How much reading should be done out loud?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ifightaliens, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

When I was a student teacher, my co-op had the students read EVERYTHING out loud in class, short stories, plays, novels, etc. These were Freshmen, Sophomores and Seniors, so it was a wide scope.

My question is, how much of your reading assignments do you have the students read out loud in class?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009

Not that much. When we're doing a novel, I assign the reading to be done at home and we review and discuss in class. When we do Shakespeare, we read aloud in class, but I "zip down the rows" and have students read one speech each, so everyone reads a little rather than having a few students play the parts. When we do poetry, I do most of the reading. I think it's more important for me to model expressive reading while they follow in their books than to have my students struggle through it, and research shows that reading aloud doesn't benefit the reader much at all. Besides, I'm a big ham. :D

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 25, 2009

I rarely have my students read aloud. I assign short independent reading in class. I also do a lot of expressive reading to my students while they follow along. (I have juniors and seniors). I find they LOVE to be read to and I think it helps with their reading skills.

5. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

I think it would depend on how often and why. Most of the research I have examined suggests that when THEY are reading aloud they don't learn a ton from the process. However, reading to them can be a useful exercise, especially if its done in a shared reading/read aloud format.

6. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Feb 26, 2009

Not much. Also, when I was in college, I was always told to never have a student read something out loud that she hadn't already read silently.

I love to read to my students and I find that they love to be read to... regardless of age.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 26, 2009

Read-aloud is my favorite time of the day. I find my students are the most attentive then, too.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2009

We read aloud in my class because it helps with our pronunciation of Latin.

Occasionally we have "story time"....The kiddos push all the desks to the perimeter of the room, sit or lie on the floor, turn off the lights, and listen while I read a myth (in English) to them. They (high school students) love it when we do this. :lol: