How much pay will YOU give up to get more jobs?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rnhung, Apr 15, 2009.

1. rnhung

rnhung Rookie

Apr 15, 2009

Hello,

I've been a sub for 5-6 weeks now (I'm still a newbie), and I've been reading a lot about lack of assignments, etc. What scared me most was on THE orientation day 6 weeks ago, the administrator told us that present substitutes were ALREADY complaining about the lack of jobs (why they chose to hire me I don't know).

And believe it or not, I have been getting 4 assignments every week through accepting it through the district's online system (SubFinder). There's never any jobs avail when I manually check, but given my programming background, I've made something that allows me to "check" the page for me.

So I was in bed last night, thinking... is there a chance I could market this AND make money out of it? Would you guys pay for something that gets jobs for you guys? I haven't thought too much about this (and I don't even know if its going to work even), but what do you guys think?

I know that the veteran subs may already have connections w/ the district and have calls 6 out of the 5 weekdays, but what about the others?

Thanks for reading.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2009

I think if this is a form of 'hacking' then it's best not to advertise that you have been able to over-ride the program and get in. First of all, sharing the info will now create all that additional competition for you, all vying presumably for the same few subbing jobs. Second of all, once the word 'got out' that you were able to somehow go around the system, you may find yourself 'banned' by the districts that are now employing you as a sub. I'd keep it to yourself.

4. palla

palla Companion

Apr 15, 2009

If you are talking about a program that checks certain websites for changes on a regular basis, it is already out there for free. I have used something in the past that would check job sites for new postings every morning. It would let me know if there were changes. I know you can also set it up to check for key words and how often you wanted it to check for you, but I haven't used it since I changed computers two years ago.

5. rnhung

rnhung Rookie

Apr 15, 2009

Oh no, it is not hacking, nor I have any intention of it to be any thing of the sort to get "into" their system. I'm sorry if I made it sound like something malicious.

I guess the thing I designed (w/ use of Macros) is similar. I'm glad there are programs out there that are free to use. I think it would be a good idea to share the names of some.

6. azure

azure Companion

Apr 17, 2009

One is Jobulator which was created in conjunction with AESOP but is not available to all AESOP users. The school district has to make that option available to its users. Assignment Assistant is another one but it's certainly not free.

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 17, 2009

rnhung if you do not mind me asking, what districts are you currently subbing at?

8. rnhung

rnhung Rookie

Apr 17, 2009

Due to the comments here I think it would be best if I don't reveal the district... I don't want to get called tomorrow by HR -- "Can we schedule a meeting with you? Your sub privileges are temporarily suspended."

I just looked at those two websites and yes, what I have done for myself is similar to that of those two services. I guess I'm not the first to think of something like this...

After seeing Jobulator and Assignment Assistant, does that imply that using something like this is OK'ed by districts?

Anyway, let this thread continue as a discussion.

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 18, 2009

That's ok rnhung, I understand.

10. azure

azure Companion

Apr 19, 2009

Anybody use Assignment Assistant

Is there anybody out there who uses Assignment Assistant and can comment on it?

There is something about their website that makes me uneasy. The text on their Forum page has two misspellings and no one has written any comments. Makes me wonder if it's a scam.

Our district has not made Jobulator available so I can't sign up for it.

11. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Apr 21, 2009

^^^I noticed that too azure. Hopefully someone can chime in and give their comments on Assignment Assistant.