How much prep/plan time do you get?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by tracykaliski, Jan 6, 2010.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2010

I'm particularly interested in hearing from other Montessori teachers. Do you have planning/prep time during the week, or do you have to do it on your own time? How much time do you get? How much time do you usually need?

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jan 6, 2010

Very little plan time. Maybe 30 minutes. Most of my stuff is done at home. I just told my husband how I hit the door running and I get no breaks during the day (except for lunch) which on some days can be as little as 15 minutes or not at all. A lot of off-the-clock days too. Writing progress reports takes up 2 weekends. I am not suprised that teachers get burned out.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2010

Wow. That sounds stressful. How long are you at school every day?

I was there from 7 am to 5:30 pm yesterday, didn't even really sit down all day, just like you. Plus, we eat lunch with the kids. I was thinking how different it might be if I actually had a place to go to sit for even 15 minutes to have a cup of coffee or a little snack.

5. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Jan 7, 2010

Prep-time

Hi there,

At our Montessori school, we get a half an hour before the kids come and half an hour at the ed of the day. We also get a 45 min lunch break, which alot of teachers use for planing, prep. etc.

It still requires alot of "off the clock time".

It is shocking that you don't get lunch breaks. I doubt the teachers here would be ok with that.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2010

So, what are the hours you're supposed to be at work each day? Our hours are 7:30-3:30 or 4. I'm usually there at 7 and stay until 4:30 or 5 each day.

7. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Jan 7, 2010

Our school day is 8:30-3:30 and our work day is 8:00-4:00. How much of your day is prep time?

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

Not much really. I get an hour and a half once a week. That's it. I go in early because I have a lot of practical life work that needs to be set up and it takes a while. Plus, I try to change a few things before the kids get there if I can. It doesn't always work out that way, so I end up staying late and doing it then.

We get a 15 minute break in the morning, and then another 15 minute break in the afternoon. We eat lunch with children and we are outside with the children as well when they're at recess.

9. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Jan 9, 2010

I'm suprised you don't get "prep time". I mean time to make snack, set up PL works etc. At the end of the day, it is cleaning the tables, mopping, dishes etc.

So you are essentially "paid" only for the time that the kdis are there?

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2010

Oh no, I'm paid to be there by 7:30 and the kids get there at 8, so there's a half hour before they get there to set up. I'm usually there by 7, though, because I have so much practical life to set up.

I have an hour and a half once a week to change materials built into the schedule, when I'm not with children.