop

flewthecoop Rookie

Dec 22, 2013

Zero! We have a teacher workday on the 2nd, I'll do anything/everything then. I don't have much to do, though.

28. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 22, 2013

None. I made sure I was planned for the Monday and Tuesday after break before I left at the end of last week. I also gathered/made all of my materials, copied, etc. for those two days. I'd rather enjoy some true time off then try to get ahead. I typically don't plan too far into the future anyway because I find I have to change so much as the week goes on anyway. To each their own! We have report cards due in mid-January, but there is a work day before that where I'll have time to write them.

29. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 22, 2013

I have just finished finalizing grades. I probably won't do any school work over the break until two days before the end. Then I will probably have to work for two days straight lol.

30. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 23, 2013

I will review lesson plans for the next two weeks, make any alterations and copies of materials.
    Then I will pamper myself! Get a much needed neck massage, get my hair done with extensions, get my nails done, schedule a ladies night. Something other than a strip club, though. :)

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2013

None

32. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 23, 2013

Same here!

33. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 23, 2013

Alright call me naive, but those of you with NO work to do, how do you do it? Are you already planned and prepped through January? The grading thing was out of my control - we have progress reports due in January and JUST got our grading template a week before break (super), but I can't see how I could have gotten out of planning and prepping....maybe it's because I'm still a new teacher (2nd year)...? I'm going to plan through the next ELA unit, create word work for Daily 5, create math centers, make some interactive whiteboard presentations...etc etc...

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2013

Our trimester ended Friday.

I've already planned the first week back, with long range planning till June done last summer.

The only real work I have this week to to become more fluent on the graphing calculator, which I'll be teaching to my SAT prep classes in January. Beyond that, though, I could walk into my other classes right now and be prepared to teach the next lesson.

35. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2013

Maybe two days. By the pool. I just want to revamp my next unit, set it up for Socratic seminar, write it out in unit-format. I also found out I need to basically script any questions I want to ask while reading the novel and include them in my lesson plans :)|), so I guess I need to transfer them from the margins of the book to a piece of paper :rolleyes:

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2013

I usually do no work over the break. However, I think I still have baout 5 pending writings to grade. I do hope to get that done.

37. joann34

joann34 New Member

Dec 24, 2013

Hardly any time. During holidays I always try to spend time with family, although I will take a couple of days to review some lesson plans